Which adult cartoons are the best, and which are the worst?

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of all the adult oriented cartoons that have come out since long ago, which do you like or dislike? There are some cartoons that are clearly adult oriented, and some that seem to be designed for any audience. Then there are the obvious child oriented cartoons like Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitsu or Sponge Bob. But there are other cartoons that only come on in the afternoons and evenings like Adventure time with Finn & Jake, or Regular Show. These can go either way, although some of the subject material often seems too "advanced" for kids.

I wish they would bring back Ren and Stimpy and make new episodes, but thats unlikely. I like Venture Brothers, King of the Hill, South Park, Regular Show, Adventure time w/ Finn & Jake, Boondocks, and although its getting a bit tired, I still like Family Guy. I've long ago grown somewhat tired of The Simpsons. Its been on since the friggin' late 80's for God's sake! Its on its 24th season I think, and although I watched a few newer episodes, and they were alright, I dont watch it regularly anymore. Its still on the list of all time greats though. Then there's the new, very good cartoon "Black Dynamite".

As far as cartoons I dislike, the one on top of the list would have to be "American Dad". Its like Seth Macfarlane sold his soul to the devil at the crossroads for the ability to make one(count that 1) good cartoon, then he tried to make a second one! Its like one big angry, false political stereotype, with poor writers and bad story lines.

Then Seth MacFarlane decided to go for broke and make a 3rd cartoon, and that is my 2nd worst adult cartoon, which of course is "The Cleveland Show". I mean, of all characters from family guy to use for a spin off, could he have chosen worse? I think not! Cleveland is the most quiet, bland, boring character on Family Guy. Wouldnt a "Quagmire Show" have been much better?

So, which adult cartoons do you really like, and which do you really dislike?

But more importantly, who would win in a battle between "Black Dynamite" and "Brock Samson"? Both are total bad-a$$es!:thumbsup:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Family Guy is still the king when it comes to satirizing the standard family sitcom format. The few episodes of The Boondocks are classics, and I'd agree Black Dynamite is off to a promising start. Harvey Birdman is probably my fave of the older shows, and all the still-running iterations of Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Don't forget Comedy Central's hilariously abhorrent Drawn Together, particularly the first season. And if you're looking for some rare Adult Swim short-run surrealist gold, try to find Perfect Hair Forever.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There's always Superjail to feel like a terrible human being for enjoying.

Watched part of an episode of Ugly Americans that might have been tolerable ... if I had more beer at the time.

Bryant

Newly Enlightened
Family Guy's pretty funny, and so is South Park. Family Guy is about going too far, but South Park is two times that of Family Guy's "going too far" meter.

I love them both.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Squidbillies makes Family Guy look like the Brady Bunch :)

The Harvey Birdman episode with the Scooby Doo gang. Almost wet myself I was laughing so hard.

Stu_Travelbee

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I used to watch South Park quite a bit and now that I think back to The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, which I watches as a kid, I sure did miss a lot as there were many political spoofs in its content that I didn't get back then.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Family Guy's pretty funny, and so is South Park. Family Guy is about going too far, but South Park is two times that of Family Guy's "going too far" meter.

I love them both.

The great thing about South Park is that they are equal opportunity and very "fair and balanced" in their criticisms of people, groups and institutions. They make fun of Conservatives, Republicans, but also Liberals and Democrats, as well and religious people AND atheists. So they dont just jump on one ideological bandwagon like is so common in Hollywood, the media and in adult cartoons as well.

Its good to see everyone getting their lumps for a change! Because there is certainly enough criticism to go around!

steveG

Enlightened
It's not geared toward adults, but Phineas and Ferb is one of the best shows on TV right. Sit down and enjoy it with your kids. You won't regret it.

Empire

Banned
King of the hill and family guy are the worst shows I watch, Yes on occasion I do watch some "special" shows but that is not gonna be discussed on CPF :D.
Lucky for the kiddies
I just can't imagine going to pick her up from school and the teacher walks out and says "Yes Mr.Empire, Ruby has used some words that I won't repeat them but I think you should talk to her about it"
WOOF
PS:Ruby is a DOG :fail:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Family Guy:thumbsup:

I no longer watch that show. It was funny at first, and I mean VERY funny. But now MacFarlane just uses it to express his own personal views regarding Life and Politics. Honestly, behind that goofy smile he always wears, MacFarlane is a surprisingly hate-filled individual.