• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Any way to open an eiger head?

H-Man

Enlightened
I have a level 3 NW rebel head that has a green tint, I want to swap in a NVSL219AT-H1 emitter. How do I open up the eiger head? If I need to drill out the head, where can I source the driver board and optics?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a level 3 NW rebel head that has a green tint, I want to swap in a NVSL219AT-H1 emitter. How do I open up the eiger head? If I need to drill out the head, where can I source the driver board and optics?

I tried the same thing with a Logan - it does not work very well. I stumbled across a CPF post where Curt explained that you would need to:

- use a sharp tool to gouge your way under the metal retaining ring sitting at the very top of the head
- remove the metal retaining ring (it has been secured to the lens with aquarium epoxy)
- remove the lens (if it didn't already come out with the retaining ring
- remove the optic
- somehow desolder and resolder a new emitter without melting all the components or any of the black potting compound
- replace the optic
- source a replacement lens to replace the one you gouged all to heck getting the retaining ring out
- replace the retaining ring

Long story short, I put a small nick in the Lexan lens on the Logan, decided even if I got it off I had no idea how I'd swap the LED without destroying the innards, and left the light alone.

archimedes

Flashaholic

For what it's worth, Oveready does have Eiger 219 (head assembly) in stock right now for $45 .... I would think that trying to do a swap on the potted Eiger might "cost" more than that in terms of :hairpull: :rant: :banghead: :sick2: - at least for many modders :)

There's also still a market for selling the lower output vintage fixed-level Peaks, too.

Last edited:

H-Man

Enlightened
For what it's worth, Oveready does have Eiger 219 (head assembly) in stock right now for $45 .... I would think that trying to do a swap on the potted Eiger might "cost" more than that in terms of :hairpull: :rant: :banghead: :sick2: - at least for many modders :)

There's also still a market for selling the lower output vintage fixed-level Peaks, too.
I got this head in the Christmas giveaway last year so I don't feel okay selling it. It has a horrible green tint anyway and horrible CRI.
EDIT: I'm down to the emitter after 10 minuets of prying. What is the melting point of the potting material? (If it is low, I'll melt the sucker out and repot it, else I'll desolder the emitter.)

Last edited:

srfreddy

Enlightened
I got this head in the Christmas giveaway last year so I don't feel okay selling it. It has a horrible green tint anyway and horrible CRI.
EDIT: I'm down to the emitter after 10 minuets of prying. What is the melting point of the potting material? (If it is low, I'll melt the sucker out and repot it, else I'll desolder the emitter.)

I don't know how much room you have- if you can get something sharp in there to put pressure on the wire, it shouldn't take very long to very quickly hold your tip to the joint and pull the wire from it.

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was about to say you'll have a much easier time asking Peak to make a new one, but I guess it's too late.

Last edited:

H-Man

Enlightened
I don't know how much room you have- if you can get something sharp in there to put pressure on the wire, it shouldn't take very long to very quickly hold your tip to the joint and pull the wire from it.
OD is 14mm, ID is 13mm I think. Worse comes to worse, I can drill the wires out.

H-Man

Enlightened
These are full size, so I will only link to them. (I might crop them in the morning, but I have work early tomorrow so chances are slim)
http://imageshack.us/a/img94/9509/p1010353j.jpg

That metal washer is a just a place holder for the lens, the parts are ordered from top to bottom.
Here is the head: (mamed by me cleaning the adhisive on the MPCB off so that more can be seen.)
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/6919/p1010346r.jpg
Yes, the head still works, I'm actually considering making it a mule.

Last edited:

H-Man

Enlightened
Necroing this thread: It almost looks like the LED is actually mounted onto FR4. I may end up desoldering the rebel and swapping in a non puke green LED once my soldering skills are satisfactory.