My Leatherman Mod -Glass/Window Breaker, Ferrocerium Striker (with pictures)

Spidey82

Enlightened
Hi peeps, its been eons since my last post.
just wanna share a Mod i did to my Leatherman charge tti/wave

I'm not sure if anyone done anything similar.
Please advice me if so.

i really like this mod, and i really want you guys to know about it.

CIMG1429.JPG

on the right is my 2+ year old EDC, CHARGE TTI, with the Window Breaker that i Mod over a year ago. Left is my new WAVE (backup)

CIMG1431.JPG

CIMG1434.JPG

the clip with my window breaker vs the new "stock" clip.
The breaker comes from a tile drill bit, (size 3.5mm if i rem correctly)
as the tip is tungsten carbide, i figured it will do the Job.
i shape the tip of the drill bit to my liking, using a dremel tool and diamond disc. (yes, i know tungsten carbide dust is bad for health)
i make sure its not "scriber" sharp, as i don't want to accidentally scratch my phone, glass table ect.
a slightly rounded tip, but does it's JOB.
i have thus tried it on discarded glass windows, fish tanks, beer bottle ect. the Tip held up very well!

CIMG1443.JPG

Next i sharpen the "cutout" part of the clip with a dremel, (U can use a diamond rod file)
making a sharp striker surface that will not cut me accidentally.

So, there u have it, additional 2 function to the already multi-function Leatherman tool :grin2:

Hope you guys enjoyed this post.

duro

Enlightened
Awesome. I have a wave, and I Just ordered the pocket clip to go with it...Would you be interested in selling me one? I would love to add the capability to my leatherman.

Spidey82

Enlightened
Sorry Duro, I'm not selling my clip. But if there is enuf interest on how to mod it,
I can make a tutorial :)
I still have a clip to mod anyway.

Last edited:

EvanH

Newly Enlightened
I really liked the modification that Spidey82 did on their Leatherman, so I took it as inspiration for my mod's. I added a tungsten carbide glass breaker as Spidey82 did, then swapped the Leatherman Wave standard pliers for a set of Leatherman Rebar jaws, and added a stainless steel cap screw welded in place as a thumbstud on the knife blade. In the center of the cap screw I added a glow dot from Epoxy with some glow powder. See the at
2Q==
tached photo's:
2Q==
Z
9k=
9k=
2Q==

Last edited:

nakigara

Newly Enlightened
The glass breaker in the clip looks like a pretty neat modification.

As to a ferrocerium striker, I've found the spine of the saw blade on leathermans to work really well. Probably the best out of anything I've tried. Anybody else use this, or have a good reason not too? (it does leave scorch marks all over the side, so I guess there is a cosmetic issue, if nothing else...)

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, Nakigara.

Not on a Leatherman, but I have modded the spine of multitool blades to be a good ferro striker. It's as simple as squaring the spine, then lapping the blade sides with sandpaper on some cardboard. It gives two different square edges for striking. It's something to do while listening to the radio.

Another multitool mod I've done is to sharpen the blade spine of a serrated blade for double duty. Two edges on one tool.

Friend of mine modded an "emergency key" into a Leatherman Micra by swapping out a tool blade. I've seen him open a cardboard box with that key as a tape breaker. No comment on the key itself.