ZebraLight Mods

Shorty66

Enlightened
Hey guys!
I have seen a lot of cool mods for Zebralights from different peoples around here and thought, that it would be quite cool to have one Thread which contains them all.

I suggest, that everyone who has made some Mods posts ONE post to this Thread containing all his Mods.
I would like to keep this Thread clean, so keep discussion to a minimum.

I will start with the next post in this Thread and hopefully you all join me.

Last edited:

Shorty66

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight Mods

I have the H60, H501 and H51 and modded them all - here is a full list of every mod i did with Zebralights:

H60
Headstrap mod - less bouncy (no pics)
Headstrap mod - lower bulk (no pics)

Headstrap mod - added pocketclip

Headstrap mod - Zipka-style retractable headband

Pocketclip mod - tiny permanently mounted clip

Magnet mod - Glued on the Tailcap (no pics)

H501

Headstrap mod - Zipkastyle retractable headband (see H60)
Headstrap mod - Plastic clipped headband
Headstrap mod - ultra low bulk fixed lenght EDC headband

Magnet mod - internal magnet in the tailcap between PCB and tailcap

H51
Headstrap mod - ultra low bulk variable lenght EDC headband

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for starting this thread. I have posted many pictures of my H501, but they are scattered everywhere. It's good to have them in one place. This way when someone asks about ZL light mods, we can send them here.

Some background information first:

I adhere to the "the only useful tool is the one you have with you when you need it" philosophy. Imagine you are sitting on the toilet and the lights go out. At this point it's what you have with you that counts, not what's in your bag in the office or in the car. Thus, I try to carry my tools on me everywhere I go.

The stock headband, clip and silicon light holder are a hair too bulky for on-person EDC. I have added magnets to the tail and replaced the headband with a much smaller adjustable lanyard, the clip with a much smaller Fenix clip, and the silicon holder with an elastic band, as shown below. A suction cup and a USB computer light add even more functions to the light. The USB light stays in the backpack while the lanyard, H501 and suction cup are on-person EDC.
IMG_5564.jpg

Worn around the neck for a very discreet use in public when wearing a headband is not possible.
IMG_5188.jpg

IMG_5182.jpg

The same adjustable lanyard becomes the headband if needed.
IMG_5543.jpg

The light can also be clipped to clothing for discreet use.
IMG_2774.jpg

The magnets really make the light even more versatile: as overhead light.
IMG_4442.jpg

As shower light
IMG_3744.jpg

The magnet can also turn the H501 into a lighted magnetic pick-up tool.
IMG_5105.jpg

The flexible USB computer light can turn the H501 into a pocket desk lamp.
IMG_4499.jpg

Or even a book light.
IMG_5222.jpg

IMG_5194.jpg

The suction cup lets me attach the light to any smooth non-metallic surface. It can be very useful in public bathrooms.
IMG_5474.jpg

IMG_5479.jpg

With some elastic band attached to a hat, the H501 can become a hat light too.
IMG_4994.jpg

How about a ceiling light with a pushpin and some dental floss?
IMG_4061.jpg

The above uses don't mean much if I can't carry it with me. The modded H501 is so small that it can be carried discreetly in the pocket or on the belt. What other headlamps can you carry like this?
IMG_4540AZ.jpg

Here is the H501 in a small phone case along with MACE. Please note that the bulky stock clip wouldn't have fitted inside.
IMG_5569.jpg

Update: I re-arranged some tools on the belt for a more symmetrical look.
IMG_5642D.jpg

The same setup when I workout.
IMG_5644.jpg

That is all for now. I sincerely hope these mods will inspire other ZL light owners to come up with ideas to make their ZL lights even more useful.

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic

Nice! What did you use for the retractable cord mechanism?

dyril

Newly Enlightened

@davidt1: I saw your pics before, on EDCF; I especially like the belt, as that seems universally practical. Is it custom made?

I assume these mods use rare earth magnets? I'm already waiting on some from a couple of DealΕxtreme orders..

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

@davidt1: I saw your pics before, on EDCF; I especially like the belt, as that seems universally practical. Is it custom made?

I assume these mods use rare earth magnets? I'm already waiting on some from a couple of DealΕxtreme orders..

dyril,

No, the belt is not custom made. It's a strap that is available at walmart and other places. The sheaths are homemade. They are very easy to make.

I bought the magnets from DX too, but I am not sure what type they are though.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great ideas here guys!:thumbsup:

Way before the H31 was introduced, I made my own version using an H30 host along with an McR10 reflector and a Q3-5A XP-E.
Also shown is an H30 that I put a neutral XP-G in.
Next to them are an H30 direct from Zebralight with a Q3-5A XR-E and another with a Red XR-E.

007-50.jpg

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

DaFABRICATA,

You are the man. Hats off to you.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast

img1766bv7.jpg

A mod done for the H30.
The stock ring/screws were replaced with thicker/longer ones to prevent 'pocket burn'.

Just ordered a H51 today BTW :D

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is another way to use your ZL light hand-free. You need 2 safety pins and some cloth or elastic stuff. Here I use the elastic stuff.
IMG_5654.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

I am nuts about the magnets on my H501. You can use them to attach your ZL light to a lot of things for hand-free use. Say you are a student or traveler sitting in a dimly lit hallway or bus stop and want to do some reading. Sure you can use ZL light as a headlamp (too nerdy?), neck lamp (my favorite), or as a desk lamp (with the flexible wire attachment).

Or you can just attach the light to your backpack like this.
IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

Last edited:

Belstaff1464

Enlightened
Thanks for the ideas, guys !!!

@ davidt1, where did you get the lanyard attachment from ? Did you make that yourself ? Are the magnets attached to the outside of the light ?

Thanks ! You take the McGyver Award !! :twothumbs

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the ideas, guys !!!

@ davidt1, where did you get the lanyard attachment from ? Did you make that yourself ? Are the magnets attached to the outside of the light ?

Thanks ! You take the McGyver Award !! :twothumbs

Belstaff1464,

The lanyard attachment is homemade. It's real easy to make. If you own a Zl light, you definitely want to use it this way. I wasn't the first person to use it like this though. As best as I can tell CPF member uplite was the first person to wear his ZL light around his neck. I was skeptical at first. Then I tried a month later and was hooked on the convenience. Now I even wear my H501 around my neck when I sleep. The great thing about the lanyard is it is also the headband. There is no need to carry another headband.

Yes, the magnets are attached to the outside of the light.

Last edited:

jag-engr

Enlightened
Check out this H50 setup by 0dBm on EDCF - he hangs the H50 up-side down on a paracord lanyard and carries it around his neck. It limits the headlamp utility, but may be a good option for some.

I'm going to be getting an H51 soon - does anyone have any ideas for attaching a tritium vial? I'm considering removing the GITD o-ring and putting two or three in the o-ring groove.

Alternately, there are parts of the light thick enough to mill a slot, but I'm not that brave. :eek:

cistallus

Enlightened
... The lanyard attachment is homemade. It's real easy to make. If you own a Zl light, you definitely want to use it this way. ...
Could you provide more detail on how to make one? Materials, parts, lengths, methods? I can't quite figure out everything from the photos.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you provide more detail on how to make one? Materials, parts, lengths, methods? I can't quite figure out everything from the photos.

Hi cistallus,

Thank you for asking this question because it gave me chance to make another headband, as I only made one the first time. The idea is really simple: you want something to hold the light in place on your head. The stock headband is too bulky for neck wear. If you want something smaller, you have to make it. Anyway, this one I just made consists of a cordlock, some elastic material, and a wide shoelace. All these materials can be purchased at Walmart.

How to make it:

1. Cut enough elastic stuff to make a tight fit around the light and sew the ends together.

2. Put shoelace through elastic band and put the ends of shoelace through the cordlock.

I actually like this one better than the one I posted. My H501 provides light for this shot, by the way.
IMG_5677.jpg

Last edited:

cistallus

Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

I think I'd just give myself acupuncture if I tried to sew, perhaps I'd glue or staple the elastic part.

How does the wide shoelace work when used as a headband instead of a neck lanyard? Most shoelaces aren't very elastic, wouldn't it slip off or have to be cinched up too tight on the head? All of the headbands I've seen have elastic for the headband part.

Also, where did you get that "Fenix clip", and did you modify it? - looks like it has heat shrink or something over the clip part, unless that's the way it arrived.

moses

Enlightened
Great Thread!

When the 501F arrives, I'd love to be able to mod it with a HIGH CRI Led. Anyone up to try it? So far, I think there are two manufacturers of high CRI LED. That would be the perfect wide angle beam for close up work, giving great color rendition and depth.

M

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.

I think I'd just give myself acupuncture if I tried to sew, perhaps I'd glue or staple the elastic part.

How does the wide shoelace work when used as a headband instead of a neck lanyard? Most shoelaces aren't very elastic, wouldn't it slip off or have to be cinched up too tight on the head? All of the headbands I've seen have elastic for the headband part.

Also, where did you get that "Fenix clip", and did you modify it? - looks like it has heat shrink or something over the clip part, unless that's the way it arrived.

It doesn't matter how you do it. Just do it. You will be glad you did. But sewing is the best, I think. Once you start using your ZL as a neck lamp, you will rarely need to use it as a headlamp.

The wide shoelace is a little elastic. It works fine as a headband. Did I say I like it more than the elastic headband I posted previously?

I got the Fenix clip from Lighthound. I flattened it and put some heat shrink over the clip part. Unless you want to clip your ZL light to a shirt, there is no need for a clip. I bought the clip before I started using the light as a neck lamp. Now that I have been using it as a neck lamp, there is no need for the clip. It's there because it doesn't take up that much space.

Today I learned that wearing the light as close to the neck as possible is the best position. Now I can look up without having to use it as a headlamp. I can't believe it took months for me to realize this. Just before posting here, I used my H501 in this position to make a meal, ate it and brushed my teeth afterward.

Shoelace headband in action. I ran a little to test it. It's very comfortable. It is always on my neck and has other uses. At work it carries my work ID. It's also a shoelace should I need one.
IMG_5681.jpg

Last edited: