• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WIP -- Tungsten AA Light

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start with this:

W-AA_WIP-1_zps3649a2cb.jpg

A 97% Tungsten bar, 3/4" diameter by 12" long.

Cut off a couple of pieces and get to work:

W-AA_WIP-3_zps39c50f89.jpg

As machined--haven't cleaned it up yet.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Any idea what the intact bar originally weighed ... ? :D

EDIT - I calculate over 14-1/2 pounds (!) :eek:

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
Any idea what the intact bar originally weighed ... ? :D

EDIT - I calculate over 14-1/2 pounds (!) :eek:

The actual density according to the certificate is 18.51 g/cubic centimeter.

Length (L): 12 in ≈ 30.48 cm
Radius (r): .375 in ≈ 0.9525 cm
Density (D): 18.51 g/cm^3

V = L * π * r^2

V = 30.48 cm * π * (0.9525 cm)^2 ≈ 86.875 cm^3

Mass (M) = D*V

M = 18.51 g/cm^3 * 86.875 cm^3 ≈ 1608.06 g ≈ 3.55 pounds

archimedes

Flashaholic
:ohgeez: Maybe I missed a decimal point somewhere ... :)

EDIT - I think I may have misread .75" diameter as .75" radius ... oops :crackup:

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
That's an easy mistake to make. I know I've done it before. :)

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love that final pattern Fred! Looks fantastic! Shame it doesn't anodize like Ti. Gonna be a really awesome light, no surprise there though! :)

Looking forward to the rest of the build...

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I realize that I haven't actually posted some photos of how the battery tube was made on the lathe, so I'll show some work on the head of the light, to make amends.

W-AA_WIP-4_zps2c38b119.jpg

Here's the end of the head where the battery tube will be attached. I've prepared the area to be threaded--the flat area ahead of the threads is for the O-ring landing--the O-ring being held in a groove on the battery tube, of course.

W-AA_WIP-5_zps4f07ee9b.jpg

The treads have now been machined--they are 0.5mm pitch.

W-AA_WIP-6_zps34b8ab61.jpg

And the final check on those threads, to ensure a smooth feel to the threads. I never check my threads with gauges, since I always have the mating part on hand--and how they work means more to me than whether I cut them to spec or not. :devil:

W-AA_WIP-7_zps91ee6ad8.jpg

The start of the exterior machining--the head has been placed on an expandable collet and that collet sits in a rotary indexer. So the cutting operation is basically milling. The cutting tool on the left is brought into the work to a specific depth, the part is rotated 360 degrees to cut a circumferential groove. Then the tool is advanced a bit more, the rotation repeated and then the final depth is reached in the third iteration. These are the easier cuts to do, they just take a long time.

W-AA_WIP-8_zpsc7b5e69c.jpg

And now the axial grooves are being machined. This is hardest operation to do perfectly. The placement of the cutting tool along the axis is not exactly where the circumferential grooves were machined--the width of the flat between the grooves is 0.127mm, so the beginning and end measurements are either increased/decreased by 0.06mm to ensure that the cutter does nor mar the circumferential grooves' surfaces. With each section having four cuts, and with five sections around the circumference, that means twenty cuts, each of which require three passes to get to the right depth--so a total of 60 cuts just for one section, and a grand total of 180 cuts to complete the head.

And did I mention that there were three sections on the battery tube, also? :shakehead :D

W-AA_WIP-10_zpsf258d7f8.jpg

A trip to the buffing wheel to take some of the sharp edges down a tad, then to the hot detergent wash to clean off the buffing compounds before posing for the camera.

W-AA_WIP-11_zpsce9fb468.jpg

Front of the light on the left--showing the bevel to the lens.

W-AA_WIP-12_zpsbe1134ec.jpg

Close-up shot.

Overall, I'm pleased with how it is progressing. The light bouncing off the pyramids when turned in your hand is quite entrancing, actually.

Trave11er

Newly Enlightened
... And now the axial grooves are being machined. This is hardest operation to do perfectly ... a total of 60 cuts just for one section, and a grand total of 180 cuts to complete the head...

W-AA_WIP-11_zpsce9fb468.jpg
Fred, Fred, Fred... you're killing us here!!! That is simply divine - and what else could it be with all that hard work!!!

This one's got me sitting on the edge of my chair... :wow:

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall you saying what cell this one takes? 14500? Will this also be utilizing your PICcolo driver? Or will that be left open as an option for the buyer?

Want a challenge for the next one? Make the areas of pyramids on different rotating rings such that it would be similar to a puzzle, align the pyramids in different formations to access the modes of the light....all in a row for Hi, alternating P-G-P for lo with P-G-G for Med or something like that. ;)

Well done Fred, constantly amazed. Wish I could come over and watch the work while taking HD video. I'd probably be so amazed at each "turn" of events that I'd forget to start the camera! lol

Dale

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light will have a rechargeable 14500 Lithium-ion battery. As for the driver, it could depend on what someone wants in there, but most likely I would try to install the PICcolo driver when it is completed.

Really, I have enough challenges already, thank you. :devil:

Zandar

Enlightened
DBCstm, In consideration of how busy you are with the Texas Poker light, I'll gladly take the the laborious task of testing this light (say 8 to 10 years) ,off your shoulders my friend!

DBCstm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alex, shhhh! I think he's considering it! Oh, wait, that's actually the sound of laughter from 1535 miles away. Dang!

Fred, do you know if you'll be using an XP-G2 emitter or will that also be an option to be considered by the buyer? How do you design the light without knowing what emitter will go into it, is it difficult to find the proper reflector or TIR sized to fit the light and an array of various sized emitters? I can see where headaches could occur on a daily basis! lol

Nice, though, that you leave that an open option for a better Universal fit to the new owner. Again, nicely done on the attention to detail. ;)

Dale

Zandar

Enlightened
Fred, if you keep going this way,constantly innovating and pushing the boundaries of what many here have called"functional art" ,I think the expression "you've outdone yourself" will soon become meaningless. I think what Dale is really saying, is that it's time for the next evolution in PhotonFanatic lights.Yes I'm talking about the fabled "Indiana Jones" puzzle light! Come on Fred after conquering the "transparent aluminium light" ,we all know your more than ready for a "real" challenge now. Let the new paradigm begin!

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
. .

Fred, do you know if you'll be using an XP-G2 emitter or will that also be an option to be considered by the buyer? How do you design the light without knowing what emitter will go into it, is it difficult to find the proper reflector or TIR sized to fit the light and an array of various sized emitters? I can see where headaches could occur on a daily basis! lol

Nice, though, that you leave that an open option for a better Universal fit to the new owner. Again, nicely done on the attention to detail. ;)

Dale

When I start to design a light, I work with what I have on hand for emitters, drivers and reflectors. I try to leave some wiggle room so that I can change one or two of those items, but I can't always guarantee that will be possible. In short, I know that I'll be able to make something at least and then leave it up to the marketplace to decide if it's worthwhile or not.