Philips 12 watt (60W equivalent) A19 Ambient LED Soft White Light Bulb, Dimmable

mds82

Enlightened
Just noticed that Home Depot is now carrying the new Phillips 12 watt bulb. This appears to be the one shown in the L-Prize. I ordered 1 of them and cant wait for it to come in!

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

frank70

Newly Enlightened
DEAD Philips 12 watt (60W equivalent) A19 Ambient LED Soft White Light Bulb

One of these Philips alien heads I bought back in 12/2010 ($42, 6 year warranty) went dark today, a year past its expected lifetime! First one of this type to go. Not sure I got my money's worth. :)

UPDATE: Tore it apart and found point of failure to be where wire attached to one of the three LED pcbs - wire had separated from solder pad. Since all 18 LEDs are in series, this killed the bulb. At this point much plastic had been destroyed and the pad wouldn't accept new solder, so it went into the trash can; but interesting to note that the failure was mechanical, not a failed electronic component.

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DEAD Philips 12 watt (60W equivalent) A19 Ambient LED Soft White Light Bulb

One of these Philips alien heads I bought back in 12/2010 ($42, 6 year warranty) went dark today, a year past its expected lifetime! First one of this type to go. Not sure I got my money's worth. :)

UPDATE: Tore it apart and found point of failure to be where wire attached to one of the three LED pcbs - wire had separated from solder pad. Since all 18 LEDs are in series, this killed the bulb. At this point much plastic had been destroyed and the pad wouldn't accept new solder, so it went into the trash can; but interesting to note that the failure was mechanical, not a failed electronic component.

Thanks for the detailed update. Its good information to know what components are failing in LED light bulbs and I'm sure manufactures are taking note. With LED bulbs becoming cheaper, I have replaced almost all lights in my home with LED bulbs!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Frank70, thank you for the long term update. My house still has 3 of these (all purchased in 2011) still going strong.

angerdan

Enlightened

Tore it apart and found point of failure to be where wire attached to one of the three LED pcbs - wire had separated from solder pad. Since all 18 LEDs are in series, this killed the bulb.
Can you show some images?
Would be interesting to see.

frank70

Newly Enlightened

Can you show some images?
Would be interesting to see.
Sorry, it all went out with the trash. Think of 3 roughly 1" square ceramic PCBs with 6 LEDs in series on each, two solder pads at the top that attach to wires from the inside electronics. In the failed bulb, one of those wires had detached from the pad, but it wouldn't let me solder it back on - the pad probably vaporized when it failed.