TAIN TITANIUM HYPERLUX - based on a design byTNC

easilyled

Flashaholic
Chris of TnC_Products very graciously consented to a limited run of Titanium lights being produced by CPF'er Tain.
This run was a tribute to Chris's famous Hyperlux line of lights which in my opinion are amongst the most beautiful lights ever designed.

I was culpable of egging Tain into this by pleading with him to make one of these for me when I first saw a picture of his personal 2-piece Hyperlux tribute light in the "Show your lights with Trits Thread"

Luckily for me and a few others, Tain consented to this. The result is a small run of 2-piece and 3-piece Hyperluxes that are very faithful to Chris's design. The 2-piece version has slightly more fins and both versions have Titanium push-button switches with six tritium vials arranged hexagonally. The knurling for the 2-piece lights is raised. A decision was taken for the 3-piece Hyperluxes to have flush knurling (which is very difficult to execute)

For my personal 3-piece lights I requested the smooth areas to be slightly trimmed where they bordered the knurling for a "cleaner" look (rather than the more merged appearance of true flush-knurling) hence technically the knurling in my 3-piece lights counts as "slightly" raised.

Tain handled everything like a pro with excellent communication and frequent updates with tantalising pictures. His photographic skills are formidable and do justice to the excellence of the machining which turned out flawless with tight tolerances and exquisite knurling.

I will let my (amateurish) pictures attempt to do the talking ....

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0174_knurl.jpg

DSC_0144_knurl_close.jpg

DSC_0149.jpg

DSC_0151.jpg

Last edited:

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those have got to be hands down the most handsome Ti lights I have ever seen....
I'm surrounded by precision machined parts all day and that my friends is absolutely beautiful lathe work.
The knurling appears flawless!

I am not worthy!!! :bow::bow:

R-

dlmorgan999

Flashlight Enthusiast
As someone who currently owns two TnC lights and is about to own two more, I must say that those lights are really beautiful! I sure wish Tain would do another batch. I'd be in for one (or more) for sure!! The switch really adds a nice touch. :)

Last edited:

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!! The one on the left in the first pic. That is probably the best looking titanium flashlight next to the 007.

What type of light engines are in them?

easilyled

Flashaholic
As someone who currently owns two TnC lights and is about to own two more, I must say that those lights are really beautiful! I sure wish Tain would do another batch. I'd be in for one (or more) for sure!! The switch really adds a nice touch. :)

Out of respect to Chris, no more batches of these will be produced by Tain. Chris may well revisit these lights himself at a later stage and we have to be thankful for his generosity in allowing this limited run.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!!!! The one on the left in the first pic. That is probably the best looking titanium flashlight next to the 007.

What type of light engines are in them?

The L.Es are very beefy screw-in brass canisters (for maximum heat-sinking).

Drivers:-
4-level constant current, 2500mA max OR 3-mode Low-Med-High, 2800mA max OR 5-mode Low-Med-High-Strobe-SOS, 2800mA (all with memory).

Emitters:-
Cree XML, T6-0A(8000K), T6-3C(5000K) or T5 - 5A3(4500K)

mohanjude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice lights - these look like the 'Rolls-Royce' of lights - the type of lights you can you only dream off.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a lucky owner of 2 the Hyperluxes, a 2pcs and a 3pcs. Indeed, they are perfectly machined and combined with the nice design they surely are the current crowns of my collection...

While the 2pcs was the first one made, I begin with the 3pcs, where I chose the combat grip, but also ordered a normal grip to be able to change, unfortunately I couldn't afford a second light (to be honest, I couldn't afford any of them...). A crenelated bezel is a must for a combat grip.

2GXZe.jpg

The tail is the best part of this light, the builder changed the original design to accomodate the electronic 6-trit switch and the result is a real highlight!

nF7ae.jpg

The knurling on both light is different and there are indeed 3 sorts of knurling : Raised, slightly raised and flat. My 3pcs has been given the slightly raised knurling, the best compromise in my eyes, I don't really like the look of flat knurling after all...

2vUDR.jpg

The light engine is a 3-mode with 2,8A powering an XM-L, a neutral white T6-3C in my lights. There are 2 sorts of reflectors, for flood and for throw (easily changeable), I installed the flood one here, best to take pictures for sure! Around the emitter there's some glowing powder and I just realize I should have switched the light on for a moment before taking the picture.

8d5XP.jpg

Here's my 2pcs light, featuring raised knurling, a standard tail and a smooth bezel.

swr9u.jpg

Here you see the raised knurling, machined as perfectly as the slightly raised knurling on the 3pcs light, but with a different look on the edges.

Gcqcd.jpg

While the working ends of these lights are very bright with their XM-L engines, the tails just glow constantly, thanks to a 6 trit-design. The colors could be chosen and that's quite difficult, I chose a more or less quiet (but colored) design for the 2pcs and a more vibrant design for the 3pcs. Maybe those switches look even best with only 2 colors (a brighter one for the lower layer and a dimmer one for the upper layer) or even a single color, there are endless possible combinations...

NCX0R.jpg

Many thanks to TNC for giving the permission, to all people who were part of the project and making it possible, to Tain for the excellent management (also of all our special wishes and changements...) and of course to the builder, whose excellent skills brought these jbright ewels out of some massive titanium rods! :wave:

I felt honored to be included in this very special custom build. My Tain Hyperlux arrived today, about a week after the others received theirs, as I was holding out for a back-ordered blue trit tube for the six-tube tailswitch. Glad I did, as I got a special surprise: a one-of-a-kind proto switch whose hex-shaped core is bored and polished, with a 2x6mm trit installed in the center. The angled surface of the bored/polished core reflects the light of the center (and seventh) tritium, which provides the circular glow pattern. Really an ingenious design. This is such a great light - so flawless, so perfect. The knurling is second-to-none - it's truly amazing. I, too, opted for the slightly raised knurling - seems a more finished look. Very, very happy with this beauty.

TainHyperlux001.jpg

TainHyperlux004.jpg

Pardon the dust (and the center is perfectly symmetrical - just a bad camera angle):
TainHyperlux002.jpg

TainHyperlux008.jpg

TainHyperlux007.jpg

Last edited:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
The seventh trit sounds similar in principle to JHanko's 3D in miniature.

The lights themselves are too big for my taste, but the build quality and in particular the knurling looks perfect.

obi

RPM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Troy... If that light ever wants to visit So Cal, it's more than welcome to come and stay as long as it wants!
uh, you can come too if you want. Sushi included.

R-

Midnight Run

Enlightened
It has all been said by all the lucky owners of these beauties but... Wow!!!
These puppies are purrrfection in titanium!
I feel privileged to own two 2 pc. and one 3 pc. combat grip Hyperluxes from heaven.
Thanks to Tain for the AWESOME lead and weekly updates.
And thanks to Chris Ogaz for being a genius flashlight designer ;).

trio110.jpg

trio210.jpg

trio310.jpg

trio410.jpg

mr.snakeman

Enlightened
I´m also a member of this exclusive club wth a two piece and a three piece now in my possession. I can only agree with what everyone else has said: magnificant workmanship and execution. These two lights are truly the cream of my Ti lights collection!

Last edited: