Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
*LAST UPDATED 8 MAY 2014*

we all have cells lying around that are half dead, because they dont run our lights at nice powerful outputs anymore...so what are the lights that run depleted cells well on the various battery form factors?
i was thiking of making this a master listing thread for those...and make them commercially available lights...yes i know the milky candle exists, but im wondering whats on the commercial market too...

EDIT: 8 May 2014, Better late than never? :whistle:
LightBattery TypeBattery ConfigurationContibutor
PALight Range9 volt1omega man
"Windeal" From EbayAA1Gregozedobe
4sevens Quark Mini AAAA1Flying_Turtle
Dorcy 2AAAA2Lynx_Arc
Gerber Recon AAAA1Harry999
Maratac AAAA1red02
Nitecore D11.2AA1Flying_Turtle
Princeton Tec AttitudeAA4Jake.t
ThruNite T10AA1PCC
Gerber ReconAA1angelofwar
Opalec NewBeam for MiniMagAA2Sinjz
UK 4 eLedAA4Led Thrift
CMG InfinityAA1greenLED
Fenix L2D-CEAA2ValhallaPrime
Gerber TrioAA2AFAustin
Inova X1 gen2AA1jumpstat
Peak Logan 17500 QTCAA/AAA/CR123A1archimedes
BB Nexgen from Sandwich ShoppeAA/CR123A2AA/1 CR123ALowLumen
Quark Low Voltage HeadAA/CR123A1 (with adaptor)reppans
Coast led lenser Mini Tac TT7830CPAAA1Light Sabre
iTP C8AAA1/2shark_za
KaiDomain "Buckle" AAA lightAAA1swxb12
Olight/iTp i3(AAA)AAA1HighlanderNorth, JohnnyLunar
Task Force 1AAAAA1Flying Turtle
4Sevens Preon 1AAA1PCC
Dorcy 1 Led 1 AAAAAA1p1fiend
Fenix LD10AAA1wjv
Rayovac penlightAAA1RCM
Arc AAAAAA1greenLED
Fenix E0AAA1-
Fenix E01AAA1-
Peak MatterhornAAA1AFAustin
Jetbeam BC10CR123A1think2x
Jetbeam BC10CR123A1think2x
Malkoff M60CR123AMultipleSwedpat
McLuxIII-PDCR123A1KenAnderson
McLuxIII-Ti-PDCR123A1KenAnderson
Pierce M10CR123A1Playboyjoeshmoe
Solarforce LV P60CR123A1shao.fu.tzer
Sportac P60CR123AMulitplecland72
Surefire A2CR123A2jh333233
Surefire L1 (5th Gen)CR123A1Kestrel, angelofwar
Surefire T1ACR123A1jh333233
Surefire A2L-RDCR123A1 (with adaptor)think2x
Thrunite Neutron 1CCR123A1shao.fu.tzer
Thrunite XM-L D26CR123A1JohnnyLunar
Inova X5CR123A2-
Inova X5 (red)CR123A1marduke
4sevens Quark MiNi 123CR123A1fisk-king
Arc Ls (Original Model)CR123A1greenLED
Dorcy 1 watt CR123CR123A1TMorita
HDS on lowest settingCR123A1Thermal Guy
Inova 24/7CR123A1Joe Talmadge
Lightflux LF3XTCR123A1Flying_Turtle
Nitecore ExtremeCR123A1VF1Jskull1
Peak McKinleyCR123A1AFAustin
Ra Clicky/Ra TwistyCR123A1270winchester
Smith & Wesson 9X GalaxyCR123A2angelofwar
Surefire L1CR123A1Flying_Turtle
Tekna Splash-Lite LEDCR123A1louroy
Zebralight H30CR123A1Playboyjoeshmoe
Elektrolumens LightsDMulitplesubumbra
Eveready 1D LEDD1/2Lynx_Arc
MJLedDMulitpletebore
Nite Ize PR Bulb Led UpgradeDMulitplemarduke
MAGled 2 cellMultiple-PCC
P60 5mm LED Drop-inMultiple-M@elstrom
Streamlight Twin TaskMultiple-PlayboyJoeShmoe
PEAK LED SOLUTIONS ShastaN1RAGE CAGE

:caution:Running "dead" CR123A in this configuration has been known to cause explosions (see disclaimer) It is highly NOT reccomended:caution:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=78843
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/120888&pp=30

Homemade/Cpfer Made/Modified
These are not necesarily always available, and some are DIY

abvidledUK's home made 9V
MilkyCandle
Surefire E-Series MicroTower (E-MT) F1 LED drop-in, Thanks Bullzeyebill
Build Yer Own Vampire
The Sandwich Shoppe's Mad Max drivers

please post additional battery types if need be,
and ill update this post as more posts come in..

im guessing that any light here will probably be also suitable as a "long run time" light...

Crenshaw

Disclaimer
There is a risk involved in running lithium cells totally dry in a light, please search "exploding batteries" BEFORE trying this, and if you do try, you do so at your own risk...

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Battery Vampires

I use 2 "dead" AA's for my Smith & Wesson Galaxy (Red LEDS)
1 "dead" AA on my Gerber Recon
And 2 "dead" cr123's to run the 9 white LEDs on another S & W Galaxy (the 9 LED/xenon model)

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened

My Dorcy 1xAAA 1-LED light (from Walmart) has been trucking along on an exhausted AAA alkaline that won't light up the big boys like LODs or A1s. Still puts out a very useable amount of light too.

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened

Running 2xCR123 cells dry in a light is probably not a good idea...

There has been quite a bit written about this.

True, good point to remind us all of.

However the X5 seems to be quite gentle on exhausted 123 cells.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

@subumbra
I suppose you mean the the exploding cell effect? true... but still, its rare....this listing will hence forth be at owner's risk...
;)
Crenshaw

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast

Running 2xCR123 cells dry in a light is probably not a good idea...

There has been quite a bit written about this.

I thought, unlike the multi-cell lights that use circuits to draw high current, that the Inova X5 was safe with two cells because it just uses a resistor and doesn't draw more than what the battery want to push out. :thinking: is that wrong? :confused:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

@subumbra
I suppose you mean the the exploding cell effect? true... but still, its rare....this listing will hence forth be at owner's risk...
;)
Crenshaw
Cool -- as long as you don't mind the occasional light blowing up in your pocket and possibly bursting into flames -- hey, I've got no problem with that!.

But then, for those who may have an aversion to explosions happening in their pockets, they would be well advised to avoid these events you discribe as rare. It may just be that you are able to describe these events as rare because the majority of users are well informed enough to not draw pairs of CR123 cells down to the point where one of the cells causes the other to charge in reverse polarity...and then make a mess.

Sooo...I'm just trying to say that when you put the 2xCR123 scenario into your original post it was something that should be removed because it has been shown to present a well known hazardous condition.

If you insist on asserting that this well known danger is, in your words, "rare", perhaps it would make more sense to address this issue in a thread of it's own where the safety issues could be more clearly addressed without muddying the broader issues of this thread.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought, unlike the multi-cell lights that use circuits to draw high current, that the Inova X5 was safe with two cells because it just uses a resistor and doesn't draw more than what the battery want to push out. :thinking: is that wrong? :confused:
This situation is muddied by the fact that the INOVA X5 red is often recommended as a great light to draw the last out of a 123 cell. While this is true, it is very important to remember that the INOVA X5 with a red LED only uses one cr123 cell.

The INOVA X5 Red is not a 2xcr123 light.

scottaw

Enlightened

Somebody jacked my red X5 from my house...think it was my roommate's drunk friends....grrr have to hunt down a new one....

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool -- as long as you don't mind the occasional light blowing up in your pocket and possibly bursting into flames -- hey, I've got no problem with that!.

But then, for those who may have an aversion to explosions happening in their pockets, they would be well advised to avoid these events you discribe as rare. It may just be that you are able to describe these events as rare because the majority of users are well informed enough to not draw pairs of CR123 cells down to the point where one of the cells causes the other to charge in reverse polarity...and then make a mess.

Sooo...I'm just trying to say that when you put the 2xCR123 scenario into your original post it was something that should be removed because it has been shown to present a well known hazardous condition.

If you insist on asserting that this well known danger is, in your words, "rare", perhaps it would make more sense to address this issue in a thread of it's own where the safety issues could be more clearly addressed without muddying the broader issues of this thread.

the issue has already been adressed in many threads, so i wont start a new one, i am here just listing possibilities, and in fact, putting 2xCR123A and adding a warning behind it, which i will do, may do better then to not at all, being that at least if a newer flashaholic reads this thread wondering what to do with thier "dead" batteries, they will know what can and should be done, and what can,but should not be done.Thanks for the heads up subumbra..:thumbsup:

that being said, Im sure you have used CR123A batteries that do not work in Incans in your LED lights before ?
and the danger was identified as using 2 different CR123A batteries. Meaning, they were from different lights, and therefore in different states of discharge, that was the danger. Two batteries from the same light will have had the same dicharge. If that were not the case, then we wouldnt bee able to use any kind of 2XCR123A lights even with new batteries, because of the risk that they start running low, they might explode..

Crenshaw

paulr

Flashaholic

Many measurements have shown that 2x123 lights often end up with their cells in unequal states of discharge, for reasons nobody has ever figured out clearly, despite repeated experimental confirmation. So, don't count on them being equal.

Really, if you're making enough depleted cells for this kind of recovery to be worthwhile, maybe you should look into using rechargeables more of the time.

That said, I did some tests a while back that found the Arc AAA could keep getting light out of an almost dead AAA cell. Even after it gave out, you could rest the cell for a while and then run it some more.

TMorita

Enlightened
Re: Battery Vampires - Lights that you can feed your "dead" cells to, listing..

Vampires don't feed on dead animals. They feed on live ones.

You haven't watched enough horror movies!!!

For 1xCR123 I would add the Dorcy 1 watt CR123. It will emit a fair amount of light on batteries that are completely dead in my other lights.

Toshi

ajairlines

Newly Enlightened

I run my used CR123 cells down in my Lithium Glo-Toobs. One CR123 per Glo-Toob...

gottawearshades

Enlightened

Great question.

I have a pile of partly-used primary 123As that I have been feeding to a SF E1L cree.

I've been meaning to ask folks what's a good, cheap, well-regulated, safe light to do this with, as my E1L seems destined for more important missions.

Cheers

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I run my used CR123 cells down in my Lithium Glo-Toobs. One CR123 per Glo-Toob...

Same here:wave: the lil guy is starting to grow on me!

Mayo

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

the issue has already been adressed in many threads, so i wont start a new one, i am here just listing possibilities, and in fact, putting 2xCR123A and adding a warning behind it, which i will do, may do better then to not at all, being that at least if a newer flashaholic reads this thread wondering what to do with thier "dead" batteries, they will know what can and should be done, and what can,but should not be done.Thanks for the heads up subumbra..:thumbsup:

that being said, Im sure you have used CR123A batteries that do not work in Incans in your LED lights before ?
and the danger was identified as using 2 different CR123A batteries. Meaning, they were from different lights, and therefore in different states of discharge, that was the danger. Two batteries from the same light will have had the same dicharge. If that were not the case, then we wouldnt bee able to use any kind of 2XCR123A lights even with new batteries, because of the risk that they start running low, they might explode..

Crenshaw

Emphasis mine.

No, I haven't. My unstated actions are completely unknown to you. Kindly leave me out of your rationalizations.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

The best single AA drainer I have is a 1 watt Task Force from Lowe's. I'm amazed how long it will continue to function, and fire back up after turning off even when the battery is almost dead. I also use it with a spacer to drain AAA batteries.

Geoff

Latest posts