surefire 6p

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all. Ive been trying to find info on these lights as I've found one for a good price. All the info I can find has to do with upgrading to LED's which I don't want to do as I wish to keep it as an incan. So I see they use cr123 batts and rcrs will flash the bulb. Even Lifepo4 cells seem to be a problem even with their lower voltage. Any rechargeable solution? Also I've seen it recommended to bore out the body and use 18650 cells. But that's only 1 3.7v battery when it need 2x3v batteries. Wouldn't that greatly underdrive the bulb? And lastly I've found other assemblies to install but that could get expensive when needing to change incan bulbs when they need it. Where to find just $3 or so bulbs instead of entire assemblies? Like just replacing to a factory bulb?

scout24

Flashaholic
Welcome! Factory bulbs are not $3.00, the P60 lamp assemblies cost a bit more than that. Lumensfactory, who has been around here for a long time, has their HO-4 and EO-4 lamps that will run on 17670 cells which should fit your 6P without boring. They are 12+/- dollars apiece, but you end up saving serious $$$ using the rechargable 17670's. Enjoy knowing your 6P is probably the most versatile platform in the flashlight universe... :)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I went to their website and had a hard time navigating it because I couldn't find the "p" assemblies. What I meant about cheap bulbs is can't you just install a new bulb like maglites instead of buying a whole assembly? I don't need a new spring and all that when the bulb goes just a new bulb. And thank you for the links five mega. I'm currently reading http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...arison-chart&p=1970369&viewfull=1#post1970369 which has a wealth of knowledge and I'll check out the links you provided when I'm done

scout24

Flashaholic
Fivemega- Thank you for pointing out the lower cost rechargable 10w replacement lamp assemblies. I was unaware of them until now! :eek:

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. Good link. The more I read about these the more I'm convinced I want one. I'm actually now looking at the solarforce L2 series as they take 18650's and are apparently very good quality for the price and a good way for me to get my foot in the door for these p60 based lights. So can they run on AW flat top cells? And reading the compatability on Lumens Factory website their 4V incan assemblies don't look like they work with 6p/9p or other lights but a select few. I thought these worked with any p60 light?

Brigadier

Enlightened
Another option is a SF P90 or LF HO-9/EO-9/IMR-9 and IMR16340's if you do not wish to bore the body.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I'm wondering if the surefire p60 will run on an 18650 battery. I know it may be underdriven, but I'm not looking for tactical brightness. What I want to know is if it will work. I'm hoping for 40 - 50 lumens...

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will work, but try a very yellow about 25 lumens. I was testing various LED D26 dropins in an original G2 I picked up, and inadvertently put the P60 back in with my 16650 cell. It worked, and it would probably run for a real long time, but it was not very bright at all, and very yellow. I don't think you would be happy with it at all. The P60 is really only good with two CR123s. Two LiIon will pop it, even with the 3.2v rated cells. You could check with Vinh and see if there is anything he can do for you, or contact Lumens Factory and see if they have an incandescent bulb they could put in a P60 shell. It wouldn't be cheap, but it will keep it incandescent.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not able to accurately measure lumens, but I can measure lux via ceiling bounce test in my small 1/2 bath. A P60 delivers 27 lux from two CR123s (showing 3.15v at rest) and 15 lux from a fully charged Samsung INR18650-25R.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if the surefire p60 will run on an 18650 battery. I know it may be underdriven
Fully recharged IMR 18650 will do slightly better (less underdriven) compare to protected 18650
Best choice for rechargeable P60 is 4 NiMH (Eneloop)
For slightly overdriven P60 use 2P/2S primary CR123A

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
I tried it and the p60 works with 1x18650 lmr. As long as I recharge the battery by 4.0 or 3.9v the p60 seems to work pretty well. I have also tried a p90 with 2x18350 lmr. This seemed pretty bright and I'm not actually sure if this setup is under driving, overdriving, or running the p90 "just right". Any opinions?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the P90 you are just about evenly matched. From what I understand, the standard CR123, rated at 3v, actually drops to 2.5v or so under load. So three CR123a cells will really be delivering somewhere around 7.5v to 8v, which is what the p90 was designed to use. A freshly recharged 18350 will deliver 4.2v, and slowly drop down to its end voltage, which should be no more than 3.5v. So two freshly charged 18350s will start at 8.4v and slowly drop to 7v, matching very closely what the p90 is looking for. You might be running a slight risk of prematurely aging the P90 with fresh cells, but I think it would be worth it to get the full output without having to use primary cells.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried it and the p60 works with 1x18650 lmr. As long as I recharge the battery by 4.0 or 3.9v the p60 seems to work pretty well. I have also tried a p90 with 2x18350 lmr. This seemed pretty bright and I'm not actually sure if this setup is under driving, overdriving, or running the p90 "just right". Any opinions?

FM is probably the authority here, but I've read that the P90 is only slightly overdriven, and is a great option to use with two lithium ions.