Photon Proton Pro: Under appreciated?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've pulled my Proton Pro out recently and have been using it a lot more. It's actually a pretty unique light and seems under appreciated for some reason...I rarely see it mentioned anywhere.

I just had the AA lithium that was in it go out and I was surprised at how bright it was down to the end. The light isn't regulated but I guess that's just the nature of lithium batteries.

I've also recently opened up the head and cut some diffusion material and dropped it between the reflector and lens. It comes with a SMO reflector and a XR-E (I believe) anyway it has the typical Cree rings when used with a SMO reflector. It's a small enough light that I don't really use it as a thrower so with the diffusion material it's become much more useful (to me).

It's got a ring on the tail so it can either be used on a key chain or worn necklace style under the shirt (or clipped of course). It's got a button on the side with infinite brightness (hi to low). It also has a red LED and in that mode it ramps low to high.

I had forgotten that there is a way to engage it in 3 minute auto shut off mode. It also has beacon/SOS/rapid flashing and Morse Code modes.

Total length is only the length of 2 AA's (only uses 1 however). I think I purchased mine for about $40. It also has a GITD o-ring between the lens and the reflector.

For those who do care more about having a small light that throws it does that pretty well too.

I don't know why I don't hear more about it these days. Perhaps it's just because it isn't new anymore but I thought I'd mention it in this post for those who may not have heard of it.

It wasn't all that popular when I bought mine but it was a post like this that first let me know that there was such a beast :)

For me this makes a good backup light for hiking/camping or doing anything outdoors. I still mainly use a headlamp but having this on a necklace in a camping situation makes it a pretty versatile light. Since it gets down to .2 lumens in white mode it can run for a long time even though it only uses 1 AA battery. It can get even lower in red LED mode.

Last edited:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know why I don't hear more about it these days. Perhaps it's just because it isn't new anymore but I thought I'd mention it in this post for those who may not have heard of it.

It wasn't all that popular when I bought mine but it was a post like this that first let me know that there was such a beast :)

For me this makes a good backup light for hiking/camping or doing anything outdoors. I still mainly use a headlamp but having this on a necklace in a camping situation makes it a pretty versatile light. Since it gets down to .2 lumens in white mode it can run for a long time even though it only uses 1 AA battery. It can get even lower in red LED mode.

The reason we don't hear much about this light on CPF?

Probably because it doesn't conform to the predominant CPF opinion of what a flashlight should look like: anodized aluminum tube with "tactical" tail switch.

That, and the fact that it doesn't have the latest, greatest emitter capable of an output of 500 lumens for 5 minutes while running a 14500 cell. ;>

Many of the lights that I find most useful are largely ignored on CPF, because they aren't "sexy" and have more modest ouputs.

I've always thought the Proton Pro looked like a great light with unique capabilities for outdoor use. Nearly ordered one a few years back, but they had quality control problems with the light early in production.

By the time they had fixed the bugs in the Proton Pro I'd aleady ordered something else: Streamlight Sidewinder which provided most of the Proton Pro's capabilities for low level illumination with white and color LEDs.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Agree, adding some diffuser makes this a much better light. The red light in particular is much better diffused.

It is very compact and one of the few lights that I actually like the clip. Very easy to carry.

Thanks for bringing this up - mine's been in a drawer for a while, but I've just fished it out again - it would be fun to start using it again for a while.

jorgen

Enlightened
I own and have used this light regularly as a backup since I first got one. However today LRI makes tiny keychain lights with infinite brightness settings for around $10. They use cr2016 batteries, are much brighter than the Photon Pro and the beam is much smoother.
Mine has an electronic switch and a stated run time of 12 hours. I like to keep it clipped to the sheath of whatever I am carrying.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own and have used this light regularly as a backup since I first got one. However today LRI makes tiny keychain lights with infinite brightness settings for around $10. They use cr2016 batteries, are much brighter than the Photon Pro and the beam is much smoother.
Mine has an electronic switch and a stated run time of 12 hours. I like to keep it clipped to the sheath of whatever I am carrying.

I just bought the most recent edition of the proton pro (Cree Q5 I believe) about a month ago, and it has been my daily carry ever since. I don't know of any CR2016 based light that is brighter than the proton pro, or anywhere even close. The new proton pro is at least 110 lumens and I don't believe there is any CR2016 based light anywhere near that bright. I would like to see a link to such a light or a model number. I would buy a couple immediately.

Thanks

Bill

nightshade

Enlightened
Last edited:

Chadder

Enlightened
The proton pro was very popular here when it fist came out. I got mine based on good reviews here. That was a out 3 1/2 years ago. I think we dont here about them as much because they have been slower about updating to the newest and most recent emitter. I have to say LRI has awesome customer service! I sent my light with a worn out switch in and had it returned within a week!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I'd love to take a Proton Pro and get another reflector and emitter to make it neutral and floody. Shouldn't be too hard to drill a hole in the side for the red emitter and either leave it, or swap it for a UV emitter. The main thing I didn't like with mine was the blue tint and super narrow beam pattern and this would solve both as well as give the option to either leave in the red or change to whatever other emitter was desired.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rarely use mine due to the white LED light not coming on low first. Do the new ones have a better UI or is it the same? Also is there a newer brass spring that doesn't crush and dent battery cells?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I rarely use mine due to the white LED light not coming on low first. Do the new ones have a better UI or is it the same? Also is there a newer brass spring that doesn't crush and dent battery cells?

White starts on high and red starts on low. Don't know about the spring (haven't noticed a problem).

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I still use mine occasionally, and it stays loaded. One of my old favorites actually. Very nice deep pocket clip. It's UI with red and white available makes it unique.

Geoff

SoCalDep

Newly Enlightened
I love mine and use it all the time around the house. I used it a bunch during a two-day blackout this winter and use it almost nightly when closing the chicken coop, taking the dogs out, etc...It's not tactical, but how often do we need to be tactical? I have other lights to look for and defend against bad guys, but for the rest of the time, the Proton Pro is one of my favorites. Even better is the fact I got it for Christmas this past December and thought "what the heck is this?" It's a light I never would have purchased myself and it's really won me over. Hearing about mod potential has me even more excited!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
If your Pro is dimmer than the 5mm LED light you linked to, then you have a very defective pro. The light you linked to cannot be more than 10-20 lumens. Maybe I mis-understood your post. Wouldn't be the first time for me. lol

Bill

I was in error, you see, my photon is the UV/White version while everyone else in this thread has a White/Red light. The white led of my light is only rated at about 10 lumens. I checked on this last night but did not think anyone would care.

Dreamer

Newly Enlightened
I love the Proton Pro. Small sized and has lots of modes. Only thing I dislike is the copper? at the tailcap which create a dent on most of my eneloops.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the Proton Pro. Small sized and has lots of modes. Only thing I dislike is the copper? at the tailcap which create a dent on most of my eneloops.

+1 How are you and I the only ones experiencing this? I asked this question if maybe newer versions have an improved spring that doesn't dent cells and all I heard was the sound of crickets. I'd gladly buy a new Proton Pro if they fixed the brass hard spring into an actual spring

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've got a number of dented batteries, too. I won't put others in it now, not that it would really matter. That spring sure doesn't "give" much, but then good contact is never a problem.

Geoff

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd gladly buy a new Proton Pro if they fixed the brass hard spring into an actual spring

Don't buy a new one if your just looking for a brighter one. I swear I don't think my new version is any brighter than my first one, which was two versions ago, IIRC.
This light would be my perfect EDC if it was only around 40 - 50 lumens brighter.

Bill