• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WIP: Tungsten Flashlight

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlockofW_zps2060cb27.jpg

That little block of Tungsten, which is 1" x 1" x 2 3/16", weighs 1 pound, six ounces.

Question is, what should I do with it? Make a not-pocket-friendly flashlight, or cut it into a couple of 1" squares and make two decorative paperweights?

Maybe I'll go see how good W is at conducting heat first, before deciding. :confused:

EDIT:

Not that bad:

W: Thermal conductivity 173 W/mK−
6061AL: Thermal Conductivity 167 W/m-K

Last edited:

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tungsten Flashlight, or something else?

"1 pound, six ounces."

Very exciting man,

My vote is for you to make a light out of it.

I will be watching this for sure

tjswarbrick

Enlightened

Hi Fred,
Paperweights would be such a waste...

I think you have your conductivities backward. My sources tell me it's slightly lower than AL, not slightly higher - though, realistically, they're within experimental error of each other. Still just under 1/2 as good as copper, and 10 times better than 300-series stainless or Titanium. All of which have been used successfully in flashlights. So I think you're covered there.
I've seen a thread where a couple people requested a tungsten light - you'd probably have no trouble selling it.
With W's intrinsic hardness and strength, you could make it barely larger than the battery it surrounds. Which would keep weight down a bit, and could be its claim to fame.
Any idea how hard it is to mill?
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll let you know re the machinability real soon--I think I'll turn it down to a cylinder tomorrow.

I pulled those thermal conductivity numbers from Wikipedia--usually fairly reliable, but certainly not the authoritative source.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

You'd probably get more profit from it making bezels, but the advertising power of a solid tungsten light can't be denied..

And it has just fine thermal characteristics, bearing in mind Al is always coated in something which reduces its heat conductivity:

hardnesstu.jpg

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about an area lamp along the lines of the Jillite Constel or Maratac TLL? I see a nice clear white dome on it with some great machining designs on the sides of the cube. Maybe a pressure switch on the bottom to activate it. You could keep the most mass, that's for sure. :D

archimedes

Flashaholic

I'd be very interested, depending on price ... :D

My vote would be for a "Tungsten CR2 Fatty" - :thumbsup:

Weight is not a concern :devil:

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am pretty excited to see this one evolve, would be cool if it took 18350 cells and aleph light engines. That would give power and upgrade ability in the future

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am pretty excited to see this one evolve, would be cool if it took 18350 cells and aleph light engines. That would give power and upgrade ability in the future

Not a bad idea--but it might have to be a mule since the bar is only 2" long. I think that I might already have an Aleph LE on hand, too.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looking at those numbers tungsten seems like one hell of a metal. Harder to machine than titanium? Or am I reading it wrong?

Make a mule...I saw an interesting design around here somewhere ;)

lol

persco

Enlightened

Make me a La Petite Killer with it...:twothumbs

[edit] oops... Shado and I think alike, obviously.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Too bad milling wastes a lot of material. Maybe make several small square (or long cube) lights.

:D