Incandescent: low lumens, long runtime ?

FloggedSynapse

Enlightened
Any available. I was thinking of 2-10 lumens, with a minimum runtime of 5-10 hours. Some sort of incan nightlight.

For example the A2's bulb is good for ~50 lumens/1 hour. How about an incan bulb (hot wire) with an output of 5 lumens for 10 hours. Possible?

Something about the quality of light from a hotwire.. it can't be reproduced using an LED technology. However the 'runtime' of most incandescents does not exceed 1 hour and is their biggest drawback.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about trying to fit the Minimag bi-pin bulb in a 2D Mag? It's specified at 15 lumens for five hours (if you can believe those specs) on two AAs so it should last about four times longer than that on two big D cells.

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
How about trying to fit the Minimag bi-pin bulb in a 2D Mag? It's specified at 15 lumens for five hours (if you can believe those specs) on two AAs so it should last about four times longer than that on two big D cells.
don't know if the output is 14 lumens or not, I've tested the MiniMag 2AA (Xenon) does 5 hour+ on a pair of Alkaline... I was skeptical at first, so I tested it again and indeed, it does 5 hour+... :)

edit: fwiw, I used Radio-Shack alkaline cells in both test...

Last edited:

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
Rat Shack has .15 and .25A 6.3v screw base bulbs. I've been running these in my 2x li-ion Mags via a little screw base insert in the bulb holder. Works well for candle mode, or when long life and low light are needed. The .15A is probably around 20 lumens. They do whiten up nicely thanks to over-volting.

Though I haven't tried them, rat shack has sub miniature 6v bulbs rated for 25ma. That would be over a hundred hours off two 18650's.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something about the quality of light from a hotwire.. it can't be reproduced using an LED technology. However the 'runtime' of most incandescents does not exceed 1 hour and is their biggest drawback.
I understand that thinking - for high power applications.

But even for the main bulb of the light You mention, it is already over. And much "worse" for low, low power light.
Simply compare a Solitaire with the white led of the A2,
... and You can even get led rings with the tint YOU prefer ...

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, according to Mag, the common 2D Mag produces 19 lumens and lasts 10 hours. So this would get you the runtime, albeit with more light than you want. You could drop your lumens significantly while also increasing runtime by running a 3 cell or 4 cell bulb into a 2D. However, the light output may or may not be too orange for your liking.

broadgage

Enlightened
For a limited output, long running incan light you may need to search around for bulbs of lower power than the standard ones.
For a 2 cell maglite or similar, a 2.5 volt 0.3amp bulb will give very roughly 50 hours run time on 2 D cells.

5 volt, 0.09 amp bulbs exist, but unfortunatly have a non standard base for flashlights, they run for about 200 hours on 4 alkaline D cells.

For still longer run times, multiple cells or batteries in paralell can be used, I have an old modified handlamp that uses 6D cells in 2 strings of 3, and a 3.8 volt, 0.3 amp PR base bulb, that gives over 100 hours on alkalines and dozens of hours on zinc carbon cells.

The older types of low current bulbs are becoming scarce, with LEDs and higher power incans becoming the norm.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The higher the voltage, the more efficient the bulbs get as far as output. If you want a really decent output bulb with long runtime, try to locate a high voltage bulb with a really low current drain.

The Surefire M4's LOLA @ 250 lumens for one hour one 4 CR123A's is a really good example of this, since the M6's 250 lumens lamp assembly runs for one hour as well, but requires 6 batteries. But this is probably a lot higher power than you are looking for.

I'd say something in the 50 lumens range and 12 volt operating range would run a really, really long time. Maybe six hours or more on four CR123A's. Just as an example.

Last edited:

jrmcferren

Enlightened
If you have a 2D cell light, look into the PR-4 lamp. These are typically specified for 2AA and 2C lights, pop this into a 2D light and you should increase your run time. A way to test this is to take a 2AA flashlight (cheap Wal-mart type) and a 2D flashlight (Cheap walmart type or flange base MagLite) and swap the bulbs out. You will likely be running a KPR-104 (krypton) from the 2AA light, but it gives you an idea of the life increase, if you don't want to play with that, RadioShack sells the PR-4 bulbs.

Here is some data:

Lamp
Cells
Fill
Current
PR-2
2D
Vacuum
500mA
PR-4
2AA
Vacuum
270mA
KPR-102
2D
Krypton
900mA
KPR-104
2AA
Krypton
480mA

Last edited:

Paolo B

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, Monocrom mentioned this site on Watchuseek a while back and so here I am now.

I'm also interested in a long runtime incan nightlight. I'm currently using a 2AA mini Mag with Energizer alkalines. I like this size of light and its candle mode. Runtime is long enough for me. I'd rather use rechargeable batteries though. Can I use Eneloops safely in this? Maglite says no but I figured I'd ask the experts.

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
Eneloops will be fine a far as safety, and in my opinion may qualify as 'safer' because they won't leak! That's what I've got in my Mini ;)

It will not be as bright at first as with fresh alkaleaks, but over the course of your burn it may stay brighter due to sagging voltage of the alkalines.

Paolo B

Newly Enlightened
Awesome, thanks. I forgot to ask: will this result in a lower bulb lifespan?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
when it was actual, I have EXTENSIVELY used minimags - which pretty noone has, imho.
* with rechargeables, a typical runtime is about 5 hours,
* lifetime of a bulb is about 1.5 sets of batteries in general
(and I have used up quite many bulbs to be absolutely sure about that ...)

imho it makes no sense at all, get f.e. a Fenix E01 instead,
or a Quark AA, or something comparable
... that output is led territorry
;)

Paolo B

Newly Enlightened
I used my mini Mag with Sony rechargeables I found lying around the house. Like mentioned above, output seemed to be lower.

Hmm, if the bulbs only last that long on rechargeables I can see myself using up a lot of bulbs over time.

yellow, I've got three Fenix E01s and an LD20. LEDs have a way of keeping me from getting sleepy, so that's why I use an incan nightlight.

Admiralgrey

Newly Enlightened
I doubt bulb life is diminished by using rechargeables. Voltage will be less when fired up, meaning less stress on the filament.

Perhaps Yellow is referring to the original vacuum bulbs, as I imagine the new xenon filled ones would be good for more than 7.5hours.

I agree with you on that Paolo B; a solitaire + eneloop is my chosen nightlight :)

SemiMan

Banned
I used my mini Mag with Sony rechargeables I found lying around the house. Like mentioned above, output seemed to be lower.

Hmm, if the bulbs only last that long on rechargeables I can see myself using up a lot of bulbs over time.

yellow, I've got three Fenix E01s and an LD20. LEDs have a way of keeping me from getting sleepy, so that's why I use an incan nightlight.

You guys in the Incan world really need to get out ;-)

Get an LED flashlight made up with a 2,700K high CRI LED. There is very little blue content in them which is what "may" keep you from getting sleepy. Of course could always make one up with yellow/red LEDs too. Either way, runtime will never be an issue.

SemiMan

Banned
I still have several halogen spotlights. I can't say they get a ton of use, but they get used. I think that means I am both a LED guy and an incan guy. I also have several maglites, but more for nostalgic reasons. I have a range of LED flashlights at a variety of color temps. Most are off the shelf but modified with the LEDs of my choosing. I think there are misconceptions of LEDs that are often based on limited knowledge of what is possible. The comment above about LEDs keeping me from getting sleepy has merit, if you have used cool white LEDs only. Circadian rhythm is regulated by light under 520nm of which cool white LEDs have quite a bit. High CRI 2700K LEDs on the other hand have very little, similar to an Incan. They don't get warmer as they dim, but you can run them at lower power for long periods of time.

Semiman

Paolo B

Newly Enlightened
I doubt bulb life is diminished by using rechargeables. Voltage will be less when fired up, meaning less stress on the filament.

Perhaps Yellow is referring to the original vacuum bulbs, as I imagine the new xenon filled ones would be good for more than 7.5hours.

I agree with you on that Paolo B; a solitaire + eneloop is my chosen nightlight :)

Cool :)

Get an LED flashlight made up with a 2,700K high CRI LED. There is very little blue content in them which is what "may" keep you from getting sleepy. Of course could always make one up with yellow/red LEDs too.

I think there are misconceptions of LEDs that are often based on limited knowledge of what is possible. The comment above about LEDs keeping me from getting sleepy has merit, if you have used cool white LEDs only. Circadian rhythm is regulated by light under 520nm of which cool white LEDs have quite a bit. High CRI 2700K LEDs on the other hand have very little, similar to an Incan.

I'm flashlight illiterate, unfortunately. Would orange or red lip balm caps on an LED get me out of the circadian rhythm disrupting zone?