The new OSTS Nightmaster (in white, green, red, and soon infrared versions)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw reference to this new offering in a completely different topic in another thread and sub-forum, and was surprised there is no dedicated thread here.

So let me start with a question, which LEDs are being used in the white, green, and red versions of this flashlight?

Second question, what lumens do each of these flashlight versions produce? And a related question, what current does the emitter run, in each of the three versions?

And I am forgetting something...what is it...wait! Beamshots!! Me want!

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw reference to this new offering in a completely different topic in another thread and sub-forum, and was surprised there is no dedicated thread here.

So let me start with a question, which LEDs are being used in the white, green, and red versions of this flashlight?

Second question, what lumens do each of these flashlight versions produce? And a related question, what current does the emitter run, in each of the three versions?

And I am forgetting something...what is it...wait! Beamshots!! Me want!

You don't see a thread for it here because I really was not wanting to promote it just yet. I put it up on the site to appease some people that have been begging me to do so. Some hunters in Texas and another guy here at CPF. I do not in general publish lumen figures because it is not the standard by which a throw light should be judged. The figure that you really should be concerned with is the candela rating which is supplied and will tell you how intense the beam is. Beamshots will come later.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
saabluster, what is the UI for the Night Masters? Single or multi?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
You don't see a thread for it here because I really was not wanting to promote it just yet. I put it up on the site to appease some people that have been begging me to do so. Some hunters in Texas and another guy here at CPF. I do not in general publish lumen figures because it is not the standard by which a throw light should be judged. The figure that you really should be concerned with is the candela rating which is supplied and will tell you how intense the beam is. Beamshots will come later.
I was going to make a thread to, I was planning on having someone make me an over powered single mode EZ900 R2 pill but I dout it would of done 200k lux. What is done to this?

Second I know your not much for custom orders but would it be posable to get a single mode of this light that ran full power on 1 18650? I hate using 2 16340's or 18350's or even 2 18500's in my DBS when 1-18650 has more power. Stock its 1.8 amps? even at 3 amps 1 18650 would be fine...

And I hate the click mode switchy thing, all the other deree lights have 2 modes tactical and 3 mode but the XR-E pills don't.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Oh and are there any plans for an X-searcher mod? XP-G2? What would happen if you stuck the Pill from a OSTS Nightmaster in the X-searcher?

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, of course I am familiar with the idea that for throw lumen measurements are not important.

But, even for throwers, runtime matters! Whatever the initial lux, it will fall to ZERO after the batteries are exhausted.

And, for runtime, the lumen output and the current absorbed by the emitter matter.

Another element is the efficiency of the emitter. To track my flashlight collection, I have a couple of large spreadsheets where I keep track of basic measurements, which include both throw (lux/candela) and lumen ratings on top of several others such as current absorbed. Then I can calculate various efficiency measures.

One such I have been tracking is the current absorption per lux (or rather, the inverse of this ratio). For this it is not enough to have the lux, I also need the current.

Finally, I have learned a tremendous amount from reading your posts and I am truly grateful, and do not mean to complain about anything you are doing, of course there is no hurry to post everything especially about a new product.

But, at some point, I think it would be helpful to add some of the information, especially the type of LED used and the rest of the specs I list. This is also useful by the way as I also try to calculate the angle (degrees) of each LED light emission, and this could differ by type of LED.

Especially custom flashlights often change specs and even LEDs without much notice to the wider public, and inconsistencies in these calculations will inevitably creep in unless we keep rigorous track of as many specs as possible.

Many thanks again for your contributions, and for sure I will be adding some of your creations in my collection, but after I am able to do a rigorous comparison to my existing "stable"!

Last edited:

Helmut.G

Enlightened
Another element is the efficiency of the emitter. To track my flashlight collection, I have a couple of large spreadsheets where I keep track of basic measurements, which include both throw (lux/candela) and lumen ratings on top of several others such as current absorbed. Then I can calculate various efficiency measures.
You may already be aware of this, but here goes:

With this measure you can only compare total LED efficiencies (Power output divided by Power input) of LEDs that emit the same spectrum, unless you apply a correction factor.
This is because lumens is not a measure of power, but is weighed after the human eye's sensitivity, which changes heavily for different colors.

What I'm trying to say is: comparing lumen numbers for a red or a green LED flashlight to standard white lights will not tell you anything about runtime without several more calculations, especially as red and green LED's efficiencies are not the same as the current whites.

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may already be aware of this, but here goes:

With this measure you can only compare total LED efficiencies (Power output divided by Power input) of LEDs that emit the same spectrum, unless you apply a correction factor.
This is because lumens is not a measure of power, but is weighed after the human eye's sensitivity, which changes heavily for different colors.

What I'm trying to say is: comparing lumen numbers for a red or a green LED flashlight to standard white lights will not tell you anything about runtime without several more calculations, especially as red and green LED's efficiencies are not the same as the current whites.

Thanks -- I think now that you clarify this, I had read something about it but for sure I didn't focus on this very closely.

Is it the same problem when comparing lux per power input? (that's what I look at, not lumen per power input).

ALso, in my comparisons all the LEDs are white, although of course some are warmer tints than others. I guess the correction factor would be smaller in such cases than when (mis)comparing white and red or green LEDs.

One more complication, light meters (at least higher quality ones) say they make corrections for spectrum. So shouldn't the lux measurements already be corrected?

For example, the lux measurements between white, green, and red for nightmaster differ by a lot (like 200Kcd vs 90 vs 30), could this be because the correction factor is already applied?

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The very act of "correction" IS your problem.

:D

Essentially, if the lux is based upon proportions in the spectrum, and a red light for example only HAS a narrow part of the spectrum...it will have a very low lux #.

It would be analogous to a hearing test instead of a vision test....when they check your hearing, they also use a "corrected" spectrum...one biased towards what you can hear, and, conversational frequencies. So, high pitched and deep bass sound is weighted more lightly.

So, lets say you had a speaker (Instead of a light) that was transmitting a sound at 20 Hz (Deep Bass), the dBa would be lower than if the same power was transmitting 4,000 hz (A conversational frequency)...same power, but, a different scale to measure it.

star_c_star

Enlightened
Hi saabluster,

I am about to purchase the OSTS Nightmaster, but I want to double-check something first.

On the OSTS website, you mention that the Nightmaster will not run at the full 200K candela with only one 18650 battery. Can we use the Dereelight Night Master 18650 battery extension, so that the OSTS Nightmaster can run with 2 18650's? We could then use 2 RCR123's (full flashlight output), one 18650 (reduced flashlight output), or two 18650's with extension (full output).

Also, approximately what is the candela rating of the OSTS Nightmaster with 1 18650?

On a side note, I am very happy with my OSTS TN31mb, have ordered the DEFT-X, and eagerly await it. When I bring my latest flashlight along to walk the dog at night, people are often amazed at its power. The DEFT-X should really astound them (I'll bring a much weaker flashlight along for seeing where I am walking, unless I find a diffuser for the DEFT).

star_c_star

Enlightened
Hi saabluster,

I am about to purchase the OSTS Nightmaster, but I want to double-check something first.

On the OSTS website, you mention that the Nightmaster will not run at the full 200K candela with only one 18650 battery. Can we use the Dereelight Night Master 18650 battery extension, so that the OSTS Nightmaster can run with 2 18650's? We could then use 2 RCR123's (full flashlight output), one 18650 (reduced flashlight output), or two 18650's with extension (full output).

Also, approximately what is the candela rating of the OSTS Nightmaster with 1 18650?

On a side note, I am very happy with my OSTS TN31mb, have ordered the DEFT-X, and eagerly await it. When I bring my latest flashlight along to walk the dog at night, people are often amazed at its power. The DEFT-X should really astound them (I'll bring a much weaker flashlight along for seeing where I am walking, unless I find a diffuser for the DEFT).

All,

I did not mean the above post as a private message. It was really meant for a general audience, since others may have the same questions I had, but some of the questions could only be answered by saabluster.

star_c_star

Enlightened
OK, I gave into my desire for this flashlight, and bought it. It will replace my Dereelight Night Master, and have twice the candela.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi saabluster,

The throw with an 18650 is roughly 150Kcd. Kind of depends on the forward voltage of the LED in question. You can of course run with the extension and 2 18650s.

Can I ask, and I am not complaining, I just wouldn't want to miss out, is there a OSTS discount for CPF members, and if there is how do I go about activating it? Thanks :)
No there is no discount for OSTS.

JohnGalway

Newly Enlightened
What would be the best[FONT=Century Gothic, AppleGothic, Arial, sans-serif] RCR123's to use with it? And a good charger for them?

I use 18650's usually but I can switch them over to my existing stock for my TN31.
[/FONT]

TEEJ

Flashaholic
What would be the best RCR123's to use with it? And a good charger for them?

I use 18650's usually but I can switch them over to my existing stock for my TN31.

I'd get the AW IMR 16340's from Wonderlite on CPFM for the RCR123 function.