"Exotic" coating questions

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hope this is OK for me to open up a new thread and post here ....

I know you do machining and fabrication, but was wondering if you have access to custom coating services?

In the past, modamag (& others) have had runs of TiN, TiCN, AlTiN, DLC, and such - is this something you can arrange, or any suggestions for where to look?

I realize that one-offs are likely cost-prohibitive, so if someone on the forums was involved in organizing periodic coating runs, that might make things more affordable.

I know that there are lots of resources for Cerakoting now, but the more exotic coatings seem much harder to arrange. Plating, too (such as nickel, chrome, or gold), might also be of interest to a lot of members here.

Myself, I would really like a couple of Peaks in DLC ... :devil:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested in seeing pictures of some lights with these coatings on them as well. Obviously not up to Barry to do this, but if I, or another member finds any, then hopefully we can get them posted somewhere for oogling!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Hope this is OK for me to open up a new thread and post here ....
Certainly. If a topic is related to machining, mechanical mods, surface treatments, etc., it is welcome here.

I know you do machining and fabrication, but was wondering if you have access to custom coating services?

In the past, modamag (& others) have had runs of TiN, TiCN, AlTiN, DLC, and such - is this something you can arrange, or any suggestions for where to look?

I realize that one-offs are likely cost-prohibitive, so if someone on the forums was involved in organizing periodic coating runs, that might make things more affordable.

I know that there are lots of resources for Cerakoting now, but the more exotic coatings seem much harder to arrange. Plating, too (such as nickel, chrome, or gold), might also be of interest to a lot of members here.

Myself, I would really like a couple of Peaks in DLC ... :devil:

My experience with coating companies has been less than positive. That's not to say that all are bad, only the few I've tried to work with. Two week turnaround becomes two months, pricing that was quoted is not adhered to, etc. I'd love to find a reliable coater who simply did what they said.

Anyone who's had a good experience is encouraged to post the details in the thread.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any updates on a reliable coater/plater? I'm looking to have my Surefire C2 tailcap threads (bare aluminum) coated with nickel or some other wear-protective surface.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I somehow missed this thread before, but yeah if PW had a place to coat our stuff in the process, I'd love to see what's possible!

If theyre good by Barry's standards then they'll be more than good enough for me :)

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I'm still at a loss to find one or two good coaters. To me the best option is for one of you guys/girls to purchase the Birchwood Technologies Mini LumaClad line & do this as a side business.
High quality blackening of aluminum parts in just 30 minutes! The ideal low-cost system for testing or small scale production.

The LUMICLAD® system utilizes only one heated tank and is easy to set up and operate.

The BK-LC Mini Kit contains seven tanks, covers, quartz immersion heater, plus generous quantities of all the chemical products needed to operate a 5-gallon blackening system.

Shipped by FedEx Ground with complete operating instructions.

NOT FOR SALE IN CALIFORNIA
$888.00 Complete.​

If the charge for blackening an aluminum light was $40 it would take less than 25 to pay for the system. https://www.birchwoodtechnologies.com/metal/lumiclad.html

DragonHead

Enlightened
I will be talking to my friend this week about coatings. I will be taking some raw bodies to him for samples.
will pass on my findings.