Prometheus Lights: AAA Beta-QR LIVE on Kickstarter

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi everyone! I'm really excited to make this post. I'm not even announcing this on my blog until wednesday. I've been working on this concept for about a year, and I just applied for a provisional patent so I can start showing the design around. That doesn't really generate a lot of security, but if you see this pop up somewhere else, be sure to let people know you saw it here first!

The images below are "beta" prototypes and fully functional. More than likely, the production versions will be offered in Type III hard anodize (with knurling) and Electroless Nickel (with fine flutes or smooth head) to match my other offerings.

If you are interested in seeing this light make it to production, please post a comment below!

You may also sign up on the email list so you'll be notified when this project launches.

9b048d08aa4cbf979445ea260cb5175d_large.jpg

The new light is just over 1/2" in diameter and 3" long, not including the QR portion. In keeping with the Prometheus focus on high-quality "usable" light, this model will feature the 92+ CRI Nichia 219 LED (4500K neutral white). This means it won't have the most output of "any" AAA light, but it will have superior color accuracy for when you really "need" to have some extra light. I'm not aware of any AAA light on the market that comes standard with the 219, but the light quality is nothing short of spectacular.

b4f3c57d23cfb90665f4ef1eb8fb04b6_large.jpg

Output is expected to be around 60 lumens with two modes, "low-low" and full power. If you haven't already heard it around the forum, "low-low" is really-low and is excellent for use with night-adapted vision. On high, this little wonder is still as bright as the old incandescent "cop" MagLite that takes two D cell batteries. Did I mention it fits on your keychain?

Features that are "fixed" and not expected to change:

• UI: Two mode twisty - low-low (~10 lumens) and high (~60 lumens)
  • Battery: single AAA Alkaline or Ni-Mh (NO li-ion)
  • Quick Release Mechanism (NO pocket clips or non-QR version)
  • LED: Nichia 219 - 92+ CRI & 4500K CCT
  • Reflector: Light orange peel
  • Window: AR coated glass
  • Finishes: Electroless Nickel (smooth or fluted head) and HA III natural (knurled head)
  • Made in: China by a reputable flashlight manufacturer
  • Price: (approximate) $60.00 USD

Last edited:

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Re: SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

That looks terrific! I'll start with an EN plated one, but I'd love to see a Ti version. I really like the knurling on the HA version, though...

Can you explain how the UI is going to work?

phoenix.stu

Newly Enlightened

I would likely be interested in one once they hit production. Idea in the price range?

nbp

Flashaholic

Beautiful! I'd love to put one of those on my keychain. :rock:

revolver

Newly Enlightened

Looks great! I had a similar idea before using the knurled Amflo quick release adapters, but since I lack the machining skills you possess I could never actually get it off the ground. I'm wondering though, are the quick releases you are using off the shelf components? I have had quite a few similar looking quick releases over the years and they've all had rather spotty/loose mechanisms. Yours look quite a bit beefier, so hopefully they're upgraded from what you can get normally! Either way.. You should add knurling :thumbsup:

sassaquin

Enlightened

I've been waiting a long time for a small Prometheus light and am very excited to see a AAA keychain light prototype.

Overall, I like the design of the fluted EN version, but feel the quick release mechanism and split ring are too large for such a small light. Great choice on using a Nichia 219 high CRI LED, as welll as including a moonlight mode.

Please keep us updated as this light develops. :)

Paloa

Newly Enlightened
SNEAK PEAK! Prometheus AAA Quick Release Keychain Flashlight

What is run time on full power. Looks like a great light. I am very interested.

climberkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

I sure don't need it, but I'll take it!
Prometheus Ready Made, Prometheus Writes, and Prometheus AAA.

boboakalfb

Newly Enlightened

EN plated for me...

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent looking light. Love the "quick release" angle. I'd be in for a Hard Anodized version for sure. The Nichia 219 is an great choice, since it will be used for close up work! Are they done yet? lol

Any room on it for 2 trit slots?

Last edited:

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

This looks great. Those type of quick release devices have been a favorite of mine for keychain use for many years. I don't know how hard it is to implement, but I'll say that by far my favorite AAA keychain lights have been those that you tighten the head a little bit for moonlight mode and tighten it all the way for high output.

These really would make for a snazzy trio with the Prometheus and the Writes.

archer6817j

Enlightened

Hey all, thanks for the responses so far! To answer a few questions:

1. UI is a twisty with no memory, moonlight is always first
  2. These will utilize an off-the-shelf QR but I've selected a "better made" one from the given options. The body will also be machined with tighter tolerance than the normal receptacle on a QR keychain. It will be a tad loose but not sloppy like the keychain QRs you might already own.
  3. The QR itself is fixed in size but it might be possible to get a smaller ring. Right now it's a standard 1" size ring that is already on your keys...or this one can replace whatever you have now. Going smaller makes it incredibly difficult to separate the ring segments to load/unload the ring...unless you go with really poor quality material. I do have one trick up my sleeve but I don't know if it will make it to production or not :)
  4. No idea on the run time, but it will be on par with any standard single AAA light
  5. Price will be "reasonable" ... probably around $60 but they will be made by a reputable flashlight manufacturer in China, not in my shop. I may have an "in house" version but that will be (if it happens) around double the price.

gunga

Flashaholic

Looks cool. Stainless makes sense to me. Would like a usable medium mode tho (say 10-20 lumens).

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks and sound great. I'm in for a EN plated version or stainless for my second choice.

mattp

Enlightened

The light looks great, I love the use of the 219 in a AAA light. I'd definitely buy one in titanium or even stainless, but I'm not so keen on the plated aluminium. As others mentioned the quick release could make me nervous also, I've got a McGizmo Sapphire on a Ti clip so appreciate it the convenience of being easily removed, as long as it's secure.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pumping Iron (1977) is a great movie/documentary about Arnold Schwarzenegger training for the Mr. Olympia title. At one point, they ask him if he likes women and his answer is classic. "I like skinny women, I like fat women. I like tall women, I like short women. etc." I'm the same way with lights - I like bright lights and I like dim lights. I like big lights and I like little lights. But just like experience has shown that Arnold has a weakness for Mexican maids, I have a weakness for AAA lights. I'm in and problably for all the versions you make. A copper one would be outstanding.

I'm not convinced about the Nichia 219 in this format. You might want to consider the XP-G2 4000K. Not hi CRI, but wonderful tint and more efficient.