18650 tent/camping fan anyone?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Looking to pick up a lightweight, (but strong) fan for camping and all the ones I've seen run on 4 D batteries. Any thing out there running on 18650?

Caseman2

Newly Enlightened
I am also looking for this. I have also searched ufo lights and tent light... Can't really find anything in 18650??
Let. Each know if you find anything.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Caseman2

Newly Enlightened
I am also looking for this. I have also searched ufo lights and tent light... Can't really find anything in 18650??
Let. Each know if you find anything.

**Let me know if you find anything **

Hank Zudd

Newly Enlightened
I found a 4" fan that runs on USB plug in; ran it off my Goal Zero Guide +10 power cell,
charged by the Nomad 7 solar panel. Fan ran about 3 hours (enough to get asleep) then had
to charge the batt pack again. Got the fan at a computer supply store for around $20.
I've used the 8 x d Batt fans (still have one) and the Coleman tent fans (1 x D); these are better
than nothing, but the USB powered fan was smaller & adequate. the larger 8 x D fan put out more, but
is cumbersome & fragile.

Was going to post here about a SLA battery conversion that I could charge from the Nomad 7; how
much trouble would this be? Don't have the fan box, so I'm not sure of the power specs. thanks

markr6

Flashaholic
I wonder how long a small CPU fan would run on an 18650? I actually use one hooked up to a 12V converter for miscellaneous uses around the house. Just watch your fingers, the plastic blade gave me a DEEP cut in a finger a few years ago.

For the small size, these move a good amount of air.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use one of the 18650 USB charger packs (with 4x18650) to run a USB desk fan. Works pretty well. I've previously used the Xtar WP2 MKII (which has USB output) as the power source.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any update on this. In 2015 we would like a fan powered buy one or several 18650 cells for longevity. AA cells will last a few hours. 18650s would last weeks. Anything new?

I use one of the 18650 USB charger packs (with 4x18650) to run a USB desk fan. Works pretty well. I've previously used the Xtar WP2 MKII (which has USB output) as the power source.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any update on this. In 2015 we would like a fan powered buy one or several 18650 cells for longevity. AA cells will last a few hours. 18650s would last weeks. Anything new?

I was just wondering why you say 18650 will last weeks?

If 1 x AA has 2400mAh capacity it can delivery approx 1.5 x 2.4 = 3.6Wh
1 x 18650 at 3400mAh can delivery approx 4.2 x 3.4 = 14.28Wh

so 1 x 18650 is roughly equivalent to 4 AAs.

18650 is not going to give you incredible fan run-times, but will reduce cell count and 'weight per hour of runtime'.

I've not seen any 18650 powered fans, but do still use the USB power pack with 4x 18650 fitted to power a USB fan.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use cheap 12vdc fans from Walmart and small SLA batteries like those used in alarms,exit light,jump packs,etc.
These run longer than any small batteries we use in our lights that I have at least and I have used the same batteries to run radio gear and other emergency gadgets on relief missions for years.

I don't think flashlight batteries are ideal for constant heavy drain use like fan motors for runtime vs size?
They can be heavy but handy too.

MrJino

Enlightened
How big of a fan do you need?

I have a few of those arctic breeze fans that plug into a usb port, they're quiet and have good air pushing capability for its size.
I think about 8 bucks each on amazon.
They have a bendable neck, but not super stiff, could be more stiff to hold position, but it's 8 bucks and has really good ratings.

I use it to fan during summer nights around a fire or hiking to a summit and relaxing, it'd work for tents too.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i borrowed my friends coleman fan\light, i did not like it, i have instatent so i have a rigid loop at the top frame hinge, so my tent could handle weight . i 'm not sure how other, lighter tents would. the unit is pretty heavy, airflow was barely noticable when laing on the matrass, i'm glad i did not buy one. for my next trip i'm building my own, i bought 12v clip on fan in auto zone, i'll remove clip, and build 8d holder (2x 4d holders from radio shack) with 2 position switch, low \high. the airflow of that fan is way better, it draws 0.8a. at 12v at lower voltage i suspect current will be lower, i do not want to go with li ions, i'd rather be able to put new batteries, anytime. i will post pic of build. a looked onlie for tent fans, read reviews and got a feeling none is good as far as airflow.
actually as i started building it, i see some good points on running it from 12sla batery, i actually have optima blue top, but i still want to build as 8d battery fan, with a jack, so i can run it from basically any 12v source, sla, or 18650, ...etc. but i still want to be able to run it on commonly availabe cells, such as D, less than 1A is about what they could handle.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok, I have build one, for my trip next weekend, pretty simple build took me 3 hours max, it runs off 8d cells, and has input jack, so I can run it on variety of cells. as well as ac power. via 12v adapter. I used dtdp switch for low I used 8ohm 20w resistor. I get about 350ma on low.
P1080698_zpshckbs387.jpg

P1080699_zpsqsp1wnfx.jpg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
build another one, using server fan 120mm square. pretty strong fan. uses same 8d cells, and has same 2 modes. about 300ma on low, 500 on high, I used 10\15 ohm resistors, with no resistors the fan is fast and loud. the old fan I build I gave to someone, it still works just fine, but it is a bit unbalanced, any normal person would use it and not even notice it, well not me, lol.

333_zpsnhkbhlc7.jpg

111_zpso1o8rhkj.jpg

2222_zpsbwtpklk1.jpg

nismozx

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to advise those that might still be looking that OPOLAR sells a few different ones now, i have that is 15.99 and is white and black. The blades are clear and has two blue LEDs that can be turned on with a long press of the ON button after setting the desired speed.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DZYUL6A/?tag=cpf0b6-20

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: TITAN mobile fan TTC-NF82TZ

i tried those tiny usb fans, they do not make nearly as much airflow as 12v server rack fan does, thou it can be pretty good as personal fan, but tent fan, not so much, unless you have tiny 1 person tent.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I have several USB fans and they are ok for personal use. I also have 2 fans that require an 18650 cell be inserted in the battery compartment but have built in micro usb charging once that is done. These 2 fans I bought one a year or so ago and the other about 8 months or so later. Both fans have a panel at the bottom with a red activation button on the left and a green on button on the right with 4 LEDs in holes in the silver plate between them having charging 1 2 3 labeled with 1,2,3 being low medium high on one fan and high medium low on the other fan. One fan comes on with High first the other Low first. Both fans have a single 5mm LED on the right side that comes on after cycling through the 3 modes. Both fans put out a decent amount of air about as much as the USB fans do on about the low mode while the high is a lot more powerful. These fans are on ebay in a bunch of colors and brands and stickers in the middle.
The fans have a label on the back with input at 0.5-1A at 5-9v 4.5watts. They are a little noisy but IMO a decent option for a portable fan in that you can swap the 18650 batteries out plus you can also power them with micro USB input but at the 1A level I don't think the charging circuit input can handle much more than 0.5A but I haven't really tested it to confirm it.
I haven't really used the fans enough to know total runtime etc.... but the ebay description equated 2 4 6 hours runtime at the 3 modes I think. You may get 8 hours perhaps a little more using a 3000+mah 18650 but I cannot confirm that.

Last edited:

angerdan

Enlightened

i tried those tiny usb fans, they do not make nearly as much airflow as 12v server rack fan does, thou it can be pretty good as personal fan, but tent fan, not so much, unless you have tiny 1 person tent.
The question is, how much noise do the TO want/accept?
This one is 3,75W and the next bigger one 12W.
https://titan-tech.de/en/outdoor/mobile-cooler/371/titan-tower-fan-ttc-nf06tz/v2-bp
https://titan-tech.de/en/car-mobile...reversible-roof-window-fan-for-motorhome?c=68

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

yes, it is a trade off, however latest fan i build using server rack fan, is about as noisy as Coleman 4d tent fan, but airflow is higher.

my tent is 9x9 and around 6'5" high, cabin type, it has a ring right in the middle of a ceiling, that s where i hang my fan, if i can't feel airflow lying down, the fan is useless, even if silent. normally i do hear my fan a bit, it but not enough to stop me from falling a sleep.
however i do realize someone in a smaller tent, where fan is much closer, will be happy with smaller fan, that is a lot quieter.

Last edited: