• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

SOLD: Mokuti Block Party 18650 Flashlight

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, this has been sold.

Mokuti Block Party, a bi-Ti 18650 flashlight

There is a WIP thread here, that shows a lot about how the light was built, along with the issues confronted during the build.

Mokuti is made by Chad Nichols and is composed of the 6AL4V alloy and some CP, or commerically pure, Ti. When anodized, either by heating the Ti with a flame, or by electrolytic solution, the different alloys take on distinctly different colors. Combine that with a twist pattern and the Mokuit, when anodized is gorgeous.

Here are some photos:

MokutiBlockPartyFinal-1.jpg

The Mokuti is in the middle. :) On the left is a modified Titanium RCR123 light and on the right is a Chad Nichols Stainless Steel Damascus 18650 light. The reason the Block Party, which is also powered by the AW 18650 battery, is that the LED is a Cree XM-L driven at 2.8A, so I made the heatsink much larger than normal to avoid overheating. Titanium is not the best heat dissipating material known. :)

MokutiBlockPartyFinal-3.jpg

The light has three levels of output from low to high, with memory so that it starts up on the last level that was on for two seconds duration.

MokutiBlockPartyFinal-4.jpg

The business end of the light has a 2mm thick mineral glass lens and a stippled reflector, to smooth out the transition from hot spot to spill.

MokutiBlockPartyFinal-5.jpg

The tail end of the Block Party has two grooves to help reveal the beautiful pattern of the Mokuti.

MokutiBlockPartyFinal-6.jpg

While the primary colors on the Block Party are blue with green lines, there is some purple interference color that is visible from certain viewing angles.

MokutiBlockPartyFinal-7.jpg

Close-up to show the pattern a bit more.

Specifications:

• Mokuti, a bi-Ti metal forged by Chad Nichols
  • Solution anodized
  • Cree XM-L U2 LED mounted on a 2mm thick MCPCB
  • Three-level driver delivers a maimum of 2.8A to the LED; memory mode
  • Lumen output estimated at 500 lumens
  • O-ring sealed
  • 2mm thick mineral glass lens
  • Stippled Khatod 20mm reflector
  • Twist operation
  • Silicone gasket prevents battery rattle when the light is off
Price: $1200.00, plus shipping and insurance as you select.

First to post an, "I'll take it," and send payment via PP, gets it.

Payment through PayPal to: [email protected], please.

The Mokuti Block Party will also be listed on CandlePower forums, so the first to send payment via PayPal will own the light. I will refund any other payments immediately.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
This one's MINE!!!

Hey Fred,

Just confirming what I wrote a few mins ago on CKG...

:takeit:

PM with Paypal info already sent :twothumbs

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: This one's MINE!!!

That is really just a beautiful piece. I wonder if 500 lumens at 2.8A is a bit of a low estimate. I'd bet it's way low.

Fred, you are really a master. I am not sure if I will buy hosts from anyone else ever again. You don't have any more of this material lying around...do you?

Does the pattern show up when also just polished? Just curious. I have no experience with anodized Ti, but have always avoided it for fear of it's wear and tear being hard to fix.

Indeed, a great snag. This is a modern functional art masterpiece of the highest order...as are nearly all Fred's lights. This particular material in Fred's hands is obviously just magic. I also really love what he did with that Blue Boy.

obi

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is really just a beautiful piece. I wonder if 500 lumens at 2.8A is a bit of a low estimate. I'd bet it's way low.

Fred, you are really a master. I am not sure if I will buy hosts from anyone else ever again. You don't have any more of this material lying around...do you?

Does the pattern show up when also just polished? Just curious. I have no experience with anodized Ti, but have always avoided it for fear of it's wear and tear being hard to fix.

Indeed, a great snag. This is a modern functional art masterpiece of the highest order...as are nearly all Fred's lights. This particular material in Fred's hands is obviously just magic. I also really love what he did with that Blue Boy.

obi

obi,

The driver is supposed to deliver 2.8A, but I'm not 100% convinced that it does, and without a sphere I have no way of determining the actual output--so it is a conservative estimate.

Yes, I do have some more Mokuti sitting on my bench--and I think it is going to be even more gorgeous, as Chad made the layers a bit thicker and didn't twist the bar quite as much either.

The pattern is visible even when not anodized, but it isn't anything to get too excited about:

BlockPartyFinalPolish-2.jpg

I am in agreement with you on trying to protect anodized Ti, and I usually would do so only in grooves, dimples, etc, but this was a special piece and I'm pretty sure it will be a shelf queen. Although re-anodizing it in the future would be no problem.

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened

nice grabb
...Indeed, a great snag. This is a modern functional art masterpiece of the highest order...as are nearly all Fred's lights...
Thanks guys, it's my first from Fred but I'm sure you'll agree, it's a great way to kick off my Photon Fanatic collection :devil:

Wow. That's some fancy metal. :eek:oo:
Yes, yes it is! As far as I know, it's also the first time it's been used to create a flashlight (and it figures Fred would be the one to do it :thumbsup:)! I'm into folders and in the cutlery world, it's been in use for some time. As a matter of fact, here's my first personal encounter with Mokuti, c/o Allen Elishewitz :cool:

click-the-pic for hi-res goodness

...usually would do so only in grooves, dimples, etc, but this was a special piece and I'm pretty sure it will be a shelf queen. Although re-anodizing it in the future would be no problem.
Hmm... well I consider this "functional art work" more than a tool, certainly, but you can bet that it's going to be tagging along with me for a while... :naughty: On the other hand, it's going to be carried in a dedicated pocket - far, far away from the coins and keys, lol!

Fred, you've a good point, there! For anyone wanting a Mokuti "EDC", doing just the grooves would make for a very cool two-tone look and at the same time, make it more "user" -friendly :thumbsup:

Last edited:

gollum

Enlightened

wow I missed this until now

as Obijuan says so well

" This is a modern functional art masterpiece of the highest order..."

I had heard of timascus before but not this Mokuti

that is also a very nice knife Trave11er.. so a nice matching combo you have