Modified TN31

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
This modified ThruNite TN31 is believed to be the current reigning king of throw as this is written.(8-27-2012) It does this while having a beautiful neutral tint. The layout and function of the ThruNite is fantastic. The selector ring on the side allows you to set the output level you desire before you even turn the light on which prevents you from being blinded if all you need is a low low mode. Other lights that have a single button that control the mode selection would require you to turn the light on in order to change modes and if it was on the high level the last time you used it then it would most likely start off in that high mode regardless of whether or not that is what you wanted or needed.

This light provides astounding levels of throw while still providing plenty of spill to see foreground areas. A nice spot to spill transition and tons of light down beam make for an unparallelled LED based search light. This has the throwing power of much larger HID based lights but with longer runtimes, better beam appearance, instant on capabilities, multi-mode operation, and longer life.
Note that this light is built to order so there will be a delay of 1-2 weeks before shipment.

• Throw- Modified 240Kcd!!!! (stock 130Kcd)
  • ANSI Maximum beam distance 980 meters(distance till beam approximately equals moonlight)
  • Level 1: 0.5 lm. 2000 hours; Level 2: 21 lm. 140 hours; Level 3: 146 lm. 22 hours; Level 4: 366 lm. 9 hours Level 5: 620 lm. 5 hours; Level 6: 1147 lm. 2 hours; Standby: 65 uA; Strobe: 1147 lm. 4 hours. (note that these are manufacturer specs and actual lumen spec will be slightly less. Runtime would probably be slightly higher given good quality cells like the Panasonic 3100/3400)
  • Working voltage: 4V to 13V.
  • Max runtime: 2000 hours.
  • LED-Cree XM-L
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 standard, 2M.
  • 201.70mm length, 79.00mm bezel diameter.
  • Weight: 452.80g without battery.
  • Runs on 3 18650 Li-ion rechargeable
  • Aircraft grade aluminum body structure.
  • Premium type III hard anodized anti-abrasive finish.
  • Ultra-clear tempered glass lens with anti-reflective coating.
  • Momentary forward click tactical switch.
  • Strobe mode for tactical and emergency use.
  • Smooth reflector for max light output.
  • Highly focused beam for maximum distance.
  • Tactical knurling for firm grip.
  • Mechanical reversed polarity protection design for battery carrier.
  • Intelligent highly efficient circuit board design for max performance and long run time.
  • Specially designed for Military, Law Enforcement, Self-defense, Hunting, Search & Rescue and Outdoor activities.
Intelligent temperature controlled light output for user safety.

b37edb4a.jpg
5d45cf29.jpg
befcddad.jpg
d7e399a4.jpg

212fca93.png

4d6923cb.png

a5d2d4a4.jpg

fc11f1d5.jpg

To purchase the modified TN31 please visit here.

For information on the modifications made to our lights see
here.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know how eager you guys have been to get these shots so I am glad to finally get something up to make you guys happy. It took me 3 1/2 hours to do the photo shoot and it was no fun. Turns out the sprinklers were set to come on while I was there and me and my equipment got wet. I was going to get even longer beamshots but the conditions just did not allow. I was freezing cold and the camera and lights all kept fogging up. It was so humid that wiping off the lens did no good as it would just fog right back up. Will have to get those shots later.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Huge difference there! Very good beam shots:thumbsup: That TN31 modified looks like a HID! The stock light looks so dim in comparison. Very Nice.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The smaller inset pic actually is the better one for me...as it seems to show the modified light also reaching past the box further, illuminating some shrubberies on the other side of the lawn area behind the box at the following tree line.

Would you know an approximate distance to that furthest point?

:D

Diablo_331

Enlightened
Are you planning on starting a thread for your other two creations? I am getting one of your Fandyfires. (did I really just say that? lol) it seems like it's going to be an amazing thrower for those of us that like the 18650x 2 format.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Are you planning on starting a thread for your other two creations? I am getting one of your Fandyfires. (did I really just say that? lol) it seems like it's going to be an amazing thrower for those of us that like the 18650x 2 format.
I've seen this before. This makes FF name seem almost distinguished. So keep it in mind that everything is relative and things get lost in translation when you run out of names that give meanings like Surefire.

Firelites.gif

Last edited:

chenko

Enlightened
Very nice! This light got me really interested, so I have to ask what I wasn't able to find in other posts (sorry if I missed that): where to find pricing and ordering instructions? Congrats on the great work :)

user73

Newly Enlightened
the tint is warmer, brightness a bit increased.
Edit: in the magnification the concret looks really brighter.

Last edited:

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested.

Could someone please explain what modifications are done to the TN31 please?

It's on the website, also been asked over and over. I feel bad that people won't try to find information and force saab to explain his ways over and over

kwak

Enlightened
It's on the website, also been asked over and over. I feel bad that people won't try to find information and force saab to explain his ways over and over

Might be worth putting up a link his website or links to any threads where it seems to be discussed over and over, for those of us that don't spend every waking moment on this forum.

I did search but as you can imagine "TN31 + modification" bought up many many posts.

Really grates on me folks that take time out of their day to try and belittle others, when it would had probably been quicker and easier to just answer the question in the first place.

But hey, thanks for you help :shakehead

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Might be worth putting up a link his website or links to any threads where it seems to be discussed over and over, for those of us that don't spend every waking moment on this forum.

I did search but as you can imagine "TN31 + modification" bought up many many posts.

Really grates on me folks that take time out of their day to try and belittle others, when it would had probably been quicker and easier to just answer the question in the first place.

But hey, thanks for you help :shakehead

LOL

Um, its in Saablusters sig...just go to the first post in the thread (This thread that Saabluster started....) and look for the last line in the first post...that should be his signature line. Its underlined, and has a smiley at the end, and says:

-After you find it, just click it (the one in his sig in the first post - not the one in my post...) and it will transport you to the site where the longest throwing led lights are.

If you have any trouble at all figuring out how to do the above, please, PM me, and I'd be more than happy to walk you through the process.

:D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! This light got me really interested, so I have to ask what I wasn't able to find in other posts (sorry if I missed that): where to find pricing and ordering instructions? Congrats on the great work :)

Sorry about that. You are quite right. I do need a link so you know how to buy the lights. Thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:

chenko

Enlightened
Thank you very much, I found the link now. :twothumbs
My apologies to Climberkid and any other user that has seen this question asked over and over and felt so bad, I tried to search first but had no luck and didn't look at the signature.
Still, I think a sticky thread with link and ordering instructions would help a little bit.

Great work with those lights Saabluster, wow! :faint:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
So as some may know I had issues with the batch of TN31 I bought. Quite a few were flickering and not able to output at full power. Since a great deal of what I am doing with these lights is making them more robust and durable I was non too happy to find this issue. In investigating the issue I found a change that was made from the first unit I bought and this last batch. In a less than stellar move ThruNite decided to coat the aluminum parts on the battery carrier and internal contact point on the head with something that is drastically increasing the circuit resistance. So much so that in some cases no electricity would pass. I figured it was probably anodizing but the normal chemical processes to remove it did not work. I tried some other chemicals I had but they really didn't work too well. So I decided that a mechanical removal of this layer would be necessary. So I went last week and purchased a sandblasting gun. I have tested to make sure it works but I am not doing the full batch until I get the blast cabinet as it makes a terrible mess. Harbor Freight did not have the blast cabinet in stock and said it should be on the next shipment arriving today. I will not be able to get over there until tomorrow but wanted to share this update with everyone. I took some before/after pictures to show the difference.

Here it is as I received it. Extremely poor with high resistance.
beamshotssept18382_zps0f7324a2.jpg

Here it is after I sandblast and surface it.
beamshotssept18383_zps8cf8a298.jpg

I have to do this to three parts on the light just to get proper electrical conduction. Just goes to show one of the benefits of purchasing my lights. You can trust proper QC will be done. ;)

Last edited: