Which multi-tool in your BOB.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm curious as to which one you guys keep in your BOB for emergencies. I have three full-sized models. My Leatherman Kick is a bit too basic, and the tools don't lock. I keep it in a small urban kit. My main multi-tool is a SOG Power plier. It's excellent, but very heavy.

Recently bought a Gerber 450 to go in my BOB. Compared to the SOG, it's a very basic multi-tool. But quite functional.

What do you guys have put away in case of an emergency?

Last edited:

madwomble

Newly Enlightened
My Gerber Suspension is by far my favourite multi-tool, though to be honest my only other experience has been with friends' knockoff leathermans which bend\break\corrode at the slightest provocation (I'm sure original leathermans would have no such problem). My Gerber has been all over the place, soaking wet for days on end, bashed about, and no corrosion at all. had it maybe 4 years now. Spring loaded pliers on it are the most used feature, though the tabs allowing the blade\saw to be flipped out with just one are useful too. Cheap too; got mine on ebay for £18 I think.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Unfortunately, I have seen Leatherman models with broken pliers. Also, my original Leatherman tool from back in the day is nearly rusted shut. I actually keep it in my junk drawer with the can-opener feature out. Sad to say, but Leatherman multi-tools rust far too easily.

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a Leatherman Skeletool - it's more than enough for my day to day needs. I don't yet have a multitool in my BOB, but I'd 2nd the Gerber Suspension. A mate of mine has one, and it's a solid unit.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I've been through four models of Leatherman, starting from when they had only one model, and with no reservation, the Charge has replaced even the venerable Wave as my all time favorite. Incredible tool that I use every single day.

tomp

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately, I have seen Leatherman models with broken pliers. Also, my original Leatherman tool from back in the day is nearly rusted shut. I actually keep it in my junk drawer with the can-opener feature out. Sad to say, but Leatherman multi-tools rust far too easily.

Care to share pics of these junk Leathermans? I would love to take those junk items off your hands as they have an awesome warranty.

Quiksilver

Enlightened

Ever heard of WD-40 or oil?

Never seen a piece of metal that didn't rust, especially in a coastal environment.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Care to share pics of these junk Leathermans? I would love to take those junk items off your hands as they have an awesome warranty.

Sorry, don't own a good digital camera. My cellphone is an older model.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Ever heard of WD-40 or oil?

Never seen a piece of metal that didn't rust, especially in a coastal environment.

Leatherman tools rust much faster than those from SOG or Gerber. I've owned several Leatherman tools, and it's the same story. Found a nice sleeve for my Leatherman Micra. Ironically, made by Leatherman specifically for the micra. But they don't include it with the tool. And, don't even mention it's available for it. My SOG Power Plier has been with me for years. It's my main multi-tool. As far as rust goes, it looks brand new. Can't say that about my Leatherman tools. Also, you shouldn't have to practically drown a multi-tool in oil to keep it from rusting up that much. I've owned carbon steel knives that weren't as prone to rust as my so-called stainless steel Leatherman models.

By the way WD-40 works great as a solvent. As a lubricant, it's about as **** poor as you can get. But it's a household name.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
* Site acting up. Duplicate post of the one right above was created for some strange reason*

Last edited:

OCD

Enlightened
Between my self and my family members, we own at least 6 leatherman waves, many of which are carried daily. I have never seen a speck of rust on any of them. I will carry my wave in the back pocket of my shorts in the summer instead of the leather sheath. I couldn't begin to count how many times I have pulled it out of my pocket to find it drenched in sweat from working outside. It's suffice to say I don't oil it unless it has gotten so dirty and gummed up that it will get a good compressed air blow off and a little oil on the pliers. But this is not a regular occurance.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
The concerns about Leatherman's breaking is real, but it takes quite a bit of torque or misuse to break them in less than a year or two and having carried various models both in Japan and S.E. Alaska, very humid climates, have never seen any rust on any of the models I've used over the years. Apparently some people have poor luck with items that no one else seems to, as WD-40 has worked wonders for me over the last few decades as well.

air2bmc

Newly Enlightened
I have a leatherman Wave and i just orderd the leatherman MUT. The MUT is a beast and i cant wait for it to get here. Ive had the wave for 7years and use it daily at work and home with zero issues. I think they make great products that you can count on!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My BOB has a Leatherman Core. My truck has a Surge in the ctr console and a Micra in the ashtray. I keep a Juice P4 in my nightstand.

I've had nothing but good experiences with Leatherman, especially their CS,including when I was snapping saws off of my first supertool, back when they came with a lifetime warranty.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread.

I have a Gerber Multi-Lock Needle-nose pliers,
which i purchased in 1998.

The first Gerber Multi-Tool pliers, which i bought
5 years earlier, had the Nasty Habit of PINCHING
the heel of the palm of my hand, every single time i used it ! ! !

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

Not a very endearing quality.

Ended up giving that one away.
(with a warning)

:shakehead
_

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
My hands sweat profusely once the ambient temperature is above 22C. Been like that my entire life. My Skeletool is exposed daily to my sweaty mitts, for over a year now, and there's not a spot of rust on it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I have a Gerber Multi-Lock Needle-nose pliers,
which i purchased in 1998.

The first Gerber Multi-Tool pliers, which i bought
5 years earlier, had the Nasty Habit of PINCHING
the heel of the palm of my hand, every single time i used it ! ! !
One of my neighbours still has the original Gerber which both of us hated at first, but after a couple years he got used to being careful enough to not get pinched by it. Even so, he also ended up buying one of the newer ones which he carries, and leaves the original in the truck.

DM11

Newly Enlightened
I dont have and offical BOB but I keep a Leatherman TTi with both cards and an bit extension in my back pack. If I was to put a BOB together it would proably have a LM ST300 or SOG Powerlock in there. The only reason I might choose a Sog Powerlock is the ability to change tool components to suit your needs and being able to replace those components if they break without having to send it in to fix it. :)

Burgess

Flashaholic
Anybody tried the Victorinox Swiss Tool ? ? ?

Seems to be quite highly regarded.

Of course, it IS expen$ive.

Acid87

Enlightened
Burgess said:
Anybody tried the Victorinox Swiss Tool ? ? ?

Seems to be quite highly regarded.

Of course, it IS expen$ive.

I have one of these. They are fairly weighty (new word?) tools are nicely finished and on par with other tools. I have an older straight handle model and sometimes find it uncomfortable with heavy usage. This may have been a one off occasion though.

While writing this reply I went and got the tool out. The straight edges are indeed uncomfortable in the hand. This is on when using the internal tools I.e. Blade etc the handles are rounded for use with the pliers which makes sense considering the force needed when using this tool in most cases. It's a good tool just handle it if you can prior to purchase.

Sorry quite long winded and very disjointed add to that bad grammar and I realise I've had a long day and it's bedtime.