How do you use your Surefire Lanyard?

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I have quite a few just laying in a box, I never seem to get any use out of them. How many CPFers actually use these and how do you go about it on your person?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get lanyards either. I throw them away when they come with my regular flashlights as well as when they come with my dive lights.

Lanyards are for ice axes :)

Last edited:

geisto

Newly Enlightened
I used it when I EDC'ed a M3T. Good for when I need to use both hands but want to have the light available without fumbling with a holster...ex: Climbing a ladder.

herosemblem

Enlightened
The lanyard that came with my Surefire LX2 makes a great paperweight.
Actually, it's not even good enough to be a paperweight. I've contemplated selling it for a few bucks, but it's not even worth that.
Looks like I'm in the same boat as you guys. Lanyards on handheld flashlights...more trouble than they're worth.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see lanyards for sale on ebay all the time. Apparently there are others who don't use them either. I don't use mine. I have quite a collection of them in a box. I've tried using one several times, but it always seems to get in the way. I prefer hand carry, pocket carry, or even a holster.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I walk outdoors most every night year round and learned from experience that is possible to lose one's grip after holding a flashlight for long periods. Therefore I use a lanyard around my wrist to prevent dropping the light.

It is especially easy to lose your grip when walking in near zero temperatures wearing thick gloves.

A lanyard also lets me suspend the light from my wrist if I need to remove my glove for a moment to reach inside a pocket.

samuraishot

Enlightened
I had one from a Z2 I got a couple years back. Just sat in my parts box until recently.

I combined the knots from lanyards that come with CRK Sebenza knives and Atwood tools then attached it to my E1B. Makes a small light much easier to hold.

Draz

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a LX2 also and I have the lanyard attached only because its a car light/get home light. I can see where if I had to trek 45 miles home from work it would be nice to strap it to my wrist as it would be almost all bush travel.

curtispdx

Enlightened
I use them on my smaller lights like the Titan. I can carry it deep in my pocket and dangle the lanyard out the top of my pocket.

Roger999

Enlightened
I use it when running because I hold it in a Roger's grip and wear gloves(Roger is using Roger's hold :D).

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the time I never use a lanyard but they come in handy when you have an operational need for them like in water, up high, skiing, hiking on a log or stream crossing, working on machinery on a platform, on a ladder or leaning over rail /off a rooftop. They are handy on your wrist when you need your hands quickly like changing handgun magazines, removing your gloves, etc. They also don't always need to be on your wrist. Around your neck or backpack strap works too. Retractable lanyards are really nice.

Last edited:

mce993

Newly Enlightened
I only use a lanyard on my SF's if I happen to be out walking in the winter with gloves on. Otherwise, I don't use them.

mbw_151

Enlightened
I use a lanyard on all lights when I'm out on my boat, out in soft snow and when hiking steep trails. I learned the hard way in all three activities. I also learned the value of a backup light at the same time.

Russ Prechtl

Newly Enlightened
I use lanyards on ALL my lights, especially my smaller ones. That way I can be sure the light won't slip out of my hand during use and won't slip out of my pocket unnoticed when I'm not using it. Yes, I've lost some that way before!

Those of you that hate lanyards - if you're interested in getting rid of them, let me know! I'll send you a self-addressed stamp envelope and take them off your hands if you'd like. I'd hate to think of them just cluttering up your house. :grin2:

epd1102

Newly Enlightened
Most people won't use them because they don't need them. A lot of the people who use them probably use them improperly. They are meant to be worn around the palm of the hand so you can drop the light if you need to have your hands free but you can't get "hung up" by your lanyard because you can squeeze your hand out of it if necessary. A lot of people wear it around their wrist and they are stuck if the lanyard gets caught on something. Just like everything else, they have a use but they're not necessarily for everyone. A lot of people don't understand why I would spend hundreds of dollars on a flashlight either.

The_Hand

Newly Enlightened
Reviving an old thread...

Anyone have some lanyard rings for a Surefire Fury? Or know where I can get some?
Thank you!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Reviving an old thread...

Anyone have some lanyard rings for a Surefire Fury? Or know where I can get some?
Thank you!

Check out the Elzetta lanyard ring. Doesn't snag when a light is deployed from a pocket or holster, is thinner than others, has a nice stealth black coating but best of all...
$4.oo