Mako 1xAAA: the most important flashlight i've ever owned

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
i live off-the-grid in the wilderness and have been a flashaholic all my life.

while i enjoy trying out the newest-brightest 'lights, i've come to discover that the most important lights i own are the ones i carry everyday 24/7 (EDC), particularly those that are as reliable as humanly possible.

having purchased hundreds of tiny lights, the finest light i've found for my use is the Mako, custom-made by longtime CPF member Endeavour (aka: Enrique).

its a basic low-power 1xAAA "key-chain" light, much like its predecessor, Gransee's original Arc AAA. its also much like its contemporary, McGizmo's Sapphire.

as the maker put it: "The design objectives were to create a small, unobtrusive torch that ran for a very long time on a common AAA cell, in a durable package, with some compelling features at an affordable price point."

of course, it sure can't compete with the high output or number of settings available in lights like the LF2XT, Illumina Ti, Maratac, iTP, et al.

so why would anyone pick the Mako?

although i enjoy my fun high-tech lights, what i require most is a trustworthy survival / back-up / emergency / EDC / camping flashlight.

what sold me on the Mako was:

• bomb-proof titanium construction
  • simple design using 24K gold anti-corrosion contacts (read: ultra reliable!)
  • super efficient electronics/LED for extreme run time (80 hours on a lithium)
  • option of a tritium vial
  • lack of breakable glass "cover" lens
  • ability to tail-stand
  • two-level output with lots of twist between them
  • ultra-light weight for a titanium light
  • long threads requiring over two full turns before engaging the contact (to keep from losing the head)
  • reasonably white beam (not a blue-yellow amalgamated beam)
  • very smooth threads
  • one-handed operation

many other lights have one or more of these features, but in my mind none come close in terms of total functionality and reliability.

i own a few of Makos. one to EDC in my pocket, another in my survival BOB, one next to my bed for navigating the house at night, and others for back-ups.

some Mako owners were disappointed with the 15-degree off-center ringy beam, a result of the designer's demand for water resistance. i agree: it not pretty when wall hunting... but for a survival light that's not a huge concern. still, a nicer beam would be wonderful, making the Mako just about perfect for me.

at some point i heard about the "Mako 60", a rare 60-degree smooth-beam flood version. after years of searching, last week i finally located one through a fellow CPF'er. scout24 was kind enough to sell me his.

turning it on for the first time i was stunned and amazed. this floody Mako is THE answer i've been looking for most of my adult life (i'm 58 yrs old).

Mako "60" Flood on left --- standard Mako on right

Mako-standard-vs-Mako-Flood.jpg

(my photo)

of course, one "Mako Flood" isn't enough for me. sadly, research indicates that only a handful were made and the likelihood of buying another is next to nill.

so why brag on something we can't buy?

because i recently learned that the maker is still into producing custom hand-made lights!

if i can twist Enrique's arm by convincing him that there's a big enough market to do another run of them, who out there would be willing to pony up as much as $150 to own a new Mako Flood, "the world's greatest back-up light"?

===

2012 news: on Jan 7th 2012, it was announced that a limited run of 75 Mako Floods will be produced.
Here is a link to that thread: Mako Flood Run - A Titanium, Two-Stage, AAA-Based Flashlight

===

Early 2014 news: on Feb 20th, 2014, an additional limited run of 22 Mako Floods as announced
More info on page 8 of this thread, or click HERE to go there now.

===

Mid-year 2014 news: yet another very limited run was produced, called the Mako MK II

the run was of approx 50 units, in three versions of the Mako Mk. II:

High Output (HO)
This is a 21-lumen output flood light, with much higher brightness and spacing between modes than the previous model, which was around 10 lumens. I'm very excited about the performance characteristics of this light.

Ultraviolet (UV)
This is a regular output Mako equipped with a UV LED with a nominal wavelength of 375 nanometers. Useful for finding things that fluoresce, curing adhesives, activating glow phosphors, finding scorpions, etc.

Regular Output (RO)
This is essentially a "6/30" Mako flood, with updated styling.

delivery began on Aug 25th and they are wonderful. i'm now carrying the Mako MK II HO as my EDC light. best of the best.

Mako-MKII_zpsfa611f2b.jpg

===

Fall 2014 news: a small run of a new version using a single AA battery is in the works. it will be called the Spinner

enrique describes it this way:

"...I've also started work on and will be putting up for pre-order this week a new light called the Spinner. It's essentially a AA version of the Mako, with similar design and named after the Spinner Shark, in keeping with the shark-based naming of the Mako.

The benefits from a AA include longer runtimes, and the ability to drive the light a bit harder than using the AAA as a power plant. This means that with a lithium or eneloop cell in the light, you can toss it in a bag, along with a spare cell, and you'll have days and days of light. If you need more output, the high mode allows you a small brightness edge over the AAA while still providing decent runtime as well. As with the Mako, it will be made from 6AL4V titanium, feature two stages, and nice, white, high output 5mm LEDs. This will be a fairly limited run based on the number of pre-orders placed, with few extra pieces being made. Cost will be $225."

===

UPDATE: May 2015

just received my 1xAA Spinner. stunning. as nice as the mako Mark II HO, only bigger. i see it as a mako on steroids. i couldn't be happier.

will carry the mako 24/7 in my front pocket and always have the spinner in my daybag

doesn't get any better than this

thank you enrique!!!!!!

Spinner-and-Mako-frontview_zpsmdw5retw.jpg

Mako-and-Spinner-sideview_zpsbakqkml9.jpg

Last edited:

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you coyote! I'm experiencing a back to basics trend in my light journey and the Mako and Don's Sapphire are seeing more and more use.

Just gotta remember to put the battery in the Mako the right way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hear you coyote! I'm experiencing a back to basics trend in my light journey and the Mako and Don's Sapphire are seeing more and more use.

Just gotta remember to put the battery in the Mako the right way!

nice to know i have a brother in the search.

not sure what you mean about the "right way". the Mako loads the battery like most lights: neg contact down into the body, and pos contact on the head. are you're thinking of another light or do you mean something else?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds interesting, I'd need more information on how it compares with the current Saphire. What LED is in the 60deg. version? The beam looks nice in the picture. I think the problem was that at the time AAA lights started appearing from everywhere and the EZ-AA had similar interface even though it was not as small. The price on the Maratac was just TOO good to ignore. The AAA Preon Revo SS would be a really decent light with the right LED. The styling of the Mako is something that maybe others, like me, don't find particularly attractive. I'd like his Ti Aeon, but the price premium over the Aluminum seems much too high for such a small light, and there is a premium for a neutral tint. Price is the only thing keeping me away from that one. Maybe on a special day I'll get one. He lives in an expensive locale to manufacture and I suspect has requirements for higher margins. I'm wondering if he could even produce these in titanium for $150, if he could with the right led he might be able to expect sales in the same numbers as the Saphire, maybe some what more as the beam looks much nicer. Currently there is also the DQG which seems to be getting some attention. I'm looking for the perfect keychain light, until I find it my LD01-SS is working out well enough. If this thread grows, start a poll, or add a poll to the thread.

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
So I am curious... if it is waterproof but has no breakable glass, how does it achieve this? Some polycarbinate lens or something?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really? I must be thinking of a different light then! I bought the light so long ago. Same deal though, Ti construction, twisty, 5mm led and great machining.

I have that one paired with a Leatherman Micra and keep the Sapphire on my keychain.

Now I have to find out what I have!

Ok, it is a Killer Ti AAA Light from Photon Fanatic. Ha! At least they look sort of the same on my small screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
StandardBattery: i too have had 'em all. (note my avatar with Millermods, Mako, Fenix E05 and DQG Tiny, just a very small sampling of what i'm comparing the Mako with).

where the Mako shines is in reliability and toughness. i'm more than happy to pay a premium price for a high-quality tool i might have to depend on to save my life. on the other hand, i like many of the less-reliable lights too. i even have a new Tiny II coming, but it (and the others you named) are for less important tasks....

you asked: "What LED is in the 60deg. version?" - Makos were the first flashlight to use these particular 24K mcd 5mm Cree LED. to the best of my knowledge, the only difference between the the two Makos was the angle of throw, 15 degrees vs 60 degrees.

[edit: i just learned the LED that was later used in the Sapphire was a 3mm Nichia LED, not a Cree]

===

everyone: here's a scan of the spec sheet that came with the original Mako. hope it can answer some of your questions:

MakoPage1.jpg

and because it just seems natural to compare the Mako to the Sapphire and Arc, here's a photo of them side-by-side:

Arc - Sapphire - Mako
AAA-models.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
So I am curious... if it is waterproof but has no breakable glass, how does it achieve this? Some polycarbinate lens or something?

I believe a 5mm LED which come with an epoxy dome, plus potted electronics. Think Arc AAA style.

NickBose

Enlightened
My 2 cents:
- Being a twisty, I doubt it would be easy or convenient to use it one handedly
- Being a survival light, lacking knurling on the body is a major setback. Just imagine when your hands are wet, greasy, or ... bloody or sometime you may even have to grab the light with your ... feet, for example.

mrlysle

Enlightened
if i can twist Enrique's arm by convincing him that there's a big enough market to do another run of them, who out there would be willing to pony up as much as $150 to own a new Mako Flood, "the world's greatest back-up light"?

Coyote. IF you can convince him to make them, I'm definitely in for one!

choombak

Enlightened
My 2 cents:
- Being a twisty, I doubt it would be easy or convenient to use it one handedly
- Being a survival light, lacking knurling on the body is a major setback. Just imagine when your hands are wet, greasy, or ... bloody or sometime you may even have to grab the light with your ... feet, for example.

Mako has a matte finish, and the threads are super-smooth, so twisting is not at all an issue using it single-handed. Actually, I was surprised at how well the threads have been machined - the Arc-Ti I own has square threads, and is a beast to twist - after so many twists, it still is difficult to turn single-handed.

choombak

Enlightened
The Mako is fantastic gem, and second to none. There are only two lights that appeal me the most, and Mako is one of them (the second - okay - you could guess it - is the Arc AAA).

There are more modern, multi-level, different looking, power-led based lights, but in a survival mode, I am doubtful if any of these will work as they are designed to, and they haven't yet had enough lifetime to prove this as well. The more complex the light gets, the more difficult it is in a survival mode. Their varying sizes also make it difficult to have them on you when required. In a nutshell, I don't consider any of the modern lights to be "survival lights", since at least one factor is almost always missing - reliability and availability (lights missing both are not worthy of *any* discussion).

In the world of modern lights, I miss reliability the most, so I am in for a Mako (or similar light run). Thanks coyote for stirring this up... :thumbsup:

joe1512

Enlightened
I guess I just don't get the fascination with reliability. Have many of you had modern decent branded flashlights poop out on you during critical times? I am a relatively young flashaholic experience wise, but haven't had any trouble.

I mean, if you are often in situations where you die if your flashlight dies, wouldn't you just carry a backup? The Mako light here uses the same emitter as the 1 dollar pinch-lights that many light companies throw in for free. So I'd think one could put a few of those on a keychain or where-ever to use in emergencies if your primary light dies.

I personally would have my 1x18650 variable brightness or flood to throw, or whatever features are desired with an efficient XM-L emiiter. Then carry my keychain light as a backup, be it a AAA, CR123, AA or whatever. Then maybe a few sealed-ziplock pinchey lights for good measure.

Last edited:

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Have many of you had modern decent branded flashlights poop out on you during critical times?...

yes, many times. and i envy your luck. but the point being that if/when my hi-tech light fails, i will always have a Mako at hand because i can be sure of it.

...The Mako light here uses the same emitter as the 1 dollar pinch-lights that many light companies throw in for free....

oh really? i've yet to have a dollar-store light with a 5mm Cree. nor will any give 80 hours runtime. and i've too many $1 lights fail on me, so i don't trust them. nothing wrong with carrying lots of fauxtons, i do too, but i haven't found i can depend on them to function when needed most.

...if you are often in situations where you die if your flashlight dies, wouldn't you just carry a backup?

yes, multiple back-ups. and if one is a self-reliant kind of individual, shouldn't your emergency EDC light be the most reliable you can find?

...I personally would have...

and thats what makes the world go 'round. always use what personally makes you happy and secure.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
As I recall, Enrique originally offered these for well under $150.

The Mako has the smoothest threads I've ever seen on a Ti light and smoother than many of the aluminum threads I've seen on others as well.

Do not make the mistake of assuming that all 5mm LEDs are made equal, because they are not. The Cree 5mm LED with the 60º beam pattern is one of the best out there, with a completely even tint, no color shift, and the whitest cool-white 5mm I've ever seen.

Additionally, like all of Enrique's lights, the Mako is designed to be the ultimate in reliability and runtime: it'll run for 60 hours on a single alkaline AAA on low or 20 hours on high. The Mako offers us some simplicity and elegance in a world dominated by frustrating multi-mode lights.

coyote

Flashlight Enthusiast
nfetterly: would love to get my hands on a warm-tint Mako. scout24 has posted pixs of his. sweet!

carrot: well said! and yes, the original Mako sold for $115 plus shipping, and the Mako 60 (flood version) was more than that i believe.

but in researching this idea, all indications are that manufacturing and material costs have gone up quite a bit, so putting a maximum of $150 for a new limited-run Mako Flood didn't seem too out of line today.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
carrot: well said! and yes, the original Mako sold for $115 plus shipping, but in researching this idea, all indications are that manufacturing and material costs have gone up quite a bit, so putting a maximum of $150 for a new limited-run Mako Flood didn't seem too out of line today.

I agree. $150 does seem reasonable to get such a great light. I always felt the original Mako was underpriced.

notrefined

Enlightened
with genuine interest and absolutely no intention of starting an argument, can I ask what weaknesses in the design or construction of the Peak Eiger would make it less reliable than the Mako (single mode notwithstanding)?

Latest posts