Maglite XML Drop Ins?

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
I'd like an XML drop in for my 2D Maglites...
I know that Malkoff offers his XML drop in, But its apparently for 3-4 D cell only.

Are there others out there?

JD

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a voltage thing. 2xD cells @ 1.5v each isn't really going to give you much to power an XM-L (not sure what a fancy boost circuit could do though).

You could run your 2D on:

1 x 26650
2 x 26650
6 x AA in Series (there are some 3AA to 1D adapters for this, although I can't recall were I saw them now)

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not just voltage, you need cells that can handle the amperage draw, and have enough capacity.

Don't drive it at over 6v. 1x 26650 and a spacer, or a 3s2p 6AA to 2D converter with Nimh cells. Both of these options will give less runtime than the 3D, but also provide a smaller package.

I'm not aware of any other off the shelf drop-ins for a 2D.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unless you like the size and look of Mag lights, just get a flashlight that is already built around the XM-L LED. D cell size flashlights are becoming more and more extinct. I was caught up in the Mag light upgrades back in 2006 /2007 and now am trying to unload them because there are so many better options that have come about in the last couple of years............and better battery options.

Problem is the upgrades cost more than just buying a good quality LED flashlight in the first place............and thus trying to recoup the cost of an existing 2D incandescent Mag light through an upgrade really is inconsequential.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could run your 2D on:

1 x 26650
2 x 26650
6 x AA in Series (there are some 3AA to 1D adapters for this, although I can't recall were I saw them now)

Or use 4 x 1/2 D sized NiMH, or 3 x C with a modified spring and padded tube.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3-6D malkoff XP-G in my Mag 2D running 3x Accuevolution C cells with the spring mod and a 1" PVC sleeve.

rob3rto

Newly Enlightened
I have the "older" 3-6D XP-G version.

Been great even with just Duracell M3 cells, but saw he now does the XM-L version but not a 3-6D one :(

Anyway, are there any comparisons between old and new? Pics or vids.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need long run time, 2 parallel 18650 (3400) in bored out M*g 1.25D will run for hours.

Another option is 4S/2P Eneloop AAs in bored out 2D M*g.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like an XML drop in for my 2D Maglites...
I know that Malkoff offers his XML drop in, But its apparently for 3-4 D cell only.

Are there others out there?

JD

I'm guessing that, as the others have said, there are probably no really good options for that low of a voltage. With this said, what I would consider is going with a 3C Maglite. They're less than an inch longer than your 2D. And, of course, they're smaller in diameter and lighter. Run them with some good NiMH C batteries, and you will have a fairly small but powerful flashlight with pretty decent runtime (anywhere from 1.5-2 hours, depending on the batteries).

joe226

Newly Enlightened
I never realized there was this much of a following for customized flashlights. Very cool and extremely informative!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Terralux tle 300 is my favorite dropin for d cell mag lights. 1000 lumens with three XPG's and the optics make it a single hotspot.

Fusion36 fits a 2D maglite and will get u over 400 lumens on quality 2D cells. All flood, great for walking the dogs

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff D drop ins will NOT fit a C Maglite.

You can convert a 2D to a 3C by using a plastic pipe as a sleeve and trimming the spring in the tailcap.
See pictures here:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?194716-Elektro-Lumens-P7-2D-3C-Maglite

The Malkoff D drop-in may not fit a C Maglite. But they actually make a 700 lumen XM-L drop-in specifically for 3/4C cell Maglites:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/....html?zenid=043740a4e713a29611113fbcd0a6f8fdI

They also say that going with a 4C vs a 3C results in no increased brightness or runtime, which would make the 3C an IDEAL choice.

I should also note that they make XP-G based drop-ins for ALL C and D Maglites, including 2 cell models. However, these drop-ins produce ALOT less light.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff D drop-in may not fit a C Maglite. But they actually make a 700 lumen XM-L drop-in specifically for 3/4C cell Maglites:

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/....html?zenid=043740a4e713a29611113fbcd0a6f8fdI

They also say that going with a 4C vs a 3C results in no increased brightness or runtime, which would make the 3C an IDEAL choice.

I should also note that they make XP-G based drop-ins for ALL C and D Maglites, including 2 cell models. However, these drop-ins produce ALOT less light.
Grrr. Malkoff needs to update the Mag Mod index page.
Just getting a 3C drop in and a 3C Mag is a lot easier than trying to convert a 2D into a 3C.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I received Malkoff XM-L dropin for 3-4C Maglite. First I placed it in a 2C and runned it with 1x18650 and a CR123 dummy cell. It worked by the brightness dropped pretty fast. Then I realised that it's better to use it in my 4C Maglite and 4x Titanium 6000mAh batteries. I have 8 of these. I did so and WOW, this really rocks! No doubt that it's 800+ OTF lumens. So great product and actually it feels good to hold a "real" flashlight in the hand.
If you have an old Maglite 3-4 cell and a few NiMh batteries just get some of these dropins. Great throw combined with wide and very bright spill!

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I received Malkoff XM-L dropin for 3-4C Maglite. First I placed it in a 2C and runned it with 1x18650 and a CR123 dummy cell. It worked by the brightness dropped pretty fast. Then I realised that it's better to use it in my 4C Maglite and 4x Titanium 6000mAh batteries. I have 8 of these. I did so and WOW, this really rocks! No doubt that it's 800+ OTF lumens. So great product and actually it feels good to hold a "real" flashlight in the hand.
If you have an old Maglite 3-4 cell and a few NiMh batteries just get some of these dropins. Great throw combined with wide and very bright spill!

I'm guessing that this drop-in doesn't have much in the way of regulation. It would appear that it's really designed around NiMH (it even SAYS 'NiMH' on the drop-in), and the natural regulation that these batteries provide. Although it is certainly possible to run this drop-in with Li-Ion, the voltage of Li-Ion drops with use (as opposed to the wide, fairly constant voltage plateau of NiMH). Without regulation, brightness will drop with Li-Ion as the battery is discharged.

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would appear that it's really designed around NiMH (it even SAYS 'NiMH' on the drop-in), and the natural regulation that these batteries provide.

I would say it is more to do with resistance of the Mag. When I run the XML in my 3D or with 3 NiMH cells in my 4D, I cannot get the 2.6A draw. On 4, not a problem. Bypass the switch somehow and I think you may get the full 2.6A at around 3.6V.

The new XML2 drop in now mentions that you need 4 cells to get 2.7A and 3 cells is half that. So glad the XPG2 and XML2 versions sold out recently. I was about to buy them even though that would have hit my budget hard.