Battery Tester??

cehowardGS

Newly Enlightened
What is a good battery tester for a newbie?

I am using AA,AAA, rechargable AA,AAA, moving up to 18650,14500,26650.

Thanks in advance,

ragweed

Enlightened
Whatever you decide to get make sure it will test the battery under actual load conditions! Anything else is useless IMO.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forget battery testers...get a good multi-meter....that'll give you the basics, plus it will allow you to trouble-shoot your lights/lamp assemblies...something a battery tester won't do...

Last edited:

apvm

Newly Enlightened
Forget battery testers...get a good multi-meter....that'll give you the basics, plus it will allow you to trouble your lights/lamp assemblies...something a battery tester won't do...

+1 agreed with you, a good multi-meter is best.

Astro

Newly Enlightened
Talking of using multimeters - I've heard people saying that the 3.7v 18650s should be charged to 4.2 v. Is that the reading with a load or with no load (and if it is with a load, then what resistance?). I have tried doing a search but I think my question is too basic for the search to bring up the answer.

Thanks

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking of using multimeters - I've heard people saying that the 3.7v 18650s should be charged to 4.2 v. Is that the reading with a load or with no load (and if it is with a load, then what resistance?). I have tried doing a search but I think my question is too basic for the search to bring up the answer.

Thanks

Just by reading your question, I'm assuming they mean 4.2 volts off the charger...as 99% of referenced readings are not under load, that's a safe guess...that, plus most "3 volt" RCR's come off the charger at that reading. "Under Load" will vary based on what's being drawn...the only time it will come into question, is when it's whether or not the battery can keep up with the draw of the lamp (also known as amperage)

cehowardGS

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for the feedback. :)

Will look into a multimeter and go from there.

This stuff is addicting.. ;)

cehowardGS

Newly Enlightened
Whatever you decide to get make sure it will test the battery under actual load conditions! Anything else is useless IMO.

Under load conditions? I am a newbie.. Liking this stuff a lot, but not versed by a long shot. In about a week or so, I should be able to absorb some of this..

Thanks

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
A multimeter is useful for many things, but it's also good to have a battery tester, especially with primaries. One of the best is made by ZTS, just Google ZTS Inc.

Astro

Newly Enlightened
a battery behaves very differently when you are using it (under a load - with it giving power to something) than it does when it is on its own or just being tested with a meter.

To test a battery under a load means putting a resistor across the + and - of the battery while you test it with a multimeter. The value of the resistor and its power handling are important - but basically you can get the resistors you need for testing for a few dollars, its just a matter of reading up what you need and for what tests and why.

Having seen a few threads on exploded torches due too people not knowing about batteries, I have been spending a few days schooling myself on it - but I won't tell you what I learnt in case I got it wrong, there are better exerts here than me!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
a battery behaves very differently when you are using it (under a load - with it giving power to something) than it does when it is on its own or just being tested with a meter.

To test a battery under a load means putting a resistor across the + and - of the battery while you test it with a multimeter. The value of the resistor and its power handling are important - but basically you can get the resistors you need for testing for a few dollars, its just a matter of reading up what you need and for what tests and why.

Having seen a few threads on exploded torches due too people not knowing about batteries, I have been spending a few days schooling myself on it - but I won't tell you what I learnt in case I got it wrong, there are better exerts here than me!

Yes...some batteries can handle "high drain" devices (i.e. lamps) while others can not. As long as you stick with quality, American made primaries, there's very little to worry about "explosions". Explosions occur in 1 of 2 ways, for the most part; 1) Primaries being mixed (whether different brands or the same brand that was used in a different light) or 2) Lithiums R/C's being drained below their threshold. You can use a multi-meter with an amperage reading as a "battery tester", by merely hooking the positive lead up between the "+" spring of the lamp and the tail cap...that will tell you how many amps you are drawing...and if you know the mAh rating of the battery, that should give you approximate run times (mAh divided by amps being drawn by said device) . If you just want to see how much power your batteries have left, then get a multi-meter. If you want to see how your batteries are "performing", well, most of the tests for particulars brands of batteries have already been done, it's just a matter of reading up on them.

Clear as mud??? LOL!

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Last edited:

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
ZTS testers can be found at Battery Junction, and although I don't have a battery tester myself, I do use a Fluke 112 multimeter for my testing (continuity, resistance, volts, amps, etc.)

Last edited:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
+1 for the ZTS-1. A DMM won't tell you the condition of the battery, just the voltage at the terminals. Do correct me if wrong.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are careful and your meter has a 10 amp DC scale it's possible testing without resistors. Quickly testing the number of ("flash") amps a cell can dump into a nearly short circuit can supply useful info. Primary cells will show the amount of remaining capacity. New alkaline cells test close to ~8 amps and decrease as their capacity is consumed. CR123 can supply over 10 amps this way when new and less as they're used up.

NiCD & NiMH cells will show present state of charge, but not remaining capacity by "flash amp" testing. A reading of ~10 amps or more indicates the cell's not discharged, but it may only have part of its remaining capacity. A better test is measuring voltage across a heavier load of an amp or more.

As was mentioned, LiIon cells are easy because voltage directly indicates present state of charge, however, not total capacity.

The ZTS is a cost effective addition to a DMM for easy testing.

Genoan

Newly Enlightened

mccririck

Enlightened
Re: A great $30 tester everyone should own.

I use a battery tester I got in Lidl for about £3. I use it for testing the voltage of AA and AAA primaries. I find I can still use them in single cell flashlights until they run down to 1.2 to 1.3 volts then they are too dim. But it means I can use batteries which no longer work in other appliances and still get some use out of them. It's interesting because alkaline primaries tend to work ok down to the level a said, but lithium primaries stay at 1.5V until the bitter end then suddenly that's it, they're gone.

Last edited:

Bozzlite

Enlightened
Re: A great $30 tester everyone should own.

I stand by my original recommendation. A multimeter is better than a battery tester for a newbie.