75mm aspheric lens source

gt40

Enlightened
I ordered a 75mm/ 50mm focal length lens from here:

http://search.newport.com/?q=*&x2=sku&q2=KPA055

Anyone have any experience with these? I have been pretty happy with the mg lens I have on my mag c aspheric and this one looks similar. Dividing the focal of the mg lens= .71 vs .66 for the 75mm lens.

I am going to make a 10 amp sst90 light with it using my mag switch design and adding a LdO10c driver and more battery, kinda like a big brother to the small aspheric light I built. Any suggestions on the most compact, highest density battery solution would be appreciated.

I will post more after it arrives.

ahorton

Enlightened
I will post more after it arrives.

Looking forward to seeing it.

The price seems very high to me so I hope it turns out to be very high quality.

The focal length also seems a bit long but we'll see how it goes.

Walterk

Enlightened
I have some similar expensive lenses, (Edmunds, Thorlabs) and did some tests here.
My conclusion is that the 75mm aspheric from DealExtreme is the very best value for money.

FWIW :whistle:

gt40

Enlightened
I have some similar expensive lenses, (Edmunds, Thorlabs) and did some tests here.
My conclusion is that the 75mm aspheric from DealExtreme is the very best value for money.

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and ordered the deal extreme lens also so it will be interesting to see if this lens is better than that one. The focal length on the specs seems in between the thor and edmunds that you tested.

Here is the diagram of its shape:

KPA055: BFL= 30.5 mm, P2= -19.50 mm, Tc= 30.0 mm, Te= 3.0 mm, S2= Plano

Also, for anyone who wants to try, MG has both a 75mm and 84mm lens:

http://www.cvimellesgriot.com/Produ...denser-Lenses.aspx?lastSearch=LAG-84.0-79.0-C

Last edited:

gt40

Enlightened
Update:

I got the lens. I cant wait to put it in front of an led. The clarity is flawless.

I just don't know if it will throw.

Top shot:
lens1.jpg

Clarity is decent:
lens2.jpg

Side profile:
lens3.jpg

gt40

Enlightened
Scratch this lens off the list. I held it in front of my sst90 led on my new light I built and if you get it to show the die and square shape, there is tremendous spill. I compared it to the mg 52mm lens and there was no spill as was the case on the 32mm lens I normally have on the light.

Walterk

Enlightened
Scratch this lens off the list. ......tremendous spill

Are you talking the Newport lens here?
Assuming the above photo's are the same Newport lens?

Edit: I had the same experience with the Edmunds 75mm lens with too short focallength.

Last edited:

gt40

Enlightened
Yeah, the pics are the 75mm /50 fl Newport lens. I guess I will machine a base holder for it and give it to my 12 year old as an aspheric magnifying glass. What I really would like would be something in the 4-5" range with no spill and clarity.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scratch this lens off the list. I held it in front of my sst90 led on my new light I built and if you get it to show the die and square shape, there is tremendous spill. I compared it to the mg 52mm lens and there was no spill as was the case on the 32mm lens I normally have on the light.
Not surprised. It looked just like the Thorlabs version with its overly bulbous profile. A slightly longer focal length is better for our application.

moviles

Enlightened

nice !!!!!!!!

you have received jet the dx 75 mm lens?

total thickness? focal lenght? perfect focus without flood effect?

bigtodd

Newly Enlightened
I have some lenses like that layin in my tool box at work! I work on BMW cars and they use those in the headlights, I saved them from broken lights, I never really had a use for them just too cool to throw in the trash!!

bigtodd

Newly Enlightened
I measured the lenses I have, one is 75mm and 3 are 65mm, they look to be high quality. I tried one in front of my Element k2 and it threw a nice bright square spot a long way!! gt40, they aren't as "domed" as the one in the pic you posted, if you'd like one to play around with I have more than I will use!

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3" (~75mm) HID Projector lens for car headlights are very good,
either the OEM type or the after market ones should be fine.
The original DEFT thread used one of those car headlight lens.

I got a pair for $40 on ebay & used it to make the Frenken MagDEFT SST-50, well over 100K Lux @ 1meter:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/268894

img0584a.jpg

It has a profile similar to the DX66mm lens, which I first tried it here in March: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/264722
It's quite good too, ~100K lux with XPG. Excellent value for the money & the light is more portable than the 75mm lens.

For playing in the 75mm range, I highly recommend the Dragon Aspherical Head, For $55 shipped, you get the lens, the head with beefy heat sink & the protective Bezel to allow head-stand:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280670

It came out more lux than the MagDEFT but it's because the higher current pumped into the Mag Dragon SST-50. (MagDEFT used 2x DX P7 Driver in parallel, pumps 5 Amp into SST-50; MagDrgon used a lucky low Vf SST-50,
which scored >7Amp direct drive with IMR 26650 & ~6 Amp after fit into the flashlight.

It has a bigger spot than the MagDEFT due to shorter EFL, but still excellent quality, very efficient, no wasted spills.

img4765.jpg

I haven't tried the DX 75mm, but I ordered the new DX 100mm,
From the picture, I couldn't tell if it's even an Aepheric lens at all.
I am hoping it is & praying that it's a good lens too, we'll see.
Don't have a body for it, but can't let that stop me :cool:

Last edited:

gt40

Enlightened
I measured the lenses I have, one is 75mm and 3 are 65mm, they look to be high quality. I tried one in front of my Element k2 and it threw a nice bright square spot a long way!! gt40, they aren't as "domed" as the one in the pic you posted, if you'd like one to play around with I have more than I will use!

I would love to try one. I can pm you my address and can paypal you for shipping etc.

bigtodd

Newly Enlightened
gt40, the 65mm lenses I have look better than the 75mm, the 75mm has little rings that you can see in it but I don't think it effects the beam. PM me with your address and I'll send you a couple to try! I also have some fiber optic cable and xenon transformers and bulbs, all kinds of neat stuff inside BMW headlights!!:twothumbs

moviles

Enlightened
the total thickness of the dx 75mm lens are only 26mm the focal lengt will be big :mad:

what are the total thickness of the flaydragon lens? good focal lenght?

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
the total thickness of the dx 75mm lens are only 26mm the focal lengt will be big :mad:

what are the total thickness of the flaydragon lens? good focal lenght?

Didn't take the lens off but buy eyeballing it, probably 10mm to 1/2 inch thicker.