Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a big fan of the single CR2 format and there always seemed to be quite a few to chose from but no more. There aren't really any high end ones left on the market either, to speak of. Awhile ago I switched from a rotation of AAA lights on my key chain to a Quark CR2 mini and I've come to prefer it because of its high output for its size and short profile. For me, AAA lights would always hit my knee when my keys are in the ignition of my truck and the Quark was the perfect solution. My concerns about the wider diameter of the light were unfounded and I've come to love it! It's great to have that kind of power on a key chain light. It's also a fun light to deploy around non-flashaholics who never fail to be blown away by the output/size ratio. With exception of the Quark and the Nitecore Sens Mini there really don't seem to be too many CR2 options out there anymore. I've been thinking of buying a Mini MLR2 with the newer XP-G2 emitter as an upgrade to the Quark CR2 Mini while keeping the old light as a spare but they have been on back order for awhile now and I fear they may discontinued. The Nitecore Sens Mini is a longer light and I'm not a fan of the UI. Perhaps there is something on the market I'm unaware of?

Is this the end of the CR2 format?

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Re: Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed.

Although difficult to get now, due to the apparent lack of US distribution (at least as far as I know), JiL Lite still makes high quality CR2 torches :twothumbs

There are also limited run custom lights, like those from Muyshondt, Photon Fanatic, etc....

RMSK seems to still have some stock of the Peak Volcan, as well :)

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Muyshondt site is only showing the CP II Titanium available at the moment at 425 dollars. In fact, I looked at the Muyshondt site few weeks ago and there was nothing available at all and as the site hadn't been updated since 2011 I wondered if it was defunct. It probably didn't matter for me 'cause in my world 425 dollars is more than I am willing to spend on a key chain light and as cool as they are I think of lights like that as being more like jewelry than EDC. Losing my keys would be bad enough as it is! :eek: Pretty much the same for most of the Photon Fanatics and Jil Lites seem to be unavailable here.

For me the Quarks are the perfect solution for a key chain because they offer durability and performance at a modest price. If I were to lose one, I'd be bummed but it wouldn't quite ruin my day the same way as if I grabbed my keys and discovered that my Muyshondt was missing.

Anyway, I'm delighted to receive suggestions about another CR2 light but if I were merely looking for another light I probably would have put this thread in the "Recommend me a Light Forum". I think my intention was more to generate some discussion about the format and why are there fewer and fewer being offered by manufacturers. Am I the only one who loves this format in an affordable EDC version who would hate to see them completely disappear?

archimedes

Flashaholic

Well ... the Peak I mentioned is only about $40 (in aluminum) ;)

I, too, like the CR2 format. However, its relative lack of popularity is largely due to a couple of factors, as far as I can tell -

* less capacity than CR123A
* much more costly (primary) batteries
* battery type less readily available

Although there will be substantial variations among brands in terms of price and capacity, roughly speaking (compared to CR123A), one may pay double ... for half of the mAh.

I am more than willing to accept these limitations, in exchange for the slightly smaller size, because -

* even a slightly smaller size is valuable in a "keyring" torch
* most "keyring" torches are run at moderate or low output
* "keyring" torches are often used only occasionally, and in relatively short bursts
* some CR2 torches can use RCR2 (15266) Li-Ion rechargeable cells

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

archimedes, for some reason I totally missed your mention of the Peak and that is certainly a worthy option!

I would agree with pretty much everything you've said in your last post except the cost of the batteries. With Battery Junction selling Titanium Innovations CR2 primaries at a dollar apiece I never worry about the cost. Li-Ions are something I've stayed away from in the CR2 size since there are no protected options. Using a CR2 on a keychain there have been a few times when I've needed the light to last until it has little or nothing left to give and I wouldn't want to push an unprotected Li-Ion that far. More often than not though I find that the light on my key chain gets used for relatively short bursts occasionally and the battery lasts a long time. If I'm going to be away from home for awhile I'll carry a spare or swap in a fresh cell.

Of course, the CR2 Mini isn't usually the only light I have on me. :D

Last edited:

TIP AND RING

Enlightened

You are not alone, I use and carry CR2 lights as coin pocket lights. Right now my favorites are the FireWorm CR2 and the Quark Ti Cr2 and Jil DD. Not a real big fan of Ti, but these were purchased for under $50.00 each.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Are CR2 flashlights a dying breed.

How does the little hole for the split ring on the Quark hold up when on a key ring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've always liked the Fireworm but it is 60mm long which is the same length as the Quark Mini-ML or Mini ML-X Cr123 lights. I have one of these but it doesn't work on my key chain quite the way the Cr2 Mini does. If the Quarks were to become unavailable though I would certainly consider a Fireworm or a Peak.

As for that little hole where the split ring mounts on a Quark Mini CR2, it is secure enough after about a year of use on my key ring that I've never thought about it.

TIP AND RING

Enlightened

Oh..agreed about the Fireworm, its about the same size as my Fenix E15. The Fireworm has a almost sunlight tint though.I have never seen a tint this close to sunlight before. I have not tried a Peak yet either, but I bet a brass or SS CR2 would be somewhat unique and heavy.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
This post mentions the same thing about the sunlight quality of the tint. That would really appeal to me as I've become somewhat addicted to neutral/warm tints. In fact, I've been holding off buying on a new Zebralight SC52 until it is available in neutral or hi-cri. The same post I linked has a nice photo showing the size differences between the Fireworm, Quark Mini CR2 and C123.

Last edited:

TIP AND RING

Enlightened

This post mentions the same thing about the sunlight quality of the tint. That would really appeal to me as I've become somewhat addicted to neutral/warm tints. In fact, I've been holding off buying on a new Zebralight SC52 until it is available in neutral or hi-cri. The same post I linked has a nice photo showing the size differences between the Fireworm, Quark Mini CR2 and C123.

But, I can't say if it isn't the led lottery. It sure is pretty for a older emitter. Wish I knew the exact bin. I am not a tint guy. But it is striking holding the FW beam to a windowsill during full daylight.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been thinking the same thing, it is an old emitter and there is no indication what bin it is. Tint lotteries aside, it is interesting that two different people would use the word sunlight to describe the color.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone own a Nitecore SENS Mini? Selfbuilts's review of this light kinda' soured me to the design of the UI but I wonder what other owners may think. Considering the theme of this thread, Nitecore seems to be the only company right now who is trying to push the envelope with the CR2 format and it's got me thinking it shouldn't be dismissed so easily even if I am kind of old school about a KISS approach to the UI on a key chain light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see no point in that format for a light,you need cells that are easy and inexpensive to locate,shame though as i like the idea for myself but it has to be a nono for joe public.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess the point of a light like this is the approximately 180 lumens of flood and throw you can get out of a 50mm - 60mm long x 20 mm wide flashlight. Here in the USA, CR2 cells are widely available in just about every supermarket, pharmacy or big box store but indeed, they tend to be quite expensive; in the neighborhood of 5 dollars USD each. As previously noted, good quality CR2 lithium primaries are available online for 1 dollar or less which changes the equation for such lights. I agree that this category of light is not for Joe Public but then again, most lights discussed in these forums are not for Joe Public either.

Last edited:

scsmith

Newly Enlightened
I guess the point of a light like this is the approximately 180 lumens of flood and throw you can get out of a 50mm - 60mm long x 20 mm wide flashlight... ...I agree that this category of light is not for Joe Public but then again, most lights discussed in these forums are not for Joe Public either.
So I had to look up the dimensions of the CR2, which are roughly 15mm x 27mm, vs. the 16mm x 34mm nominal size of a CR123. There are some pretty small CR123 keyring lights already available. Just about every gun store and hunting & fishing outfitter in the US now carries Surefire or Streamlight, Lowe's and Home Depot are selling Surefire, and even REI is selling both Fenix and Surefire. We're also coming out of over ten years of war that the US Military and its allies were engaged in. That's ten years of veterans who were either issued lights like Surefire, Streamlight, or Inova; or had ready access to them at discounted prices through AAFES. The great majority of these lights are powered by CR123 cells. Those vets (myself amongst them) got exposed to quality lights, and now can't go back to cheap lights. I think all of this has caused CR123 batteries to become pretty widely accepted by the general public.

I also think many here are like me, and only have CR123 primaries on hand as backups / emergency spares for lights that they usually run with a single 18650 / 17670 rechargeable or a pair of 18500 / 17500 rechargeable cells. I also have a homemade spacer tube to allow me to run a pair of AA or 14450 lithium cells in a 3x cr123 size body. I gather from reading here that many folks also use AA / AAA cells either primarily or in conjunction with batteries like those previously mentioned. I guess that the CR2 just doesn't fit well into battery stocks, even for many folks here who are very serious about their lights.

I write all that to get to the point that I think many even here, if they want to go smaller than a CR123 or AAA key chain light, would go to something even smaller like the Veleno designs Quantum D2. The QD2 is listed at 150 lumen output, which is really close to your stated 180 lumen output, and it does this in a 13mm x 38mm package. I know I'd grab a QDD or QD2, a spare usb charger (one for home & one for my vehicle), and a spare 10180 cell or two before I went to a CR2 powered light.

I do see the merits of the smaller size of a CR2 powered light compared to a CR123 powered light though. The fact that CR2 batteries can be purchased for close to the same price as CR123 cells online, and are still available at the same inflated price as a CR123 at a grocery store or big box store most anywhere in the US does make a strong argument for such lights. I'm just not sure it's enough to overcome the factors against such lights that I've outlined above.

That's my attempt to explain why the CR2 powered light might be a dying breed.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
The last time the CR2 was considered obsolete, Nitecore came out with the EZ series and 4Sevens made the Mini. Both seemed to sell very well. Here's hoping it happens again. But in truth, as long as there are CR2 batteries, I'm content with my Nitecore CR2 EZ.