• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Logan 17500 QTC in SS with battery adapters

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my new Logan 17500 QTC in SS today with the battery adapters. I just have to say Curt is a genius and his work is meticulous and a work of art the way the adapters work. I have bought generic type battery adapters before and they always seemed chintzy and still had an annoying rattle. Curt's design are a perfect fit and it appears they will last a lifetime!

I ordered a QTC momentary switch, which Bob from RMSK had pre-installed for me (Thanks so much Bob!) and it works great! I was unsure whether I could use the light with the momentary switch installed to where I wouldn't have to hold the switch down and I was pleasantly surprised that you can still turn on the light just by twisting a little tighter. Back it off and then the momentary works as well. Very nice design and I will say the Stainless Steel is beautiful and has a nice solid feel. It's my first SS Peak light that is knurled (I have an old McKinley unknurled) and this feels so good.

I was really wanting a brass model but they didn't have the 17500 QTC Logan in brass yet so I thought I'd be settling with the SS model. I think I actually prefer the SS now over the brass. The threads are smooth and it just looks like a million bucks! Thanks Bob @ RMSK and thanks Curt for your tireless work and attention to detail!

jorgen

Enlightened
Mine will arrive today in the same packet as a Vesuvius and I am more interested in the Logan than the other.
The V will be my first XML light but when I order it my thinking was if it isn't useful, for me, I'll at least have a AAA body for my Shatax head.
OTOH, The SS Logan 175 with battery tubes and momentary will offer more utility than any other light I own. At first, I was unhappy that a brass version wasn't available but it would have been a very heavy light to carry, so now I think SS is a better choice.

jorgen

Enlightened
My Logan arrived and I agree it is a wonderful light. I've tried a AAA, AA & cr123 with the tubes. The AAA & AA worked perfectly but I was at first disappointed with the 123 as there was a noticeable rattle. Once I reversed the tube and the battery the rattle disappeared and the fit is perfect. The momentary allows adjustable ramping the is smoother than the Youtube video.
I'll run the light on a 123 battery until my AW 17500s arrive even though the light is brighter with a 14500.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you like yours. I love my SS pocket 17500. I think the 17500 is a fantastic size. It fits great in the hand and a PEAK pocket version is as small as an AA light (and smaller than many other AA lights) but with 50% more capacity. Its nice knowing this little light has the extra capacity that this cell provides. And man does this thing feel solid and well made!

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will buy another 17500 QTC once they get the brass models back in. The 17500 is the jack of all trades and master of all!

Lumenz

Enlightened
Could you take a pic of the adapter? I am debating between this light and the SC80, which does not need an adapter. I prefer the quality of the Peak lights but I am afraid I would lose the adapter since the light would be stuffed in my Bug Out Bag.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
The adapters are in a plastic storage tube so you'd still need to pack that extra tube with your bag.

Logan 17500 and adapters.jpg

BELOW: Left to right is the AAA in the sleeve, the AA in a cylinder with no bottom, the CR123/RCR123/LiFePO4 with spacer with 2 metal contacts.

2r6oevp.jpg

ju76eo.jpg

ps. is there something wrong with the Tinypic or Photobucket websites? Nothing is loading correctly and it is acting erratic.

UPDATE: hours later and both Photobucket and Tinypic are now working normally so they must have been working on the site.

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
Thank you for posting the pictures. I think I could manage not losing the adapters. The SC80 adapter is ingenius (in my opinion) but that style would not work for Peak lights. I don't trust the quality of the Chinese light maker with the name of a striped horse enough to bet my life on it.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my Logan QTC 17500/AA in SS also, but I got the long keychain end.

This light and the batt adapters are fantastic. This is my third peak (1xAAA w/3-red 5mm leds & 1x123 w/7-UV 5mm led's) like the other two Peak's the Logan is built so a tank could run over it and still work.

I'm very pleased with this light.

lampy

Newly Enlightened
<Edit>
Ooops didn't realise there was a whole Peak section here. I'll have a look through it for the info I need

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool info, thanks!

Clearly, this particular light is a total genius EDC/bugout bag light. It covers alkalines, NiMH, lithum primaries and Li-Ions in AAA, AA, 123, and of course 17500 formats!! Wow.

Plus with the QTC you get very low to very high outputs seamlessly. Plus the beam is very nice! Plus it's one of the smallest lights out there that can do all of these things. That HDS which is very popular is actually quite a large light by comparison and you need extra (metal) battery tubes to get versatility. It does have a somewhat larger reflector but given that both are EDC lights, I think the larger reflector is not such a big plus.

And the various configurations (alum, brass, SS) make it even an even easier sell. Though, the alum version is so light and still tough, unless you really go mainly by looks, it is a great choice. Get it with a clip and it is very easy to attach somewhere (a pocket, a bag, etc.).

I guess the biggest innovations are the QTC and battery flexibility, since compared with previous peak lights you had to choose an output level which was a bummer (great to get max blast but runtime could then be iffy and heat could be an issue; but if you got a lower output level, you regretted not having that max blast available if needed!).

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Peak Logan 17500 light come with adapters for the three battery types that it's able to run? I didn't realize they could do AAA and AA. Thought that the Eiger and El Cap were the two to choose if you were going that route. Interesting light.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The adapters are an additional accessory.

The Logan 17500 is my main travel light.

It runs AA (any chemistry) and you only need the adapter to avoid "tube rattle"

The AAA and CR123A adapters greatly expand your power options, and of course you can run 17500 as designed.

I also had a custom CR2 adapter made for mine, too.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you sir! The pocket bodies look interesting. Do you have an El Cap as well Arch? Trying to look up what the size difference is between the two.
The adapters are an additional accessory.

The Logan 17500 is my main travel light.

It runs AA (any chemistry) and you only need the adapter to avoid "tube rattle"

The AAA and CR123A adapters greatly expand your power options, and of course you can run 17500 as designed.

I also had a custom CR2 adapter made for mine, too.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thank you sir! The pocket bodies look interesting. Do you have an El Cap as well Arch? Trying to look up what the size difference is between the two.
I might have a few, indeed ....

And, the El Cap is a little thinner.

0IzBT93.jpg

El Cap vs Logan 17500

Pvxin5t.jpg

Logan 17500 vs Logan CR123A (vs T1A)

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the pics! So the El Cap and the Logan 17500 are about the same length but El Cap is thinner. Logan CR123A is much shorter than the 17500 especially with what looks like a mule head. Why does the Cr123A get less use for you Arch? Oh ALSO! Do those lights function the same with the keyring detached? Do they essentially become a pocket body when they're removed?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for the pics!

Sure, cheers

So the El Cap and the Logan 17500 are about the same length but El Cap is thinner.

Yes, same but thinner

Logan CR123A is much shorter than the 17500 especially with what looks like a mule head.

Exactly

Why does the Cr123A get less use for you Arch?

Because I have a lot of 'loops and L91's

Oh ALSO! Do those lights function the same with the keyring detached? Do they essentially become a pocket body when they're removed?

If you take off the keyring, there's a large threaded hole, but you can put a plunger (momentary) switch there instead.