Surefire boring service

Status
Not open for further replies.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
SureFire® boring & machining services

I can bore, ream & hone your Fury/6P/C2/M2/C3/M3/U2/M4 (and most other models) to accept the AW18650 or similar diameter 18mm cell. The smaller tube L1/A2/E-series can be bored for either a 17mm protected cell or for a standard size 18mm cell (like the AW2900 mAh or AW3100 mAh) but they cannot be bored for the much larger 3400 mAh cell. PM's are disabled so please click on the "contact" page at www.PrecisionWorks

PLEASE NOTE: This is the original thread started in May 2011. Some services that were offered before are no longer available (trit slot milling, bead blasting, etc.). Please refer to the current thread for up to date info on boring: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...fire%AE-and-other-aluminum-or-titanium-lights

Please refer to the separate thread for info on mechanical mods: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?335085-Mechanical-Modding-Services

NOTE #1: most machining mods don't require the entire light. Please ship only the parts to be machined. Removal of the clip, O-rings, combat rings, etc. is greatly appreciated.

Please note ... you now have two options for speed of turnaround:

1) I now offer 2-week turnaround for twice the delivered price I've always charged (i.e. $100 for a 6P, $120 for an E1 or E2, etc.)

2) Or indefinite turnaround for one-half the price of 2-week service (i.e. $50 for a 6P, $60 for an E1 or E2, etc,). Indefinite really means just that, I will not give a time frame or quote a date/month/etc. if you choose this option.

® SUREFIRE is a registered trademark of SureFire, LLC, 18300 Mount Baldy Circle, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA

Last edited:

MCFLYFYTER

Banned
Do you offer any bulk discount, or combined shipping? I assume at this price it will be bored the same day, and shipped the following day? If so, I could be interested, as I am very impatient. :D

precisionworks

Flashaholic
putting my M2 in the mail to you tomorrow.
That sounds great, Chris:thumbsup:

Do you offer any bulk discount, or combined shipping?
For 5-9 lights that are shipped together, take 5% off. For 10 lights or more, take 10% off.

I'll certainly combine shipping whenever possible. Just a wild guess, but probably 10 lights would fit into a Medium Flat Rate box, with substantial packaging, for $10.

I assume at this price it will be bored the same day, and shipped the following day?
I will guarantee that ... just double the price :nana:

Seriously, my normal turnaround is 2-3 days. Your light (or lights) will be shipped no later than the day following machining. I appreciate what you say about impatience, and every job that comes into my shop is important to the person that needs their work done. At the same time, enlarging a thin walled tube is not a job that any machinist wants to rush through. The method I use is not the quickest nor the easiest, but it consistently produces high quality results, while maintaining both the integrity and the appearance of the light.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Can you bore a 3P?

The 3P should bore out just as nicely as a 6P (or 9P). I am set up to bore to an inside diameter of 0.738" (18.75mm), although other ID's can also be bored. What battery are you planning to use? Can you measure the battery outside diameter & post back that dimension?

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those that are unable to measure a battery diameter - would it be wise to ship the battery with the light being bored out?

precisionworks

Flashaholic
would it be wise to ship the battery with the light being bored out?
It certainly would, Will. That allows me to accurately measure the battery & then add a very slight allowance for clearance.

That's a great suggestion :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
PM replied to :)

Ken asked if a 3-piece body could be bored, and I believe it can. If anyone reading this is unsure about the body they want bored, please send it to me along with the batteries that will be used. I will measure the body & bore if possible. Or I will return the body and batteries at my expense if the body cannot be bored.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Sweet, I have a couple other things going on flashlight wise, as soon as I'm ready, I will PM you for your shipping addy to send my 3P and a AW 18350! :)

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for future reference, will you be prepared to ship overseas ?

USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate box = $13.95 ;)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
as soon as I'm ready, I will PM you for your shipping addy to send my 3P and a AW 18350! :)
Sounds great :)

will you be prepared to ship overseas ?

USPS Priority Mail International Small Flat Rate box = $13.95 ;)
No problem to work with international customers. The International Small Flat Rate box is a bargain, and probably two light bodies would fit inside with good packing. Shipping rates for international go up fast for the larger cartons.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I can also bore/ream/hone longer lights like the M3 or M4. They involve more machine time, so the cost is a little higher. $48 for the M3 and $56 for the M4, plus shipping. Same turnaround time, about 2-3 days in my shop, and return shipping within one business day after completion.

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
putting my M2 in the mail to you tomorrow.
And returning your M2 in the mail this afternoon :thumbsup:

My shop will be closed for the holiday (5/27 - 5/30) & I wanted to get the M2 back to Chris without the holiday delay. A few "after" photos ...

surefireboring7.jpg

surefireboring8.jpg

surefireboring9.jpg

surefireboring10.jpg

The last photo shows the small lip that was left in the bore. This gives the 18650 a positive forward stop. The RediLast battery is just slightly larger than an AW18650, but there is still .010" total clearance (or .005" radial clearance) which is more than enough room for an easy, drop in fit.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
PoliceScannerMan's 3P was waiting at the Post Office today. Got it back to the shop, mounted it in the lathe, and will run it back to the Post Office before they close today :thumbsup:

surefireboring143.jpg

surefireboring15.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.