DEFT-edc Enthusiast 86Kcd!!!

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

The DEFT-edc Enthusiast

684c1f94.jpg

The DEFT edc Enthusiast is the last in a distinguished line of hyper performance pocket spotlights. The Enthusiast is the ultimate expression of performance and takes what was already world class performance to the bleeding edge of current technology.

This light is years ahead of anything else on the market. It boasts the highest specific power of any LED light of any kind in the world today be that portable or fixed. So as to not mislead we are not saying this is the longest throwing light in the world today because it is not. The ability of a light to throw is inextricably linked to the size of the light so there are some lights that can throw farther but they are all, with no exceptions, much larger. The beauty of the DEFT-edc Enthusiast is the phenomenal power in such a tiny package.

How do we do it? Design-Execution-Quality components

The LED is direct solder mounted to a custom machined "pill" made of solid high conductance annealed copper. This then is joined to the body with an interference fit to maximize the heat transfer. The copper used is very expensive 99.99% pure Copper with an IACS conductivity rating of over 101%.

The optics used in the Enthusiast are extremely high precision and very very expensive. This part is one of the chief components that were upgraded for this model only. They are the single most expensive component used in the construction of this light. They are AR coated for high throughput and feature a short focal length for maximum light collection and larger beam width than the DEFT edc LR+. The main focusing optic is protected by an ultra-clear AR coated window. The effect of the two creates a rather jewel-like look which I have attempted to capture in the pictures.

The LEDs used in this light are the top 12 performing out of 300 of the highest rated bin of the highest flux density LED available on the market and then modified to almost double the performance beyond that! In short these are the best performing LEDs that money can buy.

This light was intended to be just that extra bit special as a way to see off this line of pocket throwers. As such they have also received a polish on key areas of the light which makes this light look and feel exquisite. The polish is good but not museum quality. Just want to be sure your expectations are in line with what we have actually produced. The contrast of the polished parts and the anodized portions are very beautiful and I am sure you will be delighted with the result.

I wanted to keep the glow rings but wanted something a bit more upscale than the usual glow color of green. A silver powder was cast as an outer layer to give a metallic/pearlescent look in the day but retains a glow core that shines through at night. The tailcap button cover also features this same look.

On this last model we have also incorporated a forward clicky tailcap which is the most favored setup and often requested in the past. It has a nice positive and light feel to it.

Now to the performance figures. First a little bit of context. The original DEFT edc did 40Kcd typical which to this day is still industry leading.(specific output) As in...nobody has beaten it! Even some modders intentionally trying to beat it have failed much less some other manufacturer.

After that we came out with the revolutionary LR at 60Kcd typical. That was followed by the amazing performance of the LR+ at 72Kcd. Now we have the DEFT-edc Enthusiast coming in at a startling 86Kcd typical!!! All this while retaining the same small body and good runtime. That is a staggering 115% increase over a light that noone has yet to beat(edc).

As with the LR+ and it's predecessor the LR this light has a lovely neutral tint that also aids in color rendition and contrast outdoors. In this light however the colors seem even more saturated and beautiful. This is due to the high quality lens that has very low dispersion or color separation. The beam is still the same otherwise- that is to say that it is a projection of the LED die which is the most effective way of achieving maximum throw. I say this as a flashlight aficionado- this light feels and performs magnificent and I am very proud of it. There have only been 12 produced and 11 available for sale so this is an exceptionally small run.

This is to be the last OMG Lumens product for a while and quite possibly the last in this size class ever for us. Although there are still plans for new flashlights under the OMG brand I will be taking a break from it to concentrate on a new flashlight venture that I will share with you all very soon.

-From my wife Teresa, my sister Mandy and I we thank you all from the bottom of our hearts for your support all these years. It has been a labor of love.

For purchasing and availability please see our online store.

Specs:
Head diameter-33.6mm
Body diameter-25.08mm
Length- 135mm
Weight(without battery)- 114grams
Battery- 1 Rechargeable Lithium-ion 18650(battery not included)(not compatible with 123 size cells)
Pearlescent GITD tailcap cover
Pearlescent GITD Grip Rings
99.99% pure copper first tier thermal path(over 101% IACS conductivity rating)
Reverse polarity protection
Silver coated beryllium copper positive battery spring
1.4A Regulated Driver
Forward clicky switch
Neutral tint Cree XP-C Q4
High precision AR coated optics
Typical throw performance of 86K cd/86K lux @1 meter

d5fe355d.jpg

af2107da.jpg

4287d09a.jpg

81f5271b.jpg

eb41b134.jpg

5cd6e13a.jpg

e6ba9073.jpg

656baa89.jpg

ASheep

Enlightened
Wow. Just wow.
That is absolutely beautiful!
I thought the LR+ I have was amazing, but this is just a work of art!
The one complaint I have about the LR+ is the lack of protection over the lens, I'm always paranoid I'll scratch it.

A truly spectacular send-off for an amazing line of lights, You've really outdone yourself Michael!

Cheers,
Alex

shramj

Newly Enlightened
If I didn't already own the LR+ I would be buying one of these. This light looks awesome, nice way to send off the DEFT EDC series! Just curious, I was wondering if you had any of the standard green glow-in the dark rings left? I would like to add those to my LR+. By the way, anyone that hasn't used a DEFT before, you will not believe the throw these things have. Thanks, Joe

Last edited:

sloan

Newly Enlightened
wow that light is stunning. if I didn't have an LR and had the $$$ to afford it I'd be all over this. Your deft edc lr is still my favorite light by far!

these lights are selling fast.

Last edited:

Draven451

Enlightened
Just when we thought the best could not get any BETTER!

What an outstanding way to bring to close such a fantastic series of lights!

I know you mentioned this light during our recent Dallas GTG and to finally see the pictures WOW!

Once again your innovation and hard work has brought these lights to the next level.

Thanks for sharing your passion and pushing the optics/leds/form factor into the STRATOSPHERE! :twothumbs

torva_lupus

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
I am afraid the flash light is already out of stock....what is only 11 items for the whole world? I guess nothing at all...
Thank you Saabluster for your contribution to make world lighter!!!!!

Saabluster can you tell us how much time did it take to run these items out of stock?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Saab,

Awesome is a total understatement!!

Wishing you continued success and lots'a'lux in your new venture.

tgwnn

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait...

I come back from my job to find out that all twelve Enthusiasts got sold out in less than SIX HOURS from introduction...

Woe is me.

I guess I'll have to be happy with the multi-voltage one.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Just wow.
That is absolutely beautiful!
I thought the LR+ I have was amazing, but this is just a work of art!
The one complaint I have about the LR+ is the lack of protection over the lens, I'm always paranoid I'll scratch it.

A truly spectacular send-off for an amazing line of lights, You've really outdone yourself Michael!

Cheers,
Alex
The LR+ you have is amazing. And no need to fear the lens in the LR+ getting scratched. It is made of glass so it is very scratch resistant. The lenses in the Enthusiast are plastic however and although assembly would have been far easier and cheaper and the performance ever so slightly better I decided it was unacceptable to have the lens exposed.

beamshots?
Will try and get some up tomorrow night. Ran out of time tonight with all the emails back and forth.

Just when we thought the best could not get any BETTER!

What an outstanding way to bring to close such a fantastic series of lights!

I know you mentioned this light during our recent Dallas GTG and to finally see the pictures WOW!

Once again your innovation and hard work has brought these lights to the next level.

Thanks for sharing your passion and pushing the optics/leds/form factor into the STRATOSPHERE! :twothumbs
Yes I know. Everything can get better. Even this. If you remember the glimpse I gave you into the future has a light the same size as this one but with the power of the original DEFT. I'll have to bring my R+D unit with me next time we meet up;)

Hi guys,
I am afraid the flash light is already out of stock....what is only 11 items for the whole world? I guess nothing at all...
Thank you Saabluster for your contribution to make world lighter!!!!!

Saabluster can you tell us how much time did it take to run these items out of stock?
Well it took 4 or 5 hours. Don't know exactly but it was quick.

Hi Saab,

Awesome is a total understatement!!

Wishing you continued success and lots'a'lux in your new venture.

tgwnn
Well thank you guy_who_actually_does_have_a_name;) I can't wait till you get your light done. That will be one incredible piece of work.

Wait...

I come back from my job to find out that all twelve Enthusiasts got sold out in less than SIX HOURS from introduction...

Woe is me.

I guess I'll have to be happy with the multi-voltage one.
:eek: Sorry. I have to confess I tried to time the release where more in the US would have a shot for the simple fact that all the foreign orders will cost me significantly more to ship than my website charged. I want these lights insured due to the high value and USPS makes you bump up to a higher priced shipping method just to even be able to add insurance. The thing is I could'nt figure out how to configure that on my site to account for this so I just hoped that more US people would get them. In the end though 9 of them turned out to be foreign.:ohgeez:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well thank you guy_who_actually_does_have_a_name;) I can't wait till you get your light done. That will be one incredible piece of work.

:eek: Sorry. I have to confess I tried to time the release where more in the US would have a shot for the simple fact that all the foreign orders will cost me significantly more to ship than my website charged. I want these lights insured due to the high value and USPS makes you bump up to a higher priced shipping method just to even be able to add insurance. The thing is I could'nt figure out how to configure that on my site to account for this so I just hoped that more US people would get them. In the end though 9 of them turned out to be foreign.:ohgeez:
Saab,
Gimme a shout, or just ask in the reply I have not gotton yet, about international shipping and GoDaddy.

Wow that is amazing, only two units in the US, and they both are in the North East.
GL

onthelake

Newly Enlightened
Thank you Michael for all the hard work!

I can't wait to start using this on my boat in Tennessee, though after seeing photos of how much labor of love you put into these lights, I might just have to keep this in my office and use my edc LR+ for evening and night boat outings.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
saab are you going to be making anymore lights in the future like maybe a new full size DEFT or something like that?
That is the plan yes. To do it right takes a lot of money and I will have to save up the funds to do it. Believe me there is nothing I'd rather do than to get that light back.

Saab,
Gimme a shout, or just ask in the reply I have not gotton yet, about international shipping and GoDaddy.

Wow that is amazing, only two units in the US, and they both are in the North East.
GL
I was just going off what my wife mentioned. Or shall I say what I remember her saying. I went back and checked and it was nowhere near what I thought. Only four lights are going abroad. I think.;)

Thank you Michael for all the hard work!

I can't wait to start using this on my boat in Tennessee, though after seeing photos of how much labor of love you put into these lights, I might just have to keep this in my office and use my edc LR+ for evening and night boat outings.
Yeah I feel a little conflicted about that. I have always wanted my lights to be used in the field as they were intended to be. Never been much of a shelf queen kind of guy. That said I really want to see these lights taken care of. So much work.:eek:

And now for the beamshots. I just decided to compare it to the LR+(later version with higher performance) so those with that would be able to see how they compare.

LR+ 501'/152meters
82148837.jpg

Enthusiast 501'/152meters
98c2480c.jpg

LR+ 501'/152meters zoomed in
72d67830.jpg

Enthusiast 501'/152meters zoomed in
bb47e22d.jpg

Just for kicks the same shot as the one above but this is the Sipik SK68 on max throw 501'/152meters zoomed in
a05b2136.jpg

LR+ 826'/252meters zoomed in
592e8b7b.jpg

Enthusiast 826'/252meters zoomed in
d67c662e.jpg

There appear to be a lot of artifacts from the resizing as it is not quite as sharp or bright as the untouched photos are on my computer.

Last edited:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saab,
Thank You for the reply and clarification on the shipping ;).
Those beam shots are very nice.
I will try to due the light it's justice with beam shots like yours.
Take Care
GL