OSTS TN31mb Monster Thrower

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
405Kcd!!!
I did say well over 300Kcd didn't I? Hard to believe huh? This is what I am rating the newly updated OSTS TN31mb at. This is a phenomenal achievement for the flashlight community and one I am very proud to bring to you. The light now sports an XPG2 and direct to copper mounting. It is a fair amount more work to get the new parts to all play together nicely and due to a recent drop in purchase price for the host the modded price has only risen $10. Part of the work has come in honing in on the focal point better. This is a painstaking process. Direct to copper bonding of the LED has also played a crucial role in the performance levels that have been achieved. In fact it would not have been possible without this.

Just so you understand what a huge accomplishment this is consider that the massive Power on Board HID spotlight does 530Kcd on my current test setup. This new TN31mb is coming relatively close to the performance of this old behemoth but does so with over three times the runtime, easily swappable batteries, a tiny fraction of the weight, a fraction of the overall size, far higher CRI, multi-mode output, all weather usability, and instant on capabilities. The TN31mb is very much like being able to carry a huge HID spotlight in your pocket for those moments when you really need to see far.

Let's say we compare "apples with apples" though. At least in terms of size which has a profound effect on a light's ability to throw. The Titanium Innovations L35 HID is at least close in size if not slightly bigger and has been measured with a peak throw of 260Kcd. At a smaller size the TN31mb clearly blows the L35 away.
What about the new badboy on the block- the Olight SR95S UT? At 250-260Kcd it is certainly a performer. But then it should be at almost twice the size and weight of the TN31mb. And yet the TN31mb owns it with 60% more throw while at the same time costing $155 less.

The TN31mb has 211% more throw than the stock TN31. It is like being able to carry the throwing power of one of those gigantic HID spotlights in your pocket. There has never been anything like this before. I am confident you will be amazed by the performance of this light.

Below is the website description.
This modified ThruNite TN31 is the current reigning king of throw as this is written.(12-25-2012) It has 211% more throw than a stock TN-31! It would take more than three stock TN31 to equal the throw of just one TN31mb!!!!
This light provides astounding levels of throw while still providing plenty of spill to see foreground areas. A nice spot to spill transition and tons of light down beam make for an unparallelled LED based search light. This has the throwing power of much larger HID based lights but with longer runtimes, better beam appearance, instant on capabilities, multi-mode operation, and longer life.
The TN31mb features a beautiful neutral tint for good color rendition. The layout and function of the TN31 is also fantastic. The selector ring on the side allows you to set the output level you desire before you even turn the light on which prevents you from being blinded if all you need is a low low mode. Other lights that have a single button that control the mode selection would require you to turn the light on in order to change modes and if it was on the high level the last time you used it then it would most likely start off in that high mode regardless of whether or not that is what you wanted or needed.
The extreme performance of this light is due to component optimization on every level. The LEDs used are the current highest performing parts available. The LED is also mounted direct to copper allowing high specific drive levels to be achieved. This model also required focal point enhancements to achieve the incredible performance. This light stands in my mind as a milestone achievement in reflector based LED lights. In fact it stands as a milestone achievement regardless of collimation type.

Each light is tested to insure it meets the performance spec range and comes with a signed certification card to show tested performance. At this early stage in production a large enough sample size has not been made for a final spec range so the performance spec listed is a projected figure. Note that our standard for finding typical performance figures exceeds ANSI spec of three units. As of this moment the ANSI spec for the TN31mb would be 408Kcd. I am listing the TN31mb at slightly less than that even though I anticipate the final number to be higher. Note that the typical number is just that-typical. This means that the light certified and shipped to you may be slightly above or below that mark.

Please note that this light is built to order so there will be a delay of 3-4 weeks before shipment.

• Throw- Modified 405Kcd!!!! (stock 130Kcd)
  • ANSI Maximum beam distance 1273 meters(distance till beam approximately equals moonlight)
  • Level 1: 0.5 lm. 2000 hours; Level 2: 21 lm. 140 hours; Level 3: 146 lm. 22 hours; Level 4: 366 lm. 9 hours Level 5: 620 lm. 5 hours; Level 6: 1147 lm. 2 hours; Standby: 65 uA; Strobe: 1147 lm. 4 hours. (note that these are manufacturer specs and actual lumen spec will be slightly less. Runtime would probably be slightly higher given good quality cells like the Panasonic 3100/3400)
  • Working voltage: 4V to 13V.
  • Max runtime: 2000 hours.
  • LED-Cree XP-G2
  • Waterproof to IPX-8 standard, 2M.
  • 201.70mm length, 79.00mm bezel diameter.
  • Weight: 452.80g without battery.
  • Runs on 3 18650 Li-ion rechargeable -Please use only high quality "protected" 18650s such as Panasonic 3100/3400 NCR18650A or NCR18650B
  • Aircraft grade aluminum body structure.
  • Premium type III hard anodized anti-abrasive finish.
  • Ultra-clear tempered glass lens with anti-reflective coating.
  • Momentary forward click tactical switch.
  • Strobe mode for tactical and emergency use.
  • Smooth reflector for max light output.
  • Highly focused beam for maximum distance.
  • Tactical knurling for firm grip.
  • Mechanical reversed polarity protection design for battery carrier.
  • Intelligent highly efficient circuit board design for max performance and long run time.
  • Specially designed for Military, Law Enforcement, Self-defense, Hunting, Search & Rescue and Outdoor activities.
  • Intelligent temperature controlled light output for user safety.

To purchase the modified TN31 please visit here.

For information on the modifications made to our lights see
here.

b37edb4a.jpg
5d45cf29.jpg
befcddad.jpg
d7e399a4.jpg

212fca93.png

4d6923cb.png

TN31xpg041_zpsf11492f0.jpg

Zoomed in shot of the electrical box at 511'
TN31xpg037_zpsa9a4adcb.jpg

It is approximately 800' to that treeline.
TN31xpg050good_zps6af3eb80.jpg

This is a zoomed-in shot of 800'
TN31xpg044_zps029216c2.jpg

Just a fun light sabre shot:)
TN31xpg052good_zps39ba8677.jpg

Last edited:

hahoo

Enlightened
OSTS TN31 mega blaster

Well I have several lights I am about to release. One of them is an updated TN31. There is also some "budget" models coming. Trying to get the info for it put together now.

hmm....updated as in lower price or higher lux ?
inquiring minds need to know :naughty::devil:

langham

Enlightened
Re: Modified TN31

You know it will be higher lux, Saabluster is always improving his stuff. I figure pretty soon these things are going to have kick and warning labels.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

HIGHER? Im afraid of melting anything i shine it on within 100 yds.... Im trying to coordinate a beam shot from 5000' in the air. Just have to get the timing right.

langham

Enlightened

I am pretty sure at this point we need to question Saabluster's sanity if they get much brighter. I know he wouldn't release something barely perceivable so I bet it will be over 300kcd. At what point do we start testing these things next to lasers? I think they would do equivilant or greater damage than a 5mw as is.:bow: Glad they don't have to take these through customs because I think they might just confiscate it.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

I am pretty sure at this point we need to question Saabluster's sanity if they get much brighter. I know he wouldn't release something barely perceivable so I bet it will be over 300kcd. At what point do we start testing these things next to lasers? I think they would do equivilant or greater damage than a 5mw as is.:bow: Glad they don't have to take these through customs because I think they might just confiscate it.

It will not occur to them to consider the possibility of an LED flashlight having enough power to see into the next room, let alone take out ICBM guidance systems, etc.

:D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am pretty sure at this point we need to question Saabluster's sanity if they get much brighter. I know he wouldn't release something barely perceivable so I bet it will be over 300kcd.

Well get ready to question my sanity for sure. You seem to know me awfully well for as little time as you have been here. I am not generally into small improvements if I can help it. We are going well over 300Kcd. :)

Ragnar66

Enlightened

Well get ready to question my sanity for sure. You seem to know me awfully well for as little time as you have been here. I am not generally into small improvements if I can help it. We are going well over 300Kcd. :)

8294966102_d95a3a8a42_m.jpg

Parker VH

Enlightened

I have a feelin the wallet's gonna take another hit.:thumbsup:

Devildude

Enlightened

I know that my wallet is going to take a hit, bigger is always better. I think I will keep the original to compare it to, that and the three STL-V6's I bought already. You can never have too much of a good thing as long as it has a purpose. It is all for a good cause though as I do not have all the shop equipment to do these modifications and I enjoy progress.

langham

Enlightened

I have been a fan for a lot longer than my membership, you can read without being a member. I started researching flashlights a while ago. I doubt he will use the XM-L2 the factory lead time is insane I have been trying to get a good bin and they are telling me to wait, but you never know he might have some back door contact that we can't get to. I also don't think so due to the fact that he claims that he will exceed 300kcd easily and the added efficiency would only give you a roughly 12-15% rise in lumen output, so not even sure if that would do it for the lower end of 240kcd. I am personally going to make the shift for my TN31, because I am not tricky enough to convince my wife to order a OSTS version. Though I may pick up this model or maybe just wait a little longer, because I can't just set aside the best Christmas present my wife has ever given me.:tsk: When I do order one it will be for the sole purpose of being able to show people why we are so obsessed and not for the brightest light argument. I may wait until something better comes on to the OMGlumens website.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
OSTS TN31 mega blaster

So I have taken some of the chatter about the new version out of the other TN31 thread and put it here since this thread will be the main one to contain all the pertinent info for this new light.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been a fan for a lot longer than my membership, you can read without being a member. I started researching flashlights a while ago. I doubt he will use the XM-L2 the factory lead time is insane I have been trying to get a good bin and they are telling me to wait, but you never know he might have some back door contact that we can't get to. I also don't think so due to the fact that he claims that he will exceed 300kcd easily and the added efficiency would only give you a roughly 12-15% rise in lumen output, so not even sure if that would do it for the lower end of 240kcd. I am personally going to make the shift for my TN31, because I am not tricky enough to convince my wife to order a OSTS version. Though I may pick up this model or maybe just wait a little longer, because I can't just set aside the best Christmas present my wife has ever given me.:tsk: When I do order one it will be for the sole purpose of being able to show people why we are so obsessed and not for the brightest light argument. I may wait until something better comes on to the OMGlumens website.

You know langham I seem to remember you having told me that before. I'm not known for my memory. Sorry. Fortunately I do know how to make lights though. :D

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: OSTS TN31 mega blaster

any et on the insanity ??
3 weeks ?
3 months ??

The release will happen as soon as I can get all the info posted up on my website. I have more than one model that I am releasing and each one has had pictures and info that I have needed to gather and make relatively professional. The first few of the TN31mb have already been built. These will go to purchasers of the XML version who opted in on this upgrade. I am just waiting on a few parts to arrive to make them meet my standards before I send them out but these customers will be the first to have them in hand. The rest will come in 2-3 weeks time. Mandy is working with me again to get lights out faster so there shouldn't be as long a delay as last time.

edit: The et on full disclosure is a day or two away.

Last edited: