Best "Main" light for a Home Inspector?

FrankD

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. This is my first post. I have spent some time reading here and am amazed at the amount of knowledge here about flashlights.

Anyway, I need to buy a good flashlight for daily use inspecting homes. I do about two inspections a day, so I need it to work well for at least two hours a day.

I am currently using a Fenix TK40. I like the length, but I wish it were skinner around the part you hold. My hands are small and this light is harder to stick in my back pocket. I wish it were more like the size of a "C" cell battery.

I like it to be;

1) Bright- like this Fenix.

2) Skinnier

3) Rechargeable

4) A good quality bulb like this Fenix.

5) Perhaps the ability to charge from both a car or household 110 current.

I'd also like to buy a smaller "2 x AA" size, but I'll need a bigger flashlight for my "Main" light. I also currently use a Streamlight headlight, an ARGO 61302 HP LED lamp for attics and crawlspaces and electrical panel boxes.

I know I'll need to spend around $100 or more for a good light. I have no problem with that. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Frank D.

LGT

Enlightened
A ZebraLight SC600 might fit your needs. Small enough to slip into the back pocket, about seven different brightness settings. But it only runs on 18650 rechargeable batteries which will require an additional investment for batteries, a charger, and a multimeter to check voltage of batteries. That could be about 70 to 100 dollars. Not to mention a lot of reading on how to properly use 18650's.

FrankD

Newly Enlightened
Thank you LGT!

I looked at that one just now, but it seems to be a bit small. I do not want to sound picky, but when I do inspections I seem to put the flashlight in and out of my back pocket a lot, so it would need to stick out of the back pocket some.....the zebralight being only 4.2 inches long would I think be too small.

The streamlight ultrastinger might be more of the size, but I read that the batteries do not last long enough. The Pelican 8060 might work.....I also hear mixed reviews on the much cheaper Dorcy Cree XRE, but the problem there is the memory of the batteries....I want to just recharge it at the end of the day without worrying about memory.

I just need to decide and buy.....

Thanks!! Frank D.

somnambulated

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a Fenix PD20 and TK11 followed by a TK12 for similar work. As far as being rechargeable, Ultrafire makes charging systems that cost around $20, and the recharchable 123's cost about $7 ea.

The TK40's battery tube is huge, have you checked out the TK30? Similar reflector and size but a much smaller battery tube. I have a TK45 (same battery tube as yours, 3 emitters) but never use it. It's just too bulky and impractical to carry for most jobs.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Depending on the type of inspections you do, there are some choices that would make sense, but you get a lot more brightness and run time if you also get rechargeable lithium ion batteries......and the 18650 is the most popular choice for most of the sized lights you'd want.

For example, the TK40 is about 8" long, and puts out ~ 600 or so lumens on ~ 8 primaries...which makes you buy 8 new batteries every time you drain it...a repeating cost.

The above mentioned ZebraLight SC600 is only about 4" long, but puts out ~ 750 lumens on ONE 18650 battery...and you can recharge it instead of buying new ones every time. I'd get a few and rotate them, so you always have freshies ready to go.

Another very useful inspection light, with more throw/range than the very floody SC600, is the <6" long Klarus XT11, which also runs on a single 18650 cell...and has a simple tail cap button for on/off...always comes on in HIGH from off....which I prefer. A smaller recessed button next to the main button changes brightness, 10 lumen low, 150 lumen medium and 600 - 750 lumen high depending on cells chosen (It can use 2 Rechargeable 123's OR one 18650, a "Dual Fuel" option.)

6789346246_56688454cb_z.jpg

XT11 - This is a zoomed in shot of a crawlspace under a large apartment building - that far wall in the shot is a few hundred feet from the light...and the XT11 reached it with enough light to see what was going on over there, AND lit the place up in general as if they had a light switch under there.

Hope that helps!

:wave:

FrankD

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all so far! My problem is that with almost everything I research things too much, get overwhelmed, then discouraged. Some of the reviews I've read just boggle my mind.

I appreciate everything posted so far. The TK30 seems great, but because I do not (yet) have a good understanding of these different batteries I'm starting to think I just might at least for now go back to buying the Fenix TK-41. I know it is thick and heavy, but maybe just buying some eneloops, a charger and the light will be the easier choice without the learning curve. I've spent hours looking and reading and just do not know...

Thanks! Frank D.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, it can be really overwhelming. My advice is to stop, take a breath, and take your time. You aren't in any rush to make a decision, so you can weigh the options people suggest.

For the AA light: the Fenix E21 is a good choice. For a budget, I was pleasantly surprised by the Rayovac $15 "Indestructible" model, available from Home Depot.

For the bigger light, you can help narrow down what lights will work for you and what won't by describing in detail your planned use. How far away do you need to "light something up?" Do you need something that has a good throw (light at a distance) or spill (lighting a wide area up close)?

For batteries: you can get rechargeable CR123s from Link removed. See red banner at top of page with home and car options.

For a flashlight, you have a couple of options: if you really want 400+ lumens, look at a Surefire 9P host, available for $50 or so, and a Malkoff M91. You get about an hour and a half runtime..

You can get 260ish lumens from a Malkoff M61 with a 2.5 hour runtime. You can use a Solarforce L2 host, available for $20ish or stick it in the Surefire 9P host for extra runtime.

Personally, I don't care for the idea of a light running on 8xAA primaries, but that's just a personal dislike.

Remember, no pressure!

-Trevor

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankD

Newly Enlightened
I THINK I might go with either the Fenix tk41, or the Streamlight DS LED........but I think the tk41 is much brighter, according to the specs. The bulbs seem different, and even the ultra-stinger seems less bright then the Fenix tk41. I know it is heavier and thinker then I wanted.....

Thanks......we'll see. Time for bed....

Frank D.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
My home inspector lug around a 2D mag, I blow his away with my Mag 1C XML,

I think a 3-mode Mag 1C XML is an ideal home inspection tool.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Good suggestions here, but I will just add this.

Look for a light that has a more natural white color than the cool tint. When looking underneath a home or in the attic at wires, or under the hood of a car (or underneath it) where there are small things that has specific colors, the natural white gives your eyes an exact color reading without having to make any adjustments and think about it.

An example being, I have a Surefire G2 with a P61 bulb in it, and it's really cool white looking compared to my Fenix E21, which is about the same brightness but a little more natural white looking. If I'm looking at some green & blue wires at a distance, especially if there's a small yellow or white stripe on that wire, it's actually a bit harder to make them out with the cool white light and it takes my brain a minute to figure out which wire color is which. Sometimes the green will look blue to me. With the natural white light, the colors are more easily distinguishable for me.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
A TK41 has insane throw, do you really need a lot of throw for your inspections? If you are gonna be inside a lot?
I think I'm safe saying that any "major" brand 2AA light will make you happy. Just look for one with an R4/R5 led.
Fenix, quark, eagletac, jetbeam, romisen, it's all good.

Don't knock the tiny lights, I've just become hooked on 'em.

A single AAA pen-light with a clip can be hooked to your collar, or shirt pocket. If it's over 90 lumens you'll be pleasantly surprised.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A TK41 has insane throw, do you really need a lot of throw for your inspections? If you are gonna be inside a lot?
I think I'm safe saying that any "major" brand 2AA light will make you happy. Just look for one with an R4/R5 led.
Fenix, quark, eagletac, jetbeam, romisen, it's all good.

Don't knock the tiny lights, I've just become hooked on 'em.

A single AAA pen-light with a clip can be hooked to your collar, or shirt pocket. If it's over 90 lumens you'll be pleasantly surprised.

That's too little for home inspection...unless you're just in a place with no attic or crawlspace, etc, nothing commercial or Mc Mansion sized, etc.......and just need to read a sticker on a panel, etc.

To see if there's a termite tunnel up a wall 200' down a long dark crawlspace, etc...you need more juice than that to make out the details you need to be able to see.

:D

Hence the recommendation for a Klarus XT11, etc.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
well if that's the case, and you really need throw, grab the TK41, it has 45000ish lux, which is about twice the TK40 (20,800), so... It will throw twice as far?

Twice? I dunno if it works that way, but it's twice as bright.. I think that should be about 50% further to your eyes....

Anywho.. 45k lux is insane the Klarus XT11 is 8800 lux.. less than half of your TK40, but better than any 2AA... the EagleTac P20A2 has the highest lux on 2aa (7500)

Edit: Oh yeah, if you aren't in too much of a rush, the Fenix LD50 should be out before too long, I read that it's about a month away.

If it uses a tir lens, and it looks like it does, it will be the brightest spot-to-flood light on the market.

I can't wait to buy one.

Last edited:

palmettoinspect

Newly Enlightened
I'm a home inspector and I use an Olight M21x. It's just awesome for what we do. It has three settings with a simple turn of the head:
high (crawlspace, attic, high ceilings etc)
medium (almost as bright as high pretty much keep it on this setting)
low (good to read labels not blinding)

It's very durable. I've dropped it and beat it a few times and still functions great. While it is a small light it has a lanyard, belt clip and holster so plenty of option to carry. I use to carry my 2d in my back pocket unitl this light which I clip to my belt and use the lanyard. The lanyard is great for attics cause you just hang it from your neck on high and you have both hands free to navigate through the attic.

I bought the Pila charger and 2 aw 2900 18650 batteries that will last about two three hour inspections before they start to dim and I just cycle them through the charger. Never had one completly fail on me yet.

So after all this and really liking the olight I decided it will end up mounted on my AR rifle since its so relaible and the AR is my home defense weapon. I just bought a zebralight sc600 since it has such good reviews. I also like where the switch is located and all the option for modes. I will try it out on the inspections and may switch back to the Olight.

P.s. I know about ten other inspectors that have a olight m series.
Kiel

palmettoinspect

Newly Enlightened
Take it out to the range and try it out before you commit it to your rifle.

Bill

Bill,
I plan to try it out before I commit and I am kinda worried about the size of the light used for a weapon light. I bought the pressure switch that will mount to my forgrip and olight brand weapon mount. I like the fact that it's REALLY bright and will blind on intruder or can switch to low to navigate through the woods on hunts. Do you have any experiance with the olgiht as a weapon light?

Hope in my thread jacking!

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
I also have a TK41, and like somebody else mentioned it has an insane amount of throw. That said, it also doesn't have that much spill when you're in a closer environment.

I was just testing this last night in my living room (against my new V10R and 10440 powered LD01 & ITP A3), which is approx 400 sq/ft with 24' ceilings. I was testing how intense the lights were and how much spill they had. The TK41 was very intense in the hot spot area, but had a very light spill compared to the other lights and the TK41 was overkill for that small area. IMO, if you need to light up a specific area during you inspection, then the TK41 is great. If you need to really light up the entire area with a light that doesn't have a blinding hot spot in a confined area, then I don't think the TK41 fits this bill... not unless you can get some type of lens cover to disperse the light (like what ZL offers with the SC600).

chewy78

Enlightened
maybe a light that takes 2 18650 protected lithium ion cell batteries, and a p60 type module. Its skinny to stick in your pocket, long enough to easily grab out of your pocket, and depending upon your choice, a good led or incan drop in, very bright. I have a solarforce l2x with 2 18650 cells, and surefire 9 volt p90 lamp module (it puts out good white light). It works nice for inspecting/repairing big farm machinery , lights up a room really good and also fits in my back pocket. I also have a fenix tk41 but that's better suited for the outdoors with more throw.

Last edited: