Stanley Fat Max XM-L spotlight suggestion

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey saabluster, here is a thread that you may or may not have seen.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?339764-stanley-Fat-Max-XML-spotlight-!!!

Anyway, I purchased this light about a month ago and it is quite impressive in it's stock form. It out-throws my Thrunite Catapult V3, Dereelight DBS V3 with aspheric head, and my Streamlight Waypoint spotlight. It does this by a noticeable margin I might add. I would say subjectively it seems similar in overall lumens output to the Catapult based on ceiling bounce tests.

Anyway, it is a very reasonably priced LED spotlight with a nice, large reflector and also some good heatsinking. I thought I would bring it to your attention as a good possible host for working your magic on. I have a feeling you could pull off similar or greater performance to the TN31 mod and it would be a nice form factor difference from your other offerings. In addition it has a built in li-ion battery pack that could be upgraded, too.

Your current offerings look great and I would like to make some purchases from your website once I can get my Titanium Innovations L35 sold. There is no reason for me to keep an HID now that you have pulled off this kind of candlepower from an LED/reflector setup. Your work is impressive to say the least!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised to see no interest from anyone on this yet. I figured the form factor and built in battery pack would have people really interested in a mod on this light. I guess time will tell.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised to see no interest from anyone on this yet. I figured the form factor and built in battery pack would have people really interested in a mod on this light. I guess time will tell.

Sorry. I am exceedingly busy trying to make everyone's lights so I don't have any time to do any product evaluations or in-depth responses right now. I think there would be more response to this if I outlined the potential outcomes of a mod of this light but that takes time to do calculations and evaluations that I simply don't have time for. I do appreciate your suggestion and encourage others to do the same as it can help me see what type of product you guys might like to see offered.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry. I am exceedingly busy trying to make everyone's lights so I don't have any time to do any product evaluations or in-depth responses right now. I think there would be more response to this if I outlined the potential outcomes of a mod of this light but that takes time to do calculations and evaluations that I simply don't have time for. I do appreciate your suggestion and encourage others to do the same as it can help me see what type of product you guys might like to see offered.
Thanks for the response, I understand what you are saying. As far as you being busy that is good to hear, I ordered the TN31mb yesterday so I am really looking forward to seeing that when you get it done. I figured I would start off the new year with your LED super-thrower.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK. I went to Walmart today to get some stuff to help filter out the fine particles we have been breathing in in our shop. As I always do I check out their lights and guess what I saw? Yup. The FatMax. So I bought it to test. Didn't have time for anything more than a beam intensity test.

The box says it does 100,267cd.

I measured it at 84,500cd.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. Did you measure at 5 meters or something different? It is a pretty deep and wide reflector which leads me to believe it has the potential for much more candlepower if the surface brightness were increased and the focal point finely tuned. The heatsinking seems pretty heavy if in fact the cooling fins on the side of the light are directly attached to the heatsink/star of the led.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's cool. Did you measure at 5 meters or something different? It is a pretty deep and wide reflector which leads me to believe it has the potential for much more candlepower if the surface brightness were increased and the focal point finely tuned. The heatsinking seems pretty heavy if in fact the cooling fins on the side of the light are directly attached to the heatsink/star of the led.

I currently test at right about 8 meters. I am about to start testing some lights at twice that or more. Haven't made my mind up on that yet.

H-2 CHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Fat Max last nite at wall-mart and its like a police chopper light shinning down the street . Hope it hols up because i love it .Update / at 100 yards with no problem i light up a dark house down my street in the pitch of dark .

Last edited: