Hey! Check this out pt2! (pic heavy)

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
I hope Lightcycle doesn't mind that I posted this up, but I just wanted to share. This is the knife that I just finished for him. In that thread you will see that he requested a similar design as my camp knife, minus the gut hook. Here is the finished product and bushcraft/multi-carry style sheath. Hopefully he will chime in with his reviews as soon as his knife arrives at his door...
Cheers! Excuse the pic quality as they are cell phone pics. And the marking on the blade is my touchmark...

1e26c341644dddc8c6128528c0ab1816.jpg

51a731a84fe7f9f694b0414f2aa91893.jpg

c901b756e7d465e149b4d8cdb6369c39.jpg

The back one is my personal camp knife, which has been done for quite some time and has wear and tear on it. Also a slightly different finish:

597133ca468a6c0f01f0d77d4847edb1.jpg

Detail of multi-carry strap and back of sheath. Lower d-ring for a leg strap if so desired. The sheath can be worn horizontally, either side, drop-leg, or with just the upper belt loop high on the hip. Again, if you saw my earlier post, I can make this sheath for any reasonably sized fixed blade knife you may have for a reasonable price. I can also attach firesteel loops, ceramic stone pouches, etc. I personally just see that as extra weight on the sheath, but understand the handiness of being able to grab the whole package quickly and run!

46d8829f6df36128437cd24887921b9c.jpg

How balanced is your knife?: (Picture taken mid-process, it is the same knife just not polished out yet...)

954ef6b79e69a97a9e69f66b5d8504ad.jpg

Again, Tim, forgive me if you wanted to post the first pics, but I was particularly proud of the outcome. If I had known it would look this nice sans guthook and with the lanyard hole/glass breaker pommel, I would have made mine that way... Almost hurt to ship it out... lol. I also included a couple of small surprises for you that I didn't post up here... lol.

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
BTW... Specs are nearly the same as my personal camp knife that I previously posted. Polished micarta, red spacer, 1095 steel differentially hardened, stainless hollow pins, distressed mahogany leather with nylon stitching and all stainless hardware.

Thanks again to the CPF family for all of the positive comments previously. It is truly appreciated.

lightcycle1

Enlightened
I hope Lightcycle doesn't mind that I posted this up, but I just wanted to share. This is the knife that I just finished for him.

Dont mind at all. Its your handwork and youve got every right to post it up.
Its gorgeous. Cant wait for the mailman tomorrow.
Im very very pleased with what I see sofar. Looks amazing. Thank you Eric.
CPF'rs, this one is NOT for sale....MINE. :D:D:D:D:thumbup:

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Well the mailman came a day early, and my GF yelled to me to me that I had a package. All I can say is holeeee-crap. When I saw how the box was packed and carefully addressed and sealed, opened it up and saw the neatly trimmed bubble wrap and a beautiful padded black zipper case and the documentation envelope, I knew it was going to be something really special. Nothing is packaged that neatly and with such care. Nothing. The shipping box itself is worth saving. I was almost shaking as I zipped open the case and there it was. Heavy, thick, rich brown harness grade leather with lots of chrome hardware, the thing just reeked (literally, It even smells of oily goodness) all over of fine craftsmanship before I even hefted it. I pulled out the 1.5 page personal letter/owners manual/guarantee which was equally neatly typed and hand-signed and marked with Erics' trademark. Accompanying that was a 2 page printout of the photoshoot with my name, and date of commission of the knife, a statement of the materials used, and a guarantee that the design would never be duplicated insuring that I have a one-of-a kind piece. Totally professional presentation of the knife, this is my first custom, but quite frankly I've never seen anything else like it. Complete and utter first-class documentation and packaging and just the presentation of the piece is something to be admired. I put the paperwork away and removed the knife itself from the sheath, and was just in awe of the general quality. This thing is spectacular, hands down. Perfectly balanced feel with a finger at the top of the scales. Heavy, and seriously polished with a deep dense rich black coating to the blade with a smidgen of swirly case coloring appearing towards the grip end of the blade. The blade itself is very thick, and tapers down to a damn sharp convex edge. Not a thin, razor edge, but a good very sharp working cutter edge. The steel is smooth, and feels very hard to me. The subtle olive green micarta scales are polished and finished superbly, and everything is just smooth as silk to the touch. There is not 1 rough spot to the touch ANYWHERE on this knife. All edges are smoothed an polished everywhere. There are two thin, ruby red liners that surround the polished black tang and lanyard pommel that I described to Eric as something I desired in the knife. It's perfect. Exactly what I wanted in the glassbreaker pommel design. Eric made me a nice black paracord lanyard and a faceted hardwood wooden lanyard bead. Eric, I cannot believe what I have in my hands here, I have not seen any of your other work, but you Sir, have outdone yourself and made 1 guy a very, very happy camper. Even my girlfriend, who's first question was "how much was that?" XXX.oo$?" "Uh-huh" yeah, I replied waiting to suffer the wrath and angry verbal consequences of my purchase. When she saw it in the sheath and handled it, she didn't say another word about the cost when I handed it to her to inspect it. She said, "Wow, I've never seen anything like that. Just that sheath alone would cost a lot. It's beautiful." And that's coming from a chick. She like jewelry and such things and knows something of quality value when she see's it. This is truly an heirloom quality piece, and my son will get this someday when I pass on. I'll never sell it, ever. But, my guess would be, if one wanted to sell it, it would EASILY command 3-4 times the price I paid. I was eyeballing a Bayley custom a few years ago, it was a British maker endorsed by Bear Grylls before he went with the mass produced Gerber line and the endorsement, the Bayley knife was VERY EXPENSIVE and I can see that this package Eric has here is easily in that class. But neener, neener, it's guaranteed a one of a kind design so there won't be another like it. :nana: I cannot express how grateful to Eric I am for setting me up with this beautiful custom piece at such a fantastic price. The piece itself, and the whole overall package including the sheath, zipper case, lanyard, lanyard bead, documentation and everything is beyond all of my wildest expectations I had for the blade. Eric has also been extremely communicative over the process, sending me photos now and then without ruining the surprise of the end result, and is just generally overall a damn nice guy. Congratulations Eric, you're making it good in your bladesmithing endeavors. You'll do well. Thank you so much again. The piece is fantastic. I feel words can't do it justice. Feel free to use this review in any of your documentation or websites, and I'd be more than happy to respond to any email inquires from anybody if you wanted to use me as a reference. This is one beautiful piece of work. If you're into knives at all, give this guy a call. I will post up some pics of everything when I get a chance.

Last edited:

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
Thank you sir, your words are appreciated beyond belief. I truly enjoyed making it for you... I derive more pleasure than money could buy from making something for someone that they will use, cherish, and pass on. And remember, I stand behind my knives. If you ever need anything... call.
Cheers!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
And BTW, if I haven't covered it in my two threads, pm me for anything you might need. I smith tools, knives, make sheaths, etc... pretty much anything you can dream up. Except flashlights... I tried my hand at that and leave it to the guys with a true talent for it...

lightcycle1

Enlightened
Put it into service already. Camp duty during a storm the other night, had to lash down a few things, cut some rope and cord and dismember a couple cardboard boxes. Very sturdy knife.
Today back up the campsite, just some pretty pictures.

ajugaryg.jpg

ygehyqe4.jpg

sabegu8u.jpg

6epa7aru.jpg

ze5yvaga.jpg

anurepep.jpg

Even my cat likes it! Great fun that lanyard and wooden bead.....

2y4udu3e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
Terrific pictures. I am extremely glad you pushed her straight into service! Maybe I can add "cat toy" to the list of standard features for my knife lanyards... lol.

Norm

Retired Administrator
lightcycle1 Your images are oversize, when you post an image please remember Rule #3

Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels.

Please resize and repost. - Thanks Norm

Gun

Newly Enlightened
That's a very nice knife :)

Can anyone clarify the Australian Knife laws? Are they banned altogether or not?

Norm

Retired Administrator
Are they banned altogether or not?

Camping and outdoors shops stock plenty of knifes, so obviously not.

You might find more information here Knife Laws in Australia??

Some one your age needs to discuss the topic with DAD, carrying a knife whilst camping in the bush is one thing but EDCing a knife on an everyday basis is a totaly diferent matter.

Norm