Adjustable focus flashlight recommendation?

ephesus

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a LED flashlight with adjustable focus powered by AA's or CR123s. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Focusing mechanisms tend to waste a lot of light... Any particular reason you're interested in a focusing light, instead of a light with decent spill light?

I don't like to recommend them, but check out LEDLenser. Only a few of their models are regulated, though.

shipwreck

Enlightened
I have 2 of these:

C30's at Deal Extreme (just goodle it - apparently we are not allowed to post links to there)

Super cheap too. I was actually surprised at the results...

** Moderated: DX link replaced with SKU # 18697 **

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Focusing mechanisms tend to waste a lot of light... Any particular reason you're interested in a focusing light, instead of a light with decent spill light?

I don't like to recommend them, but check out LEDLenser. Only a few of their models are regulated, though.

I have the Led Lenser M1 and P14.

The Led Lenser P14 is not regulated and only uses a resistor to get the lower mode and is focusable like most Led Lensers.

The M1 is regulated and is focusable.

It even has a low mode and strobe function.

The "M" series of Led Lensers is the MICROPROCESSOR series that regulates the output for dimming and strobe functions etc.

The only irritation I have found is that it automatically dims when the torch heats up after about five minutes as obviously the torch does not have enough heatsinking because of its small size.

The M1 is a CR123 battery type torch and it will not work on rechargeable RCR123s.

I keep it in my bag as a backup torch and it fits the pocket very easily.

I don't think I would ever buy another CR123 type torch as the batteries are not cheap in small quantaties here in Australia.

Rechargeable batteries are so much more economical IMHO. :whistle:

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
The romisen RC29 is decent in that it uses the latest XP-G emitter, which is very rare for a focus light.
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-180/**NEW**-Romisen-RC-dsh-29-II/Detail

Sadly, focusable lights are the red-headed stepchild of the lighting world apparently. Most are old emitter, old tech with weak output.

Id love to see a GOOD XP-G with 1x18650 focusable that is actually driven at 1 amp or more for some decent output. But they dont exist.

Another choice is the C8 II
http://www.shiningbeam.com/servlet/the-215/Romisen-RC-dsh-C8-II-Q5/Detail
It is higher voltage and thus brighter, using 3xAAAs or 2xCR123 OR 1x18650.
Still, it isn't gonna be driven at a full Amp and uses the older emitter.

I would agree that unless you have a really good reason for wanting the throw to flood, that you go with a general purpose light instead. You have lots more choices that are much brighter with better modes, etc.

joe1512

Enlightened
The problem is that you won't see an MC-E, P7 or SST-50 adjustable because the emitter is too big.

That would mean youd need a huge friggin lens due to the increased size of the emitter.

Heck, even the XR-E to XP-G increased the emitter size significantly. So the XP-G is great in most lights but might get negated somewhat when added to a focus light.

So don't hold your breath...

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
as others have explained there are reasons not much development goes into this type of light, which is sad because despite their issues they can be very handy lights.

I second the romisen series of focusing lights. I have an rc-C6 II with a 2AA extension tube which is my main light after my edc, a quark mini 123.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks boboweb,

I have just realised that I put M14 instead of P14 in my post and corrected it and I will correct the torch list in my signature as well.

Last edited:

ephesus

Newly Enlightened

Well, I need a flashlight for inspecting houses, and when i'm indoors I don't need the throw and the hotspot would just blind what I need to see but need a good flood light, but when i'm outdoors I could use the throw.

The Hawk

Enlightened
I'm looking for a LED flashlight with adjustable focus powered by AA's or CR123s. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks
Another vote for the Romisen RC-29. I just returned from a vacation in the Outer Banks, NC where I amazed several folks with my Romisen. They were impressed with the throw as well as the flood ability of the little 1AA light.

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
I just put in an order for the RC-29, glad to hear that you had a good experience with it, The Hawk.

I'm guessing a Lithium rechargeable will be too much voltage for the RC-29, and I'll have to use an NiMH rechargeable instead. Anyone know how long the RC-29 will last on a 2000mAh AA battery?

Or is there a lithium 3.7v battery I could use? 14500 is the same size as an AA I think.

pae77

Enlightened
I doubt they are very good but yesterday I saw my local Costco had a pack of three focusable Cree powered lights (each light takes 3 AAAs) for about $17 (for all 3 lights). It said on the box that the max output of each light was 100 lumens.

For the money, (about $6 each), they probably were pretty decent lights (if you can stand them being powered by 3 AAA's).

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a throwy light, and a diffuser.

Problem solved

Exectly. Some of the EagleTacs lights come with a diffuser.

Better yet, just get two lights. Get one with good throw and one with good flood. You will get much better results.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Fenix E20 is with some kind of focus but I don't know how it is.
I have a cheaper light, Nu-Flare Rebel 90. You can focus between flood and spot and it's pretty good for a budget light but hasn't got the quality feeling the better lights have. It is not very well known here on CPF and if it is known not the best reputation.
But it's a flashlight, it puts out light and you can focus it.
It comes in 1-2 x AA or 1-2 CR123 configuration.

http://www.ledmuseum.candlepower.us/led/ledleft.htm

Click on "CR123 Lithium LED lights" on the left and then "Nu-Flare Rebel 90" for a review.

daflip702

Newly Enlightened
City for losing your mind/wallet AKA Las Vegas
Exectly. Some of the EagleTacs lights come with a diffuser.

Better yet, just get two lights. Get one with good throw and one with good flood. You will get much better results.

Or you could use low mode for indoors...My SST-50 dropin has a huge hotspot. Perfect balance of throw and spill. Its my goto light for general purposes and surely fit the OP's bill if he/she didn't need focus.

BTW i own a LLP7...thinking i needed focus. Boy, was I wrong. Perhaps it was memory residue from owning M@glites all those years.