Coleman rocks a new WARM lantern!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's so interesting about a new Coleman led lantern? How about coming stock with a warm led!

This is the lantern: http://www.kellyscamping.com.au/p/7470830/coleman-cpx-6-reversible-retro-lantern.html

For some reason, Coleman is offering this lantern in Australia and New Zealand right now, and not North America. I paid through the nose, and then some, to ship one from Australia to the US. Just got it tonight.

Anywho, here are the list of nice improvements over some other lanterns:

Warm led, but not too warm or yellow. I would estimate 3200k. Extremely pleasant.
transparent dome, so hangs upside down well without a dark spot directly under it.
Frosted globe - no glare! The led itself is in a small frosted dome inside as well. The effect of the dome and globe together is that it looks like its using a very bright white incan bulb. It's a cool look.
4 amber LEDs for nightlight
Low is a very useable level. Decently bright, but noticeable from high.
Dual power sources - 4Ds, or Coleman's rechargeable CPX 6 pack. Comes with the 4D holder.
Feels sturdily built. It will take some knocks.
Rated at 175 lumens. Looks every bit of it.
Unique modern look, but retains the classic Coleman shape. The outside of the base is transparent, which balances nicely with the clear top
Strong steel bail is sturdily attached.

This is the lantern many of us have been looking for. Coleman, please bring it to the US!

Don't be deceived by the 175 vs. the 300 of the 3D rayovac. They are not far apart at all.

I ordered a Gentos (aka Rayovac, aka favourlight, aka many others) from Japan, with warm led. Looking to compare...

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
About freakin' time the lantern folk caught up; after nearly half a decade of playing with warm tints in flashlights.. Is the runtime is well-regulated?

I don't know anyone who wants a cold tint lantern, I hope this starts a trend..

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
No claims of circuit regulation, but I would think you'd get the massive runtimes 4 Ds with moderate led drive would provide.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
LOL at the price on their website -

Original price $1,282,581.00
Our price $49.95
You Save $1,282,531.05

What a savings!
:)

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found another warm one: the Coleman Table Lamp, 4D/CPX Cree XP-E warm, and available in the US. The reviews imply it's not that bright, might be best if it's just you and you want to read, but hey, 100 hours, $25..

saw that one; the brightness is fine, but it seems a little large for what it is. I also don't care for the shade being able to wobble about, if that's the case. But tempting to try...

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the thread, Phaser.

I've owned Coleman's products in the past and traded/gifted them, because the build quality was horrible.
The Favourlights are much higher quality.

Is there anything you can add to your post about build quality?

Is this a "must buy" for Flashoholics?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The favor lights do have better build quality. Part of this is because Coleman makes their products larger than they need to be to achieve the branding recognition that their classic lantern shape affords. So, it will feel lighter weight in materials because the lamp would weigh a ton otherwise. IMHO. It's a design choice. That said, I think the Coleman will survive plenty of outdoor use for sure. If it didn't, the product line would be a train wreck for them as they sell tons of led lanterns to campers, etc, and its not.

A must buy for all? No, it's not wildly different from their existing 4d led line. But, if you look at lanterns and see glare and a harsh blue tint that is unpleasant for area lighting, then yes. Hoping it comes to the US.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, cool.

I absolutely hate it when companies release into only one or another market.

From the picture, it looks like the diffusion/glare shield may be better than the Favourlights.

Although I don't think their build quality is all that stout, their glare reduction shields are tops in my book.

DaMeatMan

Newly Enlightened
Looks neat, but soo far behind what is possible with today's warm LED tech. You could buy one of those and swap out whatever LED's they got in there for some warm white XML's or XML2's. The lantern body seems similar to the retro one i modded (see link below) and achieved over 1000 lumens with excellent runtime (albeit in cool white). Had i used warm white LED's i'm sure i would still be around the 700 - 800 lumen mark. The diffuser i used was still better then anything i've bought from Coleman.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...eman-Retro-8D-Lantern-(1200-Lumens-Cree-X-ML)

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn, since you seem to be the only guy with one of these at present, could you do a current test on this?

Six volts from the batteries on high...I am guessing maybe 500mA to 650mA to the LED...I'd love to know the current draw from the cells at six volts...

I am guessing 325 to 380mA from the cells...?

Last edited:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Phaserburn, since you seem to be the only guy with one of these at present, could you do a current test on this?

Six volts from the batteries on high...I am guessing maybe 500mA to 650mA to the LED...I'd love to know the current draw from the cells at six volts...

I am guessing 325 to 380mA from the cells...?

Ask and you shall receive...

High - 480ma, Low - 160ma, nitelite amber leds - 60ma.

I'm no expert, but here's what I think. For D cells, I would expect - around 10A capacity on high, netting a runtime of around 20 hrs. On low, around 14A capacity, for a runtime of 88hrs. Nitelites, around 18A, for a runtime of 300hrs. Maybe someone can check my math.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I FINALLY found the Lantern forum!

Really interested in this Gentos Warm LED lantern Phaserburn! I hope these 2 lanterns are a sign of things to come in the US!

Im looking for a 300 Lumen top output Warm LED Light with 3 or 4 level settings, High, Medium, Low, Night Light (or even better Infinite Dimmability), running 3 or better yet 4 D cells.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Phaserburn, thanks for the current readings. Not the most efficient LED out there, but not horrible, either.

@EscapeVelocity, I have the Gentos Explorer EX-777XP warm white LED lantern for sale in my "Light up the Night Lantern Sale" over on the Marketplace. I won't be able to ship for some time, but if you are interested in the set, please email me off the forum.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any other thoughts?

I am strongly considering having a pair shipped here and getting a DC input jack
modded into it.

I don't care for batteries, but I think these would be great around the house.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This is still the only store-shelf lantern I'd care to own aside from the Favourlight/40426. Warm tint really should be the default for a lantern.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Warm tint really should be the default for a lantern.

Agreed.

It annoys me, the prospect of having to import one of these, at very high shipping, from the other
side of the planet.

I really don't see what the big deal is about offering this in other countries.

Most of modern electronic gear comes from China.

Hey, Coleman execs, are you listening?

Sell this in North America!
People will buy it!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
High - 480ma, Low - 160ma, nitelite amber leds - 60ma.

I have a question:

I am probably going to wind up getting a few (two or three of these) and have them brought here, to the United States.
Batteries are a pain, and I will have them modded to have a DC input jack for easy of use.

I really like power supplies that have folding blades, because it makes them easier to transport and less likely
to catch on things.

We are working with a 6v supply, and a maximum current draw of 480mA on high.

It can be hard to find a 6v power supply with folding plugs.

Would a 5v power supply rated at over three times the current work?

Alkalines are notorious for sagging under load.

What do you guys think?

I am looking right now for a six volt power supply with folding plugs,
but if I can't find one, would a 5v power supply rated at way more than enough current be okay?

What about a 7v power supply?

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't find a 6.0v power supply with folding plug, but I did find a 5.0v, a 6.5v, and a 7.0v.

I think the 6.5v is totally the way to go.

If I would up buying three of the lanterns and getting them modded for DC...
if we figure each one uses three watts, three of them would be nine watts.

I could leave them running, on high, 24/7 and never walk into a dark room at only a negligible
increase in household energy consumption and electrical cost.

EDIT: Does anyone think a 6.5v power supply would hurt the driver? I wouldn't think 0.5v extra would harm it, I would think it might just draw a little less current. But I really am not sure.

Last edited: