Updated - Malkoff MDC HA First Impressions

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updated - full review added here.

I haven't felt like writing any reviews lately. Granted, there are lots of cool lights being introduced regularly, but these lights are typically variations on something that's already out there. And there are so many true reviewers out there that do such great jobs with their reviews!

But there are 5 particular American builders who I pay particular interest to…the "4 Ms" (McGizmo, Malkoff, Mac and Milky) plus the one and only Data. 4MD?

Gene Malkoff announced the MDC back in December. Like many others on this forum and elsewhere, I have a huge appreciation for the quality of Malkoff products, but even more appreciation for Gene and Cathy. IMHO, they exemplify kindness, honesty, fair dealings and the true American entrepreneurial spirit. A great success story – if you haven't already read about how Gene got started, you ought to take a minute and read the story HERE.

And to this day I find my collections of Malkoff lights to be among my most used.

So when the MDC was revealed, I was naturally pleased to see it and ready to jump on one or two as soon as they were available. As more and more details were revealed, excitement was so-so, but still I knew I'd want a couple.

So my first choice was this one – the MDC HA. I did consider the MDC HA SHO, but wanted a multi level for my first acquisition. (Still may get an SHO.) Next for me will be an AA variant.
IMG_7788-002.JPG

So let's keep it brief. The quality of the light is apparent. My light has nice, even anodizing and a smooth finish. I thought at first that it would be slippery, but these 'slots' in the body of the light add grip. It has a rock solid feel to it.
IMG_7792-002.JPG

The nice, flat areas on the head (as well as the clip) help to prevent the light from rolling.

IMG_7791-002.JPG

The beam is typical Malkoff /McGizmo with the cool white emitter and the McGizmo reflector.

IMG_7790-002.JPG

Gene shows 200/60 lumen in his specs – my light reads 210 and 80 in my home made sphere. The beam throws fairly well with good spill, and has a beautiful almost neutral white tint. Not the slightest hint of blue or green – just a nice white tint. In this photo you can see the tint compared to a Milky ML1 Extreme with an SSC P4 U2SW0H emitter (known for being very snowy white.)

DSC00148-002.JPG

Many have wished out loud for a lower low. I, too, like a low setting for moving around the house at night without disturbing my wife or messing up my night-adjusted vision. But maybe that doesn't apply to this light. It's a daily carry light, and what I've noticed on the 3 times I've used it outdoors (with a Hound Dog in backup ;) ) walking my dog in the dark is what we all probably already know – there's not much discernable difference in the high or low setting. So why have both settings? Run time! Gene's stated estimated run times are 75 minutes on high and 300 minutes on low. I haven't tested the run time, but if I can get 4x run time with the minimal difference in perceived output, that's actually probably more useful to me than a lower low. This light isn't intended to take over for my uber low night lights anyway.

While strobe isn't a big deal for me, I can see were this could be of great use for signaling – just like Gene said. It's not a tactical light – it's not going to blind anyone – but if you want to get a buddy's attention across a lake or field, this would do a nice job. Maybe this short video can give you an idea of the strobe.

I'm not a big fan of clips, but quality clips are very much appreciated. This one is solid and attractive, and while it prevents 100% stable tail standing, it will still tail stand. And I considered taking it off (Torx screws) but for now it's staying on. I like the extra grip.

IMG_7789-002.JPG

IMG_7793-002.JPG

The weight is awesome. It's so nice and lightweight. Almost un-noticed in my pocket.

The size is really nice for an EDC. Here it is next to some well known lights, left to right:
McGizmo Haiku, Malkoff MDC, Surefire L1, Malkoff MD3 body with MD2 head, Hound Dog with MD3 body, Wildcat with MD4 body. (I have an MD2 turn key but it's in my truck and I was too lazy to go get it.) :eek:

IMG_7796-002.JPG

So there you go – a mini review/first impressions. It's a keeper – it combines many of the things that we all love about Malkoff lights into a smaller, easily pocketable package. And while, as stated early in this post, I was only "so-so" excited, maybe that is the real point. This is a great, quality, useable tool that has a great chance of being in my pocket when I need it, and working when I want it to. Nothing fancy, just a very high quality small light - and made in America for those of us who that is important to. And that's a good definition of "Daily Carry" and I believe that the MDC will find its way into being just that – Malkoff Daily Carry light. Great job, Gene!

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Re: Malkoff MDC HA First Impressions

Thanks for the nice overview, Dan! Nicely done as always. I like the look of that HA... :)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice,

That's a very good point you made about the extended run time on Low, with not much discernible loss of useful illiumination.
Kind of a different purpose for the Low setting than we are accustomed to.

Imon

Enlightened

Yes!
Thank you for the review run4jc!

This light caught my attention a few weeks ago but I've been hesitant to say anything about it, or buy one, because it has a strobe mode.
Still, Malkoff products intrigue me and I was wondering when someone would do a review on it. I used to own a Malkoff M61 and it has, what I consider to be, the perfect beam. The hotspot tapers off smoothly and gradually into the spill with no rings around the edges.

I hope they do a second run of the MDC without strobe then I just might have to pick one up. :cool:

Imon

Enlightened

Imon - there is a single speed version, the MDC HA SHO - 300 lumen with only one level. 45-60 minute estimated run time...

:thumbsup:

Yeah... I know :(

But for a EDC light I'd love a multi-mode light. I supposed I've been spoiled EDCing a HDS for the past 3-4 years.
I love the super low modes and the programmability of the light. I suppose when I first heard about the MDC I thought it would seriously rival the HDS. Still, the price of the MDC is great for an American-made light. I'll keep my eyes on the MDC for future revision.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yeah... I know :(

But for a EDC light I'd love a multi-mode light. I supposed I've been spoiled EDCing a HDS for the past 3-4 years.
I love the super low modes and the programmability of the light. I suppose when I first heard about the MDC I thought it would seriously rival the HDS. Still, the price of the MDC is great for an American-made light. I'll keep my eyes on the MDC for future revision.

I understand that it is not everything that you want, and I feel similar.
But, it is a very good light in its own way, and as time goes on there may be some UI options which don't exist in this light right now.
This is Gene's first foray into this market, and he's done an admirable job for his initial effort, IMO. Henry's ARC and HDS lights weren't perfect the first time out, either. He refined them over the years.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just received my MDC HA as well and I agree with you on almost all points. I think I could do without the strobe, but I don't know if I would change the low despite usually liking a really low low. For the way this light will be used, the low is great. In fact, with the low as useful as it is, I wouldn't mind it coming on in low.

Thanks for the review.

-G

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe a 3 mode H-M-L, or L-M-H? With the low being a moonlight type low mode. I personally am not a big fan of blinky/flashy/strobe modes. I am not sure if the strobe could be reprogrammed to a moonlight type low?

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened

Couldn't resist any longer and had to snatch up two! I've had a SureFire E1e with VME head and M31L dropin and it's a great size. But the M31L was already a compromise because I didn't want the low runtime of the full-power M31. So the multi-mode MDC should take care of that. It also addresses my other complaint with the E1e, and that is the absolutely useless pocket clip. So the MDC should be pretty good! :D

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff MDC HA First Impressions

The more I carry it the more I like it. Mine seems to throw slightly better than my MD2/M61 combination and is within a few lumen of the brightness - nothing that the eyes can really notice.

The light weight and solid "I am Malkoff" construction are perfect. Yup - I'm gonna hafta get an MDC HA SHO!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened

I took the clip off of mine, and without it, it rolls off a table faster than a Hot Wheel! I'm just careful not to put it down on its side unless it is up against something.

If he puts out an AA SHO, I would be all over it! :)

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I took the clip off of mine, and without it, it rolls off a table faster than a Hot Wheel! I'm just careful not to put it down on its side unless it is up against something.

If Gene puts out an AA SHO MDC that actually gives 300 lumens on a single AA Eneloop, then it will be the highest output single AA EDC light(not including 14500).
I would LOVE to see that.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

IMG_7791-002.JPG

Yeah, the flat head sections are bordered by round sections, so the flats don't contact the table, etc...and it rolls right off on the round sections like wheels.

:D

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened

I received mine yesterday and it is really very very nice!!!! Very small and slim, it makes my M31L in a VME head with E1e body feel bulky.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

If Gene puts out an AA SHO MDC that actually gives 300 lumens on a single AA Eneloop, then it will be the highest output single AA EDC light(not including 14500).
I would LOVE to see that.

With a run time of about 15 minutes. :D Surefire just advertised their "new" version of the Backup. Looks very, very similar to the MDC! Runs on 1 CR123A. 200 lumens.