• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Suggestions - Oveready / TorchLAB

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
A suggestion for a new part.

With the different tube and battery configurations that these Moddoolar lights can have, I wonder if it is possible to make a blank-off cap for covering the threads and o-rings on the head of the tube, so that we can carry our spare battery in the body tube itself without getting dust or damage to it?

There aren't many carriers for some of these battery sizes, and it seems that we'd need the tube for changing over anyway.
So, let's say we had a body and tailcap with the battery in it, that we want to carry as a spare battery combo.
If we had a cap for the head end, we'd have our system ready to screw on to the head, and keep pocket lint out of it while carrying.
Some might even want to have caps for both ends, so that they can carry their battery inside the body, with both ends protected, so they can swap it on to their other head and tailcap.

It wouldn't have to be fancy. A simple plastic cap would do.
But some people might want a fancy alloy screw-on cap with matching colors, and maybe even some trit slots.
This could be a nice accessory part, and some people like to get fancy with their accessories.

Actually, your Delrin DB Tailcap could suffice for the tail end, if it had an optional rubber plug to put in the hole. Or even the aluminum DB tailcap, for that matter.
But we still need something to cover the head threads and o-ring.

Whadya think?

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Re: A suggestion for a new part.

Its a great idea, with a just a few limitations. Flashlight bodies have 2 ends, so to be useful there must be caps on both. As you point out, this could be a new cap at the tail end or an actual tailcap. But to keep the cell from moving about, the cap would need to have a protrusion like a spring. Something as elaborate (read: expensive) as an actual tailcap with switch/spring is more than $50. This is most worth it if the second setup has a different tailcap (changing between twisty and clicky) and/or different length. But this doesn't help the guys wanting a second of the same cell for use with the same configuration.

We've already given this some thought and have something in mind. Lets revisit this after Insider 39.

fyrstormer

Banned
Moddoolar bezel?

As far as I can tell, the complete range of Moddoolar parts is available at Oveready...but I can't seem to find any Moddoolar bezels, only stock and modded Surefire bezels. This is perplexing. Am I missing something?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Its a great idea, with a just a few limitations. Flashlight bodies have 2 ends, so to be useful there must be caps on both. As you point out, this could be a new cap at the tail end or an actual tailcap. But to keep the cell from moving about, the cap would need to have a protrusion like a spring. Something as elaborate (read: expensive) as an actual tailcap with switch/spring is more than $50. This is most worth it if the second setup has a different tailcap (changing between twisty and clicky) and/or different length. But this doesn't help the guys wanting a second of the same cell for use with the same configuration.

We've already given this some thought and have something in mind. Lets revisit this after Insider 39.

Thank you!
I'm pleased that you are already thinking in this direction. I'll look forward to Insider issue 39, and beyond.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Re: Moddoolar bezel?

Sorry for the confusion. The three piece Moddoolar system (head/body/tail) is standardized on a head that is smaller than SF heads and does not support P60 drop ins. This head is only available self contained and cannot be opened, beyond the lens/ring. P60 adapters are available so Moddoolar bodies can be used to build even more setups. Popular combinations include the Cryos, Smoothie, and custom Z41 bezels.

That being said, Moddoolar tailcaps were added and it is possible to make bezels that would work with Moddoolar and other bodies. What kind of bezel were you looking for?

fyrstormer

Banned
Re: Moddoolar bezel?

Sorry for the confusion. The three piece Moddoolar system (head/body/tail) is standardized on a head that is smaller than SF heads and does not support P60 drop ins. This head is only available self contained and cannot be opened, beyond the lens/ring. P60 adapters are available so Moddoolar bodies can be used to build even more setups. Popular combinations include the Cryos, Smoothie, and custom Z41 bezels.

That being said, Moddoolar tailcaps were added and it is possible to make bezels that would work with Moddoolar and other bodies. What kind of bezel were you looking for?
As you state, the Moddoolar system includes a P60 adaptor. So, I'm looking for a bezel to use with the P60 adaptor, that will match the other Moddoolar parts. The Cryos bezel looks okay, but it doesn't actually match the diamond-crosshatched battery tube and tailcap, and not all applications are high-powered enough to benefit from the fins anyway. I'm not saying a hypothetical Moddoolar bezel would need to be diamond-crosshatched (though a variation on the Smoothie that has similar crosshatching might look nice), but at least intentionally designed to complement the other parts of the Moddoolar system. The bezel is the one part that's missing at this point.

- - -

Another idea, somewhat more pie-in-the-sky: it would also be nice if you could make an adaptor sleeve to make Malkoff drop-ins fit snugly into P60-compatible hosts. (provided the hosts are milled to the same internal dimensions as Surefires, of course -- there's no way to account for cheap knock-offs.) Then anyone with a Surefire or 100%-compatible host (such as a Moddoolar light with a P60 adaptor and bezel, nudge nudge) could use a Malkoff with the same excellent heatsinking properties as an Elzetta, without being locked into a single brand of drop-in for future upgrades.

- - -

By the way, the root cause of all this speculation is this:

CIMG5301.jpg

It works, but the Solarforce host is cheap and parts only sorta fit properly. If I could assemble the Malkoff drop-in I'm using in this light into a Moddoolar bezel + P60 adaptor + Malkoff sleeve that would hold everything snugly -- and look good doing it -- that would be excellent.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned

I think a blanking cap on the head-end of the battery tube and a normal tailcap with a built-in switch would work fine. It would give the owner the option to have an extra tailcap with different functionality, or a spare tailcap in case of switch failure.

Alternately, a switchless Delrin version of the diamond-crosshatched tailcap could be made, and fitted with a plug of soft foam instead of a spring. That would keep cost to a minimum. I think the "spare switch" approach is better overall, though.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oveready addicted... Am I alone ???

Are you guys open to suggested product ideas?

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Product idea - ti pocket clip for the Surefire e-series light

Don Mcleish posted a clever modification to the largely useless pocket clip on the Surefire e-series of lights: http://dmcleish.com/CPF/L1/lanyard-loop.jpg

Have you given any thought to a titanium replacement lanyard loop for the SF e-series? Either in a pattern similar to the one above, or back and flush along the body?

For that matter, a ti-replacement pocket clip would probably be well-received, too.

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Product idea - ti pocket clip for the Surefire e-series light

Don Mcleish posted a clever modification to the largely useless pocket clip on the Surefire e-series of lights: http://dmcleish.com/CPF/L1/lanyard-loop.jpg

Have you given any thought to a titanium replacement lanyard loop for the SF e-series? Either in a pattern similar to the one above, or back and flush along the body?

For that matter, a ti-replacement pocket clip would probably be well-received, too.

++1

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Product idea - ti pocket clip for the Surefire e-series light

I have another thought about the end cap idea.

If the end caps screwed on to each end, with your concept of some method to hold the batteries from rattling around, AND had some very thin walls that exended all the way down the outside of the tube and met in the middle, it would cover the whole thing and protect it from scratches.

Example:
Let's say you had a TL34 with a 18350 in it as a spare in your pocket.
And there were end caps that could fit over the whole TL34 and cover it from end to end with very thin walls of delrin or something, as well as covering the threads and securing the batteries from rattling around inside, it would meet all the needs at one time.
The needs being:
1)Cover the threads of the TL34 from damage.
2)Allow battery to be inside the TL34 for spare/storage.
3) Prevent battery from being battered inside the TL34 during pocket carry.
4) Protect the outside of the TL34 from being scratched by keys or coins or whatever in your pocket, during carry.
5) Have the most minimal suitable wall thickness so that it is protective, but as unobtrusive as possible in your pocket. Not too thick.

Basically it would be similar for any one of the different length bodies.
Having it enabled to hang from a P7 suspension clip wouldn't hurt, either.

Just some various ideas thrown out there to chew on. I think it never hurts to have some suggestions coming in, with good intentions.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - Suggestions

I'm looking for a bezel to use with the P60 adaptor, that will match the other Moddoolar parts. ...The bezel is the one part that's missing at this point.

The P60 adapter was not intended to be part of a complete light, but rather to extend functionality for Moddoolar owners. With the wide assortment of bezels already available, however, it has proven to be a popular option for those building a host from scratch. Many of our bezel options are based on SF product that will soon be unavailable or impractical. When they are, replacing them with a style that compliments the DB knurling is a great idea.

Another idea, somewhat more pie-in-the-sky: it would also be nice if you could make an adaptor sleeve to make Malkoff drop-ins fit snugly into P60-compatible hosts.

Its not clear why the Malkoff M series was not originally designed to be snug (necessitating that malkoff hosts be incompatible with everything else), but for SF, making such a sleeve would not be universal enough (fit with enough repeatability) to be practical product. For Moddoolar, the Malkoff already makes solid contact at several points at the top and bottom of the package.

If the end caps screwed on to each end, with your concept of some method to hold the batteries from rattling around, AND had some very thin walls that exended all the way down the outside of the tube and met in the middle, it would cover the whole thing and protect it from scratches.

If I'm reading you correctly, the two ends would thread onto the body threads and reach out to each other, sealing the ends and encapsulating the entire body. Very clever! There are several design and production challenges to it and we are already committed to a self contained solution and need to see it through, but I will keep this mind.

There are 2 implicit questions:

1) why don't you make clips out of ti? We prefer making clips out of stainless steel because ti is more expensive, slows production (unless you use a grade that doesn't hold its shape) and takes more time for each clip. In return, its usually 2 grams for SS vs 1 gram for Ti, so the main benefit ends up being bragging rights, something we don't pursuit.

2) why don't you make E series clips/attachments? We have something in mind for E series, but it wouldn't rely on factory attachment points.

I'm pretty sure that the idea has come up already somewhere, but if your delrin bezel rings were available in GITD plastic, that might be a nice option ...

Delrin is one of my favorite materials. If we found a source of GID delrin, we would making all kinds of stuff with it. Orange and yellow seem to be available (at greater cost), but would not be as universally more popular.

Are you guys open to suggested product ideas?

We receive many requests. Some of which can inspire new products, some of which can shape the direction of projects already in mind or underway. In general, if there's something amazing we're not already doing, chances are that its because its lower on our priority list.

One of our favorite roles is maker of stuff that is to risky for bigger companies to try. But that also means not being big enough to make it all at once.

Last edited:

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

If I'm reading you correctly, the two ends would thread onto the body threads and reach out to each other, sealing the ends and encapsulating the entire body. Very clever! There are several design and production challenges to it and we are already committed to a self contained solution and need to see it through, but I will keep this mind..

You read me EXACTLY right!
Thanks! I hope that helps in some way.

Flea Bag

Enlightened
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - ETA Requests

Hi Dan,

I have a P60 L3n XP-E triple on the way and had some time playing with 4500K Nichia 219 triples as well... This is a bit niche but would you consider a run of Warm White 219 triples or XP-E triples?

The existing crop of 4500K tint of the XP-Es and 219s currently on sale in your drop-ins can still appear a bit cool or pale in the jungle especially on lower outputs. On high, they look brilliant and it's been proven that tint isn't much of a concern to most people if the environment is well lit-up. However, at dimmer levels like on medium or low, warmer tints have been shown to be more widely pleasant to our vision and these were also my personal findings humbly presented. There are sub-4000K 219s available right?

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Oveready / TorchLAB - ETA Requests

Hi Dan,

I have a P60 L3n XP-E triple on the way and had some time playing with 4500K Nichia 219 triples as well... This is a bit niche but would you consider a run of Warm White 219 triples or XP-E triples?

The existing crop of 4500K tint of the XP-Es and 219s currently on sale in your drop-ins can still appear a bit cool or pale in the jungle especially on lower outputs. On high, they look brilliant and it's been proven that tint isn't much of a concern to most people if the environment is well lit-up. However, at dimmer levels like on medium or low, warmer tints have been shown to be more widely pleasant to our vision and these were also my personal findings humbly presented. There are sub-4000K 219s available right?

Having spent a decent amount of time in our northern "jungles" , your request makes a lot of sense to me.
My headlamps are modded to a nice warm (sub 3500K) and they just feel right in the deep woods.
Part of the reason may be that the brain/eyes adjust to campfire light color.
The glow of a low output warm light is what I prefer for general camp tasks.

We do have some HI CRI XPG 3200K in stock that we could build for you sometime soon.

Any reason you mentioned the XPE for this warm light?
I am actually using a diffuser with my warm xpg triple around camp for an extra floody beam.

Nichia are much more difficult to source in small quantities, and special tints.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Please note, the warmer an LED is, the less efficient. Even in an H3 setup, a
3200/xpg triple would be under emitter 1000 lumens. Would you still want it?