Intererst in Body Extension for TRI EDC, SST-50 and XM-L?

stevenkelby

Enlightened
Hi All,

I am thinking of having an extension made from bare Ali for my TRI-EDC so I can use 2 x 18350 and get 1100 lumen instead of 700, or just more runtime with an 18650 and spacer.

The extension would also work on the SST-50 and EDC XM-L, as confirmed by Mac via PM.

Mac is not going to make them and thinks there won't be much interest, I'm more hopeful :)

It will be cheaper to make a few and I know a machinist who will do it if there is enough interest.

I would guess around $60 - $90 shipped for the finished piece, maybe less, if it's much more even I probably won't be keen.

My TRI EDC is bare Ti but Ali is much cheaper and close enough match for me. You can get the extension cerakoted to match your light I guess too. It will be identical to the head in diameter and as close as possible in finish

Any interest in something like that?

I added a poll, results are private so no one can see how you voted but feel free to post here :)

Please vote however you feel, especially if you are NOT interested so we can see the ratio of Yes to No.

Thanks,

Steve.

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
I am holding out for Mac's XM-L EDC. I don't know yet if the diameter and threading will be the same as the Tri-EDC, but if so, I'd love an extender for exactly the reasons you cite.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
Re: Intererst in Body Extesion for TRI EDC?

Cool, not sure if an extension would work for them too, here's hoping Mac says yes!

I wouldn't use the extension for EDC but would add it for night walks, camping etc.

flashflood

Enlightened
Cool, not sure if an extension would work for them too, here's hoping Mac says yes!

I wouldn't use the extension for EDC but would add it for night walks, camping etc.

Yes, exactly. Being able to switch easily between compact EDC with 18350 (or easily found CR123) and long-life 18650 when needed would be sweet. Some folks argue that it's better to have multiple lights (or spare batteries) to suit the task, and I see their point. But I like the Lego option anyway, because sometimes I'm just in the mood for a particular beam type or tint or UI.

Zen Ape

Newly Enlightened

I don't even have my Tri-EDC yet (9 weeks now :sigh: ) , but have expressed interest in an extension tube in the past and most certainly would have purchased one if it was an option on Mac's site. I'm in if there's a possibility for this.

Last edited:

stoli67

Enlightened

For me the biggest issue is heat... Running at full power for extended periods is tough on the hands

I am not keen to run it hotter

Andrew

stevenkelby

Enlightened

For me the biggest issue is heat... Running at full power for extended periods is tough on the hands

I am not keen to run it hotter

Andrew

Good point for sure, you wouldn't want to run it on high for too long with a single cell, 2 cells would be even worse.

I was thinking of the 2nd cell more for extended use on medium where it doesn't create too much heat, that's where I would like more run time.

Or for more lumens when I do want high for brief periods :)

I agree though, heat is the main downside on high for extended use.

stevenkelby

Enlightened

Great news, Mac just confirmed that an extension would work for SST-50 and the upcoming XM-L too!

Thanks for all the votes so far guys, for and against.

torcher

Newly Enlightened

I tried my head mocked up with 2 cells and though it was daytime the increase in brightness seemed marginal .
Heat concerns me also as my single cell tri gets plenty hot already on high , might still get one though but seems
like money better spent on another one of mac's creations .

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried my head mocked up with 2 cells and though it was daytime the increase in brightness seemed marginal .
Heat concerns me also as my single cell tri gets plenty hot already on high , might still get one though but seems
like money better spent on another one of mac's creations .

Yeah. Visual difference between 800 and 1000 lumens isn't noticeable unless you have them side by side or you're outside in the dark with some distance to use. Plus with such a wide hotspot, the difference is even less pronounced.

I would be interested in an extender body (in Ti though) for my sst50 but not for an 18650. I think an 18500 would be ideal. It would keep the light compact but give it much more runtime over the 16340 or 18350.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interested in extender in Ti. I do like a 18650 sized light - although the EDC format goes sweet in a holster.

I have both ST-50 & Tri - but haven't had the guts to have the SST-50 bored. If I did get an extension I think it would tip me over into boring the SST-50.

I've had very limited run time on the tri-edc due to a whole variety of issues. I think an EDC sized light would benefit more from the increased run time on an 18650 than running 50% more lumens - the SST-50 heats up fast enough as originally designed with the 2.8 A driver (which I would not trade!).

scout24

Flashaholic

I'm with Coach on this one, perfect just the way they are. I bought my Tri (And previous SST-50's) because they were SMALL and BRIGHT! Great pocket sized EDC, a longer form factor would not do it for me. High on short bursts dazzles from such a small package, I find I use medium and low more, as they are a bit more practical for me. Kudos to Mac for the low level being as good as it is, a very nice indoor level at night. Not for midnight runs, but checking on laundry, dishwasher, feeding cats, etc... For a 700lm. light to have that usable low... I'm a fan!

stevenkelby

Enlightened

Perfectly understandable, the lights are awesome just as they are. Thanks for the votes guys!

Ilikelite

Newly Enlightened

I wouldn't mind having the extension when I plan on using the light for extended periods like when I go fishing or camping. I can use the medium mode and know I've got plenty of light for the night. I do have to say that after all the time I've been trying to find the perfect light I think this is it. I love the size and beauty and power. I do think I can retire from the forum because there is no need to look for flashlights...but I do think I need to get the tri in Brass with a neutral led...hmm sure wouldn't mind checking out the xml when it comes out. Guess I'm not retiring after all.

paintballdad

Enlightened

Not interested in an extension at all and wouldn't buy one even at $25. I've seen Mac's prototype 18650 Tri-EDC and did not like the overall look of the light, the proportion seems off. The Tri-EDC and even the SST-50 in it's current form IMHO is the perfect size for everyday carry. I always have spare cells with me and do not see any advantage to having the extension.
Since picking up Mac's Tri-EDC & SST-50 and Henry's Clicky & Twisty,i haven't had the urge to buy any more lights. I'm actually going to thin out the collection quite a bit in the next few weeks.

jtrucktools34

Newly Enlightened

NOPE!

I'm out of this one. The Tri is PERFECT just the way it is!

my 2c

Jtruck

smack2000

Newly Enlightened

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how this would work on the older SST-50 EDC bodies that are only bored for 16340's? Interesting and simple idea, but I'm afraid I'm with most of the purists around here and consider the Tri-EDC in its stock format to be the best EDC ever made. On the rare occasion I need extra runtime, I carry a backup.

stevenkelby

Enlightened

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how this would work on the older SST-50 EDC bodies that are only bored for 16340's?

The extension would allow you to use 2 x 16340s :) Thanks for all the votes guys, positive and negative. I agree the light is great just as it is and don't see the extension as an improvement, just as an option :) I want one so will go ahead and get a dozen or so made, hopefully within a month or so. Thanks, Steve.