Groundbreaking New Thrower!!The new DEFT-edc LR

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok so I have been holding out on you guys for a long time now. As some of you know I have mentioned before of developing a new technology to significantly increase the throw of aspheric lights. For the first time you will now be able to purchase a product with this technology. First though some pictures.

The New DEFT-edc LR

91edf177.jpg

fc8572d5.jpg

21c1c982.jpg

The DEFT-edc LR is the beginning of a new class of handheld spotlights. This is the first commercialization of a technology I developed to drastically increase the performance. While other flashlight companies are content to wait on LED manufacturers to innovate I have spent years in the research and development of fundamental technological change. Why? Not for commercial gain but for the shear pleasure that comes from pushing the boundaries and seeing what is humanly possible. And I can tell you that the future looks bright.

The DEFT-edc LR is an evolution of the DEFT-edc platform and as such benefits from the highly thought out and balanced design. That said the LR is more revolution as will become clear. There is no part of this light that was an afterthought. The light was conceived as a whole with the battery, LED, body, driver, and thermal paths all working in perfect harmony to achieve the greatest performance that this world can muster.

This performance is achieved through "right sizing" the components and by endowing the light with an extremely good thermal path to shed the heat from the LED. Since it is my goal to make tools and not toys the light is designed for more than just quick bursts.

The DEFT-edc LR like the DEFT-edc utilizes a custom short focal length glass aspheric lens for high throughput and an extremely intense beam. The difference is the LR uses lenses that are hand picked for higher performance.

In addition to the hand picked lenses the LEDs used are the top of the top bin. This required much work and the development of a special testing rig to sub-bin all the LEDs more stringently than what Cree themselves do. Some of these are in actuality Q5 bin.

When pushing the boundaries one must use the highest quality materials. The LED is direct solder mounted to a custom designed "pill" made of solid high conductance annealed copper. This then is joined to the body with an interference fit to maximize the heat transfer. The copper used is very expensive 99.99% pure Copper with an IACS conductivity rating of over 101%. It is extremely rare for any flashlight company to use copper at all much less the very high grade I am using. The reason is simple- the LED must be able to shed heat to maintain output and prevent thermal failure of the LED. This is even more important in a light like this which is pushing the LED far beyond the manufacturers spec.

Performance_____________

And now we come to one of the key components that enables the groundbreaking performance seen on the LR. First off it is good to note that the competition hasn't even come anywhere close to reaching the performance levels of the regular DEFT-edc at 40K cd or as many people are used to seeing 40k lux @1 meter. The DEFT-edc LR however achieves a stunning 50% improvement over that to a grand total of 60K cd!!

As if that wasn't amazing enough it does this while simultaneously having a neutral tint for better color rendition. Normally to achieve a neutral tint requires a drop in performance but here we have a massive improvement. The 50% improvement number really does not tell the whole story because if you were to compare like for like(neutral vs neutral) the difference is even greater and would actually be a greater than 100% improvement as the factory neutral tint LED would be a lower bin and would require a reduction in current to achieve similar lifetimes.

The key is in a package technology that allows the LED to recycle wasted light and turn it into usable light redirected out of the light. This process of double excitation of the phosphor creates a warmer, more pleasing light. Some of you are aware of existing recycling technology. I found the existing solution to be clumsy to incorporate into a product. My solution is a package level enhancement that needs no alignment or sub-assemblies.

This performance boost comes without increasing the size of the light or increasing the current. It truly is groundbreaking.

DEFT-edc on left and DEFT-edc LR on right
2b410b0d.jpg

DEFT-edc
fbd3e3ce-1.jpg

DEFT-edc LR
ad3537ff-1.jpg

The "notch" you see in the beam pattern is a result of the Cree LED itself. It is a gold bond pad for the current spreader. Since this light uses a lens to project an image of the LED die the die structure is visible. For maximum throw this is unavoidable. A stowable diffuser is included and can be used to smooth the beam. My diffuser solution is very easy to use, but more importantly, completely out of the way when not in use. Since it is stowable it will always be with you when you need it. Other company's diffusers are clunky and huge or are hard to keep track of while not in use.

2302ad8e-1.jpg

I get a lot of questions about what battery I recommend. Although any 18650 will do just fine my personal opinion is that the Callies Kustoms 3100mAh protected cells are the best. The AW brand 2900mAh are also a great choice. Since the DEFT-edc LR is double sprung you do not need batteries with a raised positive end.

I can't tell you just how happy I am to be able to bring such cutting edge technology to you all. And a big Thank You!! to all those who have continued to support me.

Specs:
Head diameter-33.6mm
Body diameter-25.08mm
Length- 135mm
Weight(without battery)- 114grams
Battery- 1 Rechargeable Lithium-ion 18650
(battery not included)(not compatible with 123 size cells)
GITD tailcap cover
GITD Grip Rings
99.99% pure copper first tier thermal path(over 101% IACS conductivity rating)
Reverse polarity protection
Silver coated beryllium copper positive battery spring
1.4A Regulated Driver
Neutral tint Cree XP-C Q4
Typical throw performance of 60K cd/60K lux @1 meter

The price is $239 and can be purchased here.

Last edited:

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
Re: Groundbreaking New Thrower!!

ugh, they are all gonna be sold out before I get the money!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Michael,

Congrats on releasing this amazing beast of a light.

I think you just raised the bar beyond the highest rung for led throwers!
Any more lux and you'll be selling lasers :twothumbs:

Looking forward to playing with the new magic in person.

tgwnn

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike, Congrats on EDC LR!

The key is in a package technology that allows the LED to recycle wasted light and turn it into usable light redirected out of the light. This process of double excitation of the phosphor creates a warmer, more pleasing light. Some of you are aware of existing recycling technology. I found the existing solution to be clumsy to incorporate into a product. My solution is a package level enhancement that needs no alignment or sub-assemblies.

Are you taking the Wavien LED Recycling Collar concept down to to the LED Dome level?
i.e paint with some kind of mirror paint to bottom half of the dome to make the bottom half of the dome reflective & reflect light back to the die?.
Will you consider selling some improved XREs or XMLs? :naughty:

Last edited:

samuraishot

Enlightened
Amazing & congrats, Michael!

Do you have any details for those who would like to upgrade an existing DEFT-EDC, if it is at all possible?

D

Deleted member 97529

Stunning! Is it possible to swap the reverse clicky out for a forward clicky? That'll make the light perfect!

GulfCoastToad

Newly Enlightened

Subscribed. Might not make it under the tree in time for Christmas, but I can't wait to see what this light does in the field.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Michael, a friendly suggestion since I looked for the thread, and didn't see it until coming back 3 times....change the title to DEFT-edc LR A Groundbreaking New Thrower. We are used to looking for DEFT as the topic hook recognition. Anyway, I bought one. When is delivery into my hot little hands anticipated? I have some "friends" I want to show it to.

The Coach

Enlightened

DOH.jpg

Just when I thought I was out....................

I went to the site last night to buy a DEFT-edc and they were out of stock, so I just signed up and this morning I get an email about this new light. :ohgeez: The LR was the deal breaker, knocked me right off of the fence onto my wallet. Crossing my fingers it will be here in time to show it off at the NYCKS (in NJ). :devil:

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mike, Congrats on EDC LR!

Are you taking the Wavien LED Recycling Collar concept down to to the LED Dome level?
i.e paint with some kind of mirror paint to bottom half of the dome to make the bottom half of the dome reflective & reflect light back to the die?.
Will you consider selling some improved XREs or XMLs? :naughty:
No this is not a derivation of the Wavien concept. I have mentioned to others who have postulated the idea of putting a reflector on the package that that really would not work. I will at some point sell some modified LEDs but not right at this moment. Just too busy.

Amazing & congrats, Michael!

Do you have any details for those who would like to upgrade an existing DEFT-EDC, if it is at all possible?
It will be possible to update the old lights. Mostly anyway. It will not have the hand picked lenses or the top of the top binned LEDs. I also cannot turn the bodies to make the center section match the new style as the permanently installed driver will not allow it to slip on to our machine for that operation. I will send out a notification when I am ready to start the edc upgrades though.

Stunning! Is it possible to swap the reverse clicky out for a forward clicky? That'll make the light perfect!
Hmm...not sure. I will look into it. If nothing else you can get a P60 host that you like with a forward clicky and I can modify that for you.

Michael, a friendly suggestion since I looked for the thread, and didn't see it until coming back 3 times....change the title to DEFT-edc LR A Groundbreaking New Thrower. We are used to looking for DEFT as the topic hook recognition. Anyway, I bought one. When is delivery into my hot little hands anticipated? I have some "friends" I want to show it to.
I adjusted the title to insert DEFT into there for everyone. Shipping begins in just a few days. Thanks

Crossing my fingers it will be here in time to show it off at the NYCKS (in NJ). :devil:
I'll do my best. When is this event?

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought me mine. It'll be my first DEFT and I am super excited that it's a neutral tint!

Looks like there are only 4 more available according to the website.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just pulled the trigger also...Great Job Michael.....Robert.

Sky

Newly Enlightened

Website says only 3 of the new ones left. Don't wait too long. I didn't and can't wait to try mine out.....Sky

The Coach

Enlightened

I'll do my best. When is this event?

That was just wishful thinking, the show is this weekend. It's a custom knife show, but there were 2 dealers there last year selling chinese lights and bragging about how bright they were. I had a Tri-EDC and it knocked their socks off. People were coming up to me and asking about it. What can I say, I like to show off. :devil:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

That was just wishful thinking, the show is this weekend. It's a custom knife show, but there were 2 dealers there last year selling chinese lights and bragging about how bright they were. I had a Tri-EDC and it knocked their socks off. People were coming up to me and asking about it. What can I say, I like to show off. :devil:
Oh. Well yeah that's going to be difficult. Want to meet halfway in Tennessee? It's still technically doable.