Tritium Ring - First Draft

GaminKWB

Newly Enlightened
So I came across Tritium one day while browsing the internet and bookmarked it. Months later I said screw it and decided to make a ring with Tritium. I used some freebie online CAD software. The ring was 3D printed in black plastic. My first order of Tritium vials were of separate colors, so I could check them out. I got them in the mail on Wednesday and decided to pop them in. So my first incarnation is a Tritium Rainbow Ring.

Let me know what you guys think.

-Kevin

X_Marine

Enlightened
Looks unique but I know how delicate trits are and I would be afraid of busting one of those. Hopefully they are in protective sleeves.
Best of luck with emm.
X/BillyD..

GaminKWB

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking you need to make me one! Very cool.
Thanks. Its a first run and I got lucky the ring actually fits. The 3D printing isn't very cost effective and it cost me about $20 for the plastic ring (Printing Cost/Material Cost/Shipping/etc). The Trits are from B@rt.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Thanks again.

Looks unique but I know how delicate trits are and I would be afraid of busting one of those. Hopefully they are in protective sleeves.
Best of luck with emm.
X/BillyD..
They are bare right now. The ring 'bridge' it the main form of protection right now. The gaps on either side are only 1.5mm wide. I think it would take something odd to happen to get in there and fracture the vial. I don't think blunt force on the ring itself would cause damage. I'm going to have to wear it a while and test.

I'm hoping to have a 'final design' in Titanium, but the only 3D printers right now that use titanium is the standard silvery color. Plus the cost for 3D printing in Titanium is around $150. I don't think the design can be formed from solid titanium, due to the opening in the back of the ring for the trits to slip into.

I could make a bunch of bare rings and sell them off (and have people go to B@rt for the trits). But how much would someone be willing to pay for a plastic ring? I'm sure I could get more by reselling the trits, but then I am in the business of importing them, which I'm not sure I want to do.

IleneHoward

Newly Enlightened
This Tritium Ring is very cool and besides it also glows in the dark and I also love the combination of color.

JohnDrakeMI6

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody! This is Jpohn.
I am new to this Forum and I am so glad someone had the "courage" to finally make a ring that glows in the dark like Tritium!!! Tritium is usually reserved for watches, compasses and gun sights. I am former L.E. and am very familiar with gun sights and the little key chain vials you can order from England in a Lexan like hard plastic. Very cool!

I have green , blue and red and they are in order of Brightness.

I have an idea and wanted to see if a similar Tungsten Carbide ring can be made with a thin line around the circumference can be made?

Or a larger thicker band of Green Tritium "centered" in the middle around the circumference??? This "isotope" glows 24/7 but becomes brighter in UV or Black light....Nice to have in the complete dark.

These previous designs are very nice, but I am thinking of a more horizontal design. I also have several other rings, but one is made of an isotope material that has to be "charged" by a flash light, UV or the sun light. The longer it's left in the sun light, the brighter and longer it will stay glowing.

There is no end to the type of jewelry ideas for Tritium! Rings, ear rings, bracelets, etc...I also had a similar idea for glowing eyes to a gold Tiki pendant I bought in Hawaii. Everyone looked at me like I was weird. In the mean time I had a jeweler friend of mine put some small fiery looking citrine or ruby. Still not as good as fire Opal or the glowing Tritium.

I've got to have Tritium, unless they come up with something else??? I like Tungsten best so far, or Ceramic but Tungsten is the best in my opinion unless you are rich and can afford Platinum or something.

After this project, I want a laser built into a ring!!! ...and then...........OMG! The possibilities!!