Streamlight Stinger HL

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
New Stinger Model the High Lumen (HL) 640 lumens; 22,000 candela peak beam intensity and it runs on the Streamlight 3.6v Nimh battery.

Also a Strion HL model with 500 Lumens.

Last edited:

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I don't like is that the Stinger keeps getting larger. Both the Polystinger DS LED and Stinger DS LED are now longer than allowed by my employer. I ordered the Strion LED HL last night.

secflb

Newly Enlightened
I have 5 of these among myself and staff. Great flashlight if you get the rechargeable CR123s.

I have compared it to Sunwayman and Nitcore, which are both supposed to have"more lumens" but this actually blows them both away.

Looks like it has an XM-L of some version in it as it is a large LED.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, looks like Streamlight really stepped up this year, 20 models got upgrades this year. I'm trying to talk my employer into getting us some, he's been thinking about it but no plans yet :(

that won't stop me from buying one (or three) when they become locally available

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 5 of these among myself and staff. Great flashlight if you get the rechargeable CR123s.

I have compared it to Sunwayman and Nitcore, which are both supposed to have"more lumens" but this actually blows them both away.

Looks like it has an XM-L of some version in it as it is a large LED.

The light hasnt been released, yet. Why would you use rcr123's in a Stinger?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he might be confusing it with the ProTac HL. LED HL versions of the Stinger and Strion are going to be available around March or April.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Stinger LED HL

http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=273

That is a good find!

I have actually been hoping that they would switch to a lithium ion battery for the Streamlight Stinger. Of course, that does require a different charger, but it sort of seems like they are still catching up to others when they are stuck in a NiCad/NiMH world. Sure, I know the Strion is Li-Ion, but a Stinger sized light could really benefit from Li-Ion.

By any chance, does anybody happen to know if this is the first Streamlight Stinger that is regulated?

I am also wondering if it uses the current Streamlight Stinger charger?

Last edited:

rolncode3

Newly Enlightened
My Stinger DS HL just showed up today. Much brighter than my TLR-1 300 lumen (the next brightest light I have now). Very nice, but the head on it is definitely growing vs. my old Stinger XT. Haven't had a chance to take it outside or to work and really play with it. But typical high-quality Streamlight.

Oh, and it definitely fits on the same chargers as the old versions.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update. I suspect that a bunch of PDs and SOs will go with this because it continues to use the existing charger.

jeffb502

Newly Enlightened
I just received my Stinger HL a couple days ago, along with the Bianchi Accumold Elite loop to hold it on my duty belt for use while working security. I've been playing around in the house (after a full 10 hours on the charger as directed in the instructions) and comparing it to my Thrunite Scorpion V2 w/ Turbo Head (my previous duty light, with 2 fresh 123 primaries). There isn't much information on the internet about the Stinger HL so I figured some people might find my initial impressions useful.

• Total lumen output on max seems to be about the same between the two to my eye.
  • The Stinger HL has a slightly larger hotspot than the Scorpion V2 w/Turbo Head.
  • The Stinger HL is longer than the Scorpion V2, but being carried on the belt it seems to be the perfect size.
  • The Stinger HL uses the dimming function that makes movement look strobey (I think it's called PWM). I tried this out by moving my hand in front of the beam and found it distracting enough where I probably won't use the medium or low modes very often, especially if there's a chance of shining it on something that's moving. Since it's a duty light, and it always comes on in high first no matter which switch is used, this isn't a big deal for me.

I don't have a fancy camera to take useful beam shots so I won't try.

I decided to try out the Stinger HL since I was looking at options to move the light from my pocket to my belt, and I recently acquired a TLR-1 HL, which I like. The Scorpion w/Turbo Head was just slightly too large for the left front pocket on some pants. Bianchi makes a nice loop for Streamlights and Surefires. The Surefire lawman was out of my price range so the Stinger HL seemed the best choice. It's nice to have my left front pocket free for use as a pocket, not dedicated to being a flashlight holder.

As far as general purpose lights I think the Scorpion is much better than the Stinger. The different modes on the Scorpion can be accessed without having to turn the light on in high first like one has to do with the Stinger. The Scorpion has a low low, and a programmable steady on mode, while the Stinger's lowest low is still over 100 lumens…way too much for a bedside "walking down the hallway in the middle of the night" light. The PWM also kills any usefulness the medium and low modes would have on the Stinger.

My first quality light was a Streamlight UltraStinger, so I was happy to see Streamlight offering a reasonably priced, made in the USA light with comparable output to what I have already been using that's made in China. I also have a Streamlight TLR1 HL on my duty weapon, and the Stinger HL makes a good companion to that. I'll probably be carrying other lights for off duty/EDC, but for duty Streamlight is making some decent stuff.

arKmm

Enlightened
Apologies for the thread resurrection but I couldn't find a newer post on the Stinger HL than this.

I've been looking at placing an order for one but most of the retailers I've been looking at quote the model as being 640 lumen but according to the manufacturer site it's 800. As such, I'm presuming there's been two generations of the HL. Is there any way to tell the difference or does anyone know somewhere definitely selling the newer version?

BigDogg795

Newly Enlightened
Apologies for the thread resurrection but I couldn't find a newer post on the Stinger HL than this.

I've been looking at placing an order for one but most of the retailers I've been looking at quote the model as being 640 lumen but according to the manufacturer site it's 800. As such, I'm presuming there's been two generations of the HL. Is there any way to tell the difference or does anyone know somewhere definitely selling the newer version?

Incidentally I was looking at the HL this morning lol. The 800 lumen version says it's 800 lumens on the box. You can check opticsplanet and see what their listing says. I bought my last HL from them and will probably go back to them again for the 800 lumen version.

arKmm

Enlightened
Thanks, had a look at OpticsPlanet and can see they've got it but the $50 shipping charge to the UK means I'll need to find somewhere else.

The other thing to work out other than whether it's the 800 or 640 lumen version being sold is to see whether it's the new USB based charger or the older one as that is equally ambiguous on seller websites it seems!