Multitool or knife with a wood saw

pulstar

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a knife with a saw. I would really like american made one. My last multi tool was victorinox atlas, but its blade wasnt really functional and i wasnt using all those tools it had. I really like the quality of leatherman knives (my dad has one) and i find it superior to sak's. Wenger ranger 78 has the essential tools i look for but it looks like it's a little bit big. Which american made knife/multitool would you guys suggest? I am left handed (not a big deal) but i bite my nails ( i know, bad habbit) so i really need something that has easily accessable tools (no small 'cuts' in metal to put your nails into to open a tool- atleast for main blade)

Thanks for your help

gsr

Enlightened
I have found the saw on the Leatherman Wave/Charge tools to be very effective and easy to open.

carrot

Flashaholic
I think actually that the Victorinox quality is better than Leatherman and would recommend a Victorinox One-Handed Trekker. They have a blade a bit over 4" and a really awesome saw that zips through wood. The locking mechanism is surprisingly left-handed on the OHT so you can actually now own a liner-lock knife that is designed for your left hands!

nightcacher

Newly Enlightened
How about a Gerber 33-001459 / 3 in 1 multifunction tool knife. Three different blades stored in the sheath. Blade changes via pushing a button with right thumb blade changes with the left. From one south paw to the next.

yliu

Enlightened
Leatherman Wave, Surge, Charge are all easy to open without nails but they are designed for right handed users.

The Super Tool 300 main blades are designed so you can easily open it even with gloves, and probably without nails.

Otherwise the other tools all requires some nail to get out.

DaveG

Enlightened
Have to agree with Carrot,I think Victorinox saws work great.Try and get your hands on a Mauser or older German army knife by Victorinox,great saws on these models.I do know these two can be hard to get your hands on both discontinued.

tam17

Enlightened
+1 on Victorinox OH Trailmaster/Trekker, as Carrot said.

I've removed serrations and convexed the blade on mine, makes a great EDC.

Cheers,

Tam

Last edited:

landwomble

Newly Enlightened
Leatherman Surge? Uses a removeable, standard fit jigsaw blade. Can be swapped out for the supplied file as well. In terms of cutting, the Victorinox saw is brilliant (I remember absent-mindedly sawing almost entirely through the leg of a school desk with the one on my original Swiss Champ!) but tricky to sharpen. The Surge's saw is great and can be swapped out in seconds...

trevordurden

Newly Enlightened
What are you using the saw for? Perhaps it's not the quality of the saw but rather the size. My experience with saws on multi-tools has been that saws on multi-tools are always too small. That's kind of the reason why I carry a Skeletool but also have a toolbox with a full size tools such as a file and saw.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Love the Victorinox Farmer.

Its wood-cutting sawblade is Incredible for being so compact.

Certainly an effective and useful tool.

:thumbsup:
_

john_aero

Newly Enlightened
another thumbs up for the leatherman charge saw or victorinox saws.

have used them a lot in the past and for the size work very well with out fail

victorinox do a model with a rather large saw. cant remeber the model name but had it in shop and was nice for bush work

Last edited:

LIGAF

Newly Enlightened
"(...)I'm looking for a knife with a saw. I would really like american made one(...)"... "(...)Wenger ranger 78 has the essential tools i look for but it looks like it's a little bit big. Which american made knife/multitool would you guys suggest?(...)"....."(...) i bite my nails ( i know, bad habbit) so i really need something that has easily accessable tools (no small 'cuts' in metal to put your nails into to open a tool- atleast for main blade) (...)"

i recently bought the leatherman surge tool... very solid and sturdy piece of work but it is their biggest tool so you might not dig it since you mentioned that another [wenger] already seems too large for you...it is on a heavy side too...

on the other hand, only a large size will ensure a multi-tool to be useful in real life usage of its functions/tools such as pliers, knife blade, saws, et alia...
i'm a quadriplegic with literally no useful hand dexterity [i purchased it mainly for usage by others in a pinch, in case i'll find myself with a broken car/wheelchair, etc with someone around to help me but without tools on hand] yet i can still open and close - albeit with some difficulty - both main blades, the saw and unfold/fold the tool therefore you shouldn't have problems opening all of its implements...but the saw [in its interchangeable holder] is long enough to be actually useful in sawing through a 1"-1.5" branch or even thicker wood and has very sharp large multiple rows of teeth...the main knife blade is large, locking [liner lock] and mean looking...very useful...secondary blade is serrated and just as functional...
i'd judge the surge to be the most rounded multi-tool of all makes/designs and most useful for serious work, including its wood saw....

having said all that, i'm considering buying their 'juice xe6' for edc though, since it's half the weight of 'surge' and with its smaller size will better fit my edc needs... xe6 has just about all of the same implements as the surge, including the saw, and it could still be quite useful although likely fall short of heavy duty tasks... i could then supplement the heavy surge in my 'pack/pouch' for the juice xe6 only during longer excursions and/or trips farther from 'civilization' ....i've just started to carry 3 flashlights on edc basis [fenix e11, terralux lightstar 300 AND jetbeam iii m 3m so my 'fanny pack' is quite heavy hehe and the 6 oz difference between surge and juice makes a difference...

yeah, eventually, i'll limit my edc lights to 2 but right now i just got all these kool lights and love all 3 and can't get enough of playing with them haha...anyway, i'd recommend either the surge or - if size/weight are important issues - the juice xe6....

jerzy...

Imon

Enlightened
I know this is a extremely late response but having owned a One Hand Trekker for about 2-3 years it has a very impressive wood saw.

Gryffin

Enlightened
Actually I have to believe that the SOG powerlock has the best wood saw out there.

And I'd have to disagree. It's got well-cut sharp teeth, but it's also a bit short to cut much of anything. IIRC it also doesn't have quite as much thinning in the spine, which causes it bind up more readily than the Vic or LM ones.

I ... would recommend a Victorinox One-Handed Trekker. They have a blade a bit over 4" and a really awesome saw that zips through wood.

What he said. I don't go into the woods without mine. :thumbsup:

One thing he left out: the blade has a Spyderco-like hole, so it's easily opened without nails, and the tip of the saw hangs out past the handles a bit, so it's also easily opened without nails. (Or even without two hands; I've occasionally opened mine by just catching that tip on whatever I'm attempting to saw.)

Last edited:

JakeRStock

Newly Enlightened
I carry the leatherman sidekick which has the knife and woodsaw. Both are easy to get out with one hand. I have used the woodsaw a few times and i have even cut some 1/2 pvc in a pinch with it and it worked great. You might want to check into that. I paid about $40 or so on amazon.

Samy

Enlightened
I have the leatherman wave and the Victorinox trekker, both have excellent wood saws, the trekker's is probably a bit better. I haven't used it on wood, just to cut down the throttle tube on my motorcycle LOL ;)

Cheers