CPF Acronyms/Terminology (NEWBS/NOOBS, Look Here!)

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update 11 Mar 12:

Broke the thread apart into sections;

Flashlight Lingo/Acronyms
Battery Chemistries
Internet Lingo/Acronyms (English)

Hope this will help navigate it better!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, having read the "Annoying Acronyms" Thread in The Cafe, I came across this:

On another note, I'm trying to find a list of acronyms used here. I keep running across ones I don't know.

So, here's a start:

Flashlight Lingo/Acronyms:

Alkie/s =
Refers to Alakline batteries; refers to the chemical compound of said batteries; the most common battery composition in the world; known for their commonality and availability; prone to leakage; weighs more than lithium and has less temperature tolerance. Also has a much shorter shelf life (~3 years), as opposed to the 10-15 years shelf life found in Lithium Batteries

AOW = Angel of War; One of the coolest guys on CPF; Known SF addict, cheeky at times; Also refers to St. Micheal in the book of Revelations, i.e. the Arch-Angel of War

CB = A designator found at the end of Surefire models, indicating a "Crenulated Bezel" (see "SB = Strike Bezel")

CCT = Correlated Color Temperature

CPF = Candle Power Forums

CPFMP = Candle Power Forum Marketplace (Also referred to as MP)

CRI = Color Rendering Index

CS = Customer Service OR Custom, as in a custom light

C/W = Complied With

Drop-In = Refers to a light assembly that "drops-in"; this is opposed to the common PR-Flanged/screw type bulbs most of us are used to growing up. This too was made popular by both Surefire and Pelican by having the lamp and reflector housed in the same unit, so when you swap bulbs, you"drop-in" the new one; Sample Include Malkoff, Nail-Bender, P60 Style L.A.'s, Deree Light, etc.

"Duraloop" =
Refers to white top Duracell RC's, which are basically re-branded Eneloops

EDC = Every Day Carry

HA = Hard Anodized; This refers to Type-III (Mil-Spec) anodizing

HOLA = High Output Lamp Assy. (See LOLA below)

Host = Primarily refers to a flashlight body designed to house another light fixture/filament other than the original. This was made mainstream by Surefire presenting the "P60" style of lamp assemblies, where the reflector and emitter are in the same unit.

IR = Infra-Red (The "low/red-yellow" end of the light spectrum); Hot objects emit "infra-red light" by the heat they emit.

JB = Jetbeam; A prominent Chinese Flashlight Mfg.

KT = Kit, Turbo-head; refers to "Surefire Turbo-heads"; The "Kits" actually refer to the actual head/bezel, with adapter and lamp; i.e. the KT1/KT2 are essentially the same Turbo-Heads, with just different lamps.

L91 = Refers to "AA" sized Lithium Batteries (more specifically, Energizer brand, the most widely {only?} available lithium AA's)

L.A./LA = Lamp Assembly; Refers to an self contained lamp (bulb) with springs (i.e. MNXX) or with a reflector as well (i.e. PXX/P60/61/90/91); This is as opposed to a regluar PR flanged/screw based bulb.

LED/L.E.D. = Light Emitting Diode; An energy efficient lighting method where power is applied to a "powdered diode", producing light; The future of modern lighting; First "practical" commercial LED flashlight was the Inova X5, from Emmissive Energy Corp., circa 2001

LOLA = Low Out-Put Lamp Assembly; Came to be out of the fact that Surefire lights usually had two lamp assemblies that could be used in each incandescent light; A low output lamp and a high out put light; i.e. The P60=6 volt 65 lumen L.A.; P61= 6 volt 120 lumen L.A.

LOP = Light/Low Orange Peel

LSD = Low Self Discharge; Refers to a batteries ability to retain it's charge while not in-use. For example, a cell with excellent LSD will maintain 90-95% of it's voltage over a 6 month period, while a crappy one may only last a matter of weeks or days. The premier and favored LSD Cell is the Eneloop from Sanyo (also easily available in the U.S. as Duracell white-tops/"Duraloops")

LSD = Lightning Speed Discharge

Lumen = The amount of Luminous Flux; Am measurement of of "visible light" at the emitter/light source

Lux = Light Measurement; "Lumenous Out-Put"; Also refers to "Luxeon" LED Emitters, i.e. Lux-3/Lux-III

Lux-III/3/V/5
= Refers to Emitters manufactured by the Luxeon LED Company. III/3 or V/5 refers to the wattage.

mAh = MilliAmp Hours; This is a term of "Capacity" in a battery; a battery with say, a capacity of 2500mAh, with a lamp the draws 2 amps (1amp=1000mA) will last ~1.5 hours.

mA = MilliAmp (See above)

Mag/M@g = Mag-lite; A prominent US based/Mfg'ed Flashlight company; probably the most widely known light in the world.

MP = See "CPFMP"

MOP = Medium Orange Peel

NV = Night Vision

NVD=
Night Vision Devices

NVG = Night Vision Green/Night Vision Goggles

OP = Orange Peel/Original Post/Original poster; Refers to "orange peel" reflectors as opposed to SMO (smooth); refers to the texture of the reflector; Orange Peel texturing helps remove defects in the beam, usually at the loss of a little throw.

OTF = Out The Front, as in "Out The Front Lumens (refers to how much light makes it out the front of the light; can be effected by emitter positioning, reflector, and lens). Example: An LED/Emitter may put out 500 lumens, but if you use a smoky lens, only 450 lumens make it out the light.

PK = Paul Kim; The lead engineer at Surefire flashlights; Known by some as the "Father of the Modern (tactical) flashlight"; Owns 50+ flashlight patents; Designed most Surefire flashlights, from their function to their design. Also owner/Designer of the "Icon" brand of Flashlights

PWM = Pulse-Width Modulation; Refers to an out-put "setting" in which the LED flickers on-off extremely fast (nano-seconds) to save power, while having the appearance of being "constantly on". Leads to flickering when batteries are running low.

R = Usually found at the end of Surefire light models, indicating that that model is a rechargeable model

RC/RCR = Refers to a Rechargeable battery

ROP = Roar of the Pelican; refers to a high powered, user mod involving a Mag-lite body and a Pelican Lamp Assy.

RT = Run Time (how long a light will run for

SB = Strike Bezel; A bezel/Head with sharp, crenulated teeth, for an added self defense method.

SCDS = Sudden Cell Death Syndrome; simply refers to (usually low quality) cells (batteries) simply draining for no explained reason.

Size-15 = More passionately known as "Al", it refers to his...ummm...shoe size??? A cheeky Surefire Know it all from "the motherland", who WILL correct you if you mis-refer to HA anodizing as type two, or, even worse, as the KT4 as a "Turbo-head".

SL = Streamlight; A prominent based US based/China Mfg.'ed flashlight Mfg.; Widely known/used in US LEO/Fire Fighter circles

SF = Surefire; A prominent US based flaslight Mfg. known for their "Lego-abilty" (modular), and the prominent Weaponlight Mfg. for the U.S. Military, along with Insight Technology

SMO = Smooth Reflector

SS = Stainless Steel

SSC = Seoul Semi-Conductor; Emitter

SWM = Sunwayman; A prominent Chinese Flashlight Mfg; Also refers to Short Wave Modulation, in ref. to radio signals

Ti/TI
= Pronounced "Tie"; Refers to lights/accessories made from the metal Titanium

UV = Ultra Violet; The "High/Blue-Purple" end of the light spectrum; Has radioactive properties, useful for disinfecting, curing special compounds, and tracking non-visible traces of fluids, etc.

Wench = On CPF, refers to Greta, the vigliant and respected owner/operator of CPF and affiliated sites.

ZL = Zebra Light; A prominent China based light Mfg. that specializes in headlamp style lights
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battery Chemistry:

IMR = lithium Ion Manganese Rechargeable
ICR = lithium Ion Cobalt Rechargeable
IFR = lithium Ion Ferrous Rechargeable
LIon =Lithium Ion
NiCad
= Nickel Cadium
NiMH = Nickel Metal Hydride

Internet Acronyms (English
)

AFAIK = As Far As I Know

BTW = By The Way

FYI = For Your Information

GTG = Good To Go

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

LOL = Laughing out loud

OTOH = On The Other Hand

OP = Refers to original post/poster in regards to a thread

PITA = Pain In The Arse/A**

PP = Paypal

SPF = Sold, Pending Funds

WTB/WTT/WTS = Want to Buy/Trade/Sell, respectively.

WTH = What The Hell? (as in dis-belief/awe)

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary (Your Meters May Vary); i.e. You're experience may be different (than presented example/opinion).

OTHER (Along with lights comes a certain leaning towards "Readiness", so I will include a few other useful acronyms):

C.B. = Civilian Band; A radio frequency range dedicated (in the U.S.) for civilian use. Mostly used now by Truckers. 40 Channels. Channel 9 is emergency (still monitored by several LE, etc. agencies) and 19 is "Information", and is the "Truckers" channel.

FRS = Family Radio Service; Frequency range set aside for civilian use; channels are limited to 2 watts.

GMRS = Global Monitored Radio Service; extends past the frequency of FRS, but channels are more powerful (5-Watt), and requires a liscence

GPS = Global Positioning System; developed primarily for the U.S. military, but has found to be popular with civilian applications; a system of satellites controlled by the USAF Space Command that emit signals to help aircraft/vehicles/personnel (through hand-held units) triangulate their position; having "access" to more satellites increases accuracy.

LNS = Land-based Navigation System; the global positioning system used prior to GPS; still in use by many ships/boats; now serves as a back-up to GPS in the event of failure. Consists of several land based "radars" that help boats/AC triangulate there coordinates base off received radio signals.

SW = Short-Wave; World Wide frequency used all over; powerful signals and the fact that the frequency range is not used in any other applications, allows people world wide to pick of short wave radio signals; effect by the magnetic field surrounding the earth, so signal reception varies by solar/lunar activity (which effects the magnetic field). You may only be able to pick up a Chinese broadcast form 4pm to 8pm, for example. The BBC is the largest organization to still make use if this.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPF Acronyms (NEWBS, Look Here!)

what's a NEWBS?

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, having read the "Annoying Acronyms" Thread in the _____, I came across this:

So, here's a start:

mAh = Mili-Amp Hours; This is a term of "Capacity" in a battery; a battery with say, a capacity of 2500mAh, with a lamp the draws 2 amps (1amp=1000mA) will last ~1.5 hours.

mA = Mili-Amp (See above)

What did I miss???

Some useful translations there, but I was wondering what a Mili-Amp was. I've never come across this before. Is it related to the milliamp (1000th of an Amp)?

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Some useful translations there, but I was wondering what a Mili-Amp was. I've never come across this before. Is it related to the milliamp (1000th of an Amp)?

LOL!!! Thanks Sub...I was typing this with my 4 year old in my ear...I knew I misspelt it...

archimedes

Flashaholic
CRI = Color Rendering Index

CCT = Correlated Color Temperature

UV = UltraViolet

IR = InfraRed

NV = Night Vision

PWM = Pulse-Width Modulation

ROP = Roar Of the Pelican

LOP = Light Orange Peel

SMO = SMOoth reflector

SSC = Seoul SemiConductor

IMR = lithium Ion Manganese Rechargeable

ICR = lithium Ion Cobalt Rechargeable

IFR = lithium Ion Ferrous Rechargeable

JB = JetBeam

SWM = SunWayMan

ZL = ZebraLight

... and ...

AoW

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks ya'll...I'll get these added in a few. I thought of EDC like 20 times, but when I hit "submit", I completely blanked!

AoW...LOL! That's been used plenty of times!!!

Last edited:

AlPal

Newly Enlightened

Great list. I learned a couple of new ones. The only one I can add is BTW, for By the way.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPF Acronyms (NEWBS/NOOBS, Look Here!)

CCT - Correlated Color Temperature. Often confused with CRI.

sassaquin

Enlightened

CW - cool white
NW - neutral white
WW - warm white
SPF - sold pending funds
PM - private message
OTF - out the front
HID - high-intensity discharge (lamp)

Last edited:

BIGLOU

Enlightened

TC-tailcap
PK-Paul Kim Surefire Genius
EG-Dan "ElectronGuru" Patnode
OR-Oveready
NB-Dave "Nailbender" Lemert
ET-Eagletac
LA-light assembly
LEO-Law Enforcement Officer
LF-Lumens Factory
BTT-Back to top
MD-Malkoff Devices
FM-FiveMega
WF-139-Ultrafire Charger

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened

Great list, thanks.

OCD - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Isn't totally irrelevant for flashaholics... :)