• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Pocket clip & new option

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,

I have been contacted numerous times privately about the availability of the Ti clip on my lights and have offered the clips at times in threads as well as in an e-mail now and then. With the advent of a new optional clip that will be available on any of my lights being offered I figured it was time to introduce this other version as well as make both available as replacements or for other uses you guys may have.

So the new addition looks very similar to the original:

DSC_6880.jpg

The only difference is a utility feature that I had added. This feature may not be of much interest to most folks but I got tired of modifying the original clip on my own lights to include it. I had a pilot hole added to the clip as you can see above, which I then tap with a 1/4"x20 tap.

This threaded hole doesn't effect the normal function of the clip compared to the "stock" version one bit but it does add a useful (IMHO) attachment point. Those of you who have been around for a while are familiar with my affinity to 1/4"x20 attachments. :green:

One can easily mount a light on a small tripod which is probably the most obvious use of this feature:

DSC_7021.jpg

But one can get further carried away and explore nurdly realms limited only by one's imagination. For instance, I have put together an IR only camera rig in a waterproof housing and plan to use a pair of IR SunDrops for illumination:

DSC_6885.jpg

And if you have one of the web coil tethers with swivel, the light can be mounted on the swivel:

DSC_6985.jpg

And this gave me the excuse of getting with my favorite niece/ mermaid for some water shots of the tether in use.

P9309153.jpg

P9309164.jpg

She is attempting to illuminate the black frog fish in the image above which is actually a complete waste of time because the dang fish is black! But notice the tether is clipped to her suit and the light can even be clipped by virtue of the belt clip, with the tether attached:

P9309143.jpg

I could add some pics of the flashlight mounted on one of the loc-line stalks but I think you get the picture and such images would be a let down after these.

So to make this an official offering of the titanium flashlight clips, they are offered as follows:

Stock Ti clip with pair of titanium screws (#4-40 x 3/16") - $25 plus postage
1/4x20 Ti Clip with pair of titanium screws (#4040 x 3/16") - $30 plus postage

(How to order for those not familiar)

Going forward, if anyone requesting a light from me would prefer to have the 1/4x20 clip instead of the stock clip, please make mention of it in your order request and understand that I will add $5 to the price of the light.

EDIT 11-19-11

I realized after the fact that I should add a comment about the clip screws in this thread. The screws I use are #4-40x 3/16" 6-4 titanium which I get from Lunsford Racing. You need a good 1/16" hex driver to install and remove the screws. After having less than ideal success with drivers I had on hand I contacted Lunsford and asked them for recommendations. They told me to get a MIP Thorpe hex driver and that is what I have been using.

The whole function of these screws is to keep the clip securely attached to the light and not come loose under any circumstances. They perform this function well and almost to a fault when one wants to remove the screws. I can get significant torque with the Thorp driver and unfortunately this means you need a driver of equal grip to remove the screws. A standard hex driver can easily slip and spin in the head.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
:faint:

I live in the wrong state. :sweat: :wow:

What were talking about? Oh, clips, right. That hole for the swivel thingy is cool. It looks like the attachment offered with the clips on the old PDs If I remember Bernie's FAQ threads correctly. I have never actually seen one on any McGizmo lights before though. Were they not that popular? I could see the functionality.

Also, glad to see that clips will be a standard offer now either way. I was just going to email you, Don, about a clip anyways so this was perfect timing. (Thank you for your reply to my other email as well, btw.) Is there a chance that etched clips will be available? I would looove to put an etched clip on my Twisty when it arrives here. I think it would be a really classy addition to a really classy light.

scout24

Flashaholic
Awesome addition! The camera rig made my son laugh... "It looks like big feet!" He's nerdly when involved in his own activities, though, and I've chuckled at him more than once. (Why he's watching his old man look at flashlights at 7am on a Saturday morning while he's getting ready for work is beyond me...) Definitely adds a new level of versatility! :)

Barefootone

Enlightened
"Pocket clip & new option
Hi guys,

I have been contacted numerous times privately about the availability of the Ti clip on my lights and have offered the clips at times in threads as well as in an e-mail now and then. With the advent of a new optional clip that will be available on any of my lights being offered I figured it was time to introduce this other version as well as make both available as replacements or for other uses you guys may have.

So the new addition looks very similar to the original:

DSC_6880.jpg

The only difference is a utility feature that I had added. This feature may not be of much interest to most folks but I got tired of modifying the original clip on my own lights to include it. I had a pilot hole added to the clip as you can see above, which I then tap with a 1/4"x20 tap.

This threaded hole doesn't effect the normal function of the clip compared to the "stock" version one bit but it does add a useful (IMHO) attachment point. Those of you who have been around for a while are familiar with my affinity to 1/4"x20 attachments. :green: "

Yes the ¼"x20 attachment has been around a good number of years and I have used it a lot.
Clear back when I built my first McGizmo light a McLux Power Pack-EN plated (3x123) it has the ¼"x20 tapped holes which I have used over the years with a Sampo Stainless Steel swivel attached to a lanyard. This build has a McLux PR Head with a White 5W Lambertian (HD) LXHL-PW03 V LED run by a Downboy 400ma Stepdown Converter Board. A Dinosaur by today's standards, but still a powerful 5 W LED which I still use occasionally.
Anyway I've digressed and went off topic, but my point was the ¼"x20 attachment will prove useful for many IMHO.

Don, sorry for the unintentional plug, but I wanted to give a Little history :rolleyes:.

fyrstormer

Banned
Is there a way to mount a snap-in swivel clip to one of these, like some people have on their cellphones? I know that used to be an option on Aleph lights, but I think the screw size was different.

Anyway, I'm thinking I could use one of these on my Mule, since I use it as a light source for photography. Hmm...:sssh:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Is there a way to mount a snap-in swivel clip to one of these, like some people have on their cellphones? I know that used to be an option on Aleph lights, but I think the screw size was different....:

The swivel tab uses a #6-32 screw if memory serves and I know I have some of those around somewhere. I suspect that one could pass a short flat head screw up from the underside and effectively secure a tab using this new hole. I have a PD pak in the drawer that has a tab on it in this location and I think I probably used a countersink to open up the top end of the window in the clip right where this new hole is located.

The Sampo swivel coming out of the clip in the pics above is certainly awkward in its position when the light is not in use but it provides a very handy trigger grip when you grab the light and use it.

nbp,

I have no desire to expand on the offering here with further iterations of these clips. If you have something beyond the offering in mind, go ahead and contact me as you had planned to. (This is not an encouragement for everyone to consider as an open door :duck: )

Barefootone

Enlightened
The swivel tab uses a #6-32 screw if memory serves and I know I have some of those around somewhere. I suspect that one could pass a short flat head screw up from the underside and effectively secure a tab using this new hole. I have a PD pak in the drawer that has a tab on it in this location and I think I probably used a countersink to open up the top end of the window in the clip right where this new hole is located.

The Sampo swivel coming out of the clip in the pics above is certainly awkward in its position when the light is not in use but it provides a very handy trigger grip when you grab the light and use it.

nbp,

I have no desire to expand on the offering here with further iterations of these clips. If you have something beyond the offering in mind, go ahead and contact me as you had planned to. (This is not an encouragement for everyone to consider as an open door :duck: )

Hey Don,

Uh huh you did it now, incomming :nana:~~~~~

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I'm really happy to see that the new clip doesn't replace the original clip. IMO the original clip looks nicer than any other clip available anywhere.

BolderDave

Newly Enlightened
Forget the 1/4"x20 mount, I want full Arca-Swiss compatibility with my RRS BH-55 ball head (the photographers out there will get the reference).

Seriously though I'm looking for a clip for the v10r ti. Has anyone used these great looking ti clips?

Thanks, Dave

fyrstormer

Banned
You would have to drill and tap your own mounting holes on the V10R. Also, I'm not sure the V10R's body is long enough to prevent the clip from scrubbing against the brightness control ring.

BolderDave

Newly Enlightened
You would have to drill and tap your own mounting holes on the V10R. Also, I'm not sure the V10R's body is long enough to prevent the clip from scrubbing against the brightness control ring.

Thanks, I don't mind the drilling or tapping but the length might be an issue... Anyone know offhand?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I added an edit to the first post in this thread regarding the necessary tool for installation and removal of the clip screws. This subject has come up numerous times over the years but the various discussions are now buried in old threads. I install the clip screws with the sole intent that they remain in place and I use a very good driver that produces significant torque for snugging the screws in place. Consequently you need a good driver to remove the screws!

I spoke with a salesperson at MIP where the Thorpe driver is made and she told me I would be able to buy some drivers directly from her but I have not heard back from her after sending her my contact information via e-mail. You can find any number of Hobby Supplies on line who offer the MIP Thorpe 1/16" driver but I realize that for some of you international members or folks not living in the states that the shipping can be excessive (it is for me here in Hawaii). If I am successful in obtaining a number of these drivers I will post so in this thread and hopefully be able to offer a driver at the going on-line price but with the advantage of including it with a light and avoiding additional shipping fees.