Why do you catch and release flashlights?

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you get a light that youve been eyeing for awhile only to sell it shortly after? I do. ha
To me its like money in the bank. Just resell it and find another one and another. Till the right one comes along and becomes a keeper. Ive bought and sold some fine lights and in the end i managed to keep a couple big ones and a handful of fine edc's and have decided to narrow my preference to makoff products if im to spend money.
I do love my flashlight hobby. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel the same way you do. I tried so many lights in the past year or so, I have finally narrowed it down to the "keepers" and purchase the types of lights I like. It's all part of the fun of searching,purchasing,and waiting for that special light.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
There are a lot of lights that I would like to try, but I don't end up wanting to keep them. I definitely go through phases where I pick up a bunch of lights, then sell off the things that don't quite suit my needs. Unfortunately, I have ended up selling some things that I later regretted getting rid of, but that just helps me to focus in on what I like about particular lights.

Sometimes the only way to understand why a light is beloved on here is to try one for yourself. If you buy at a reasonable price, then the out of pocket cost can be pretty low when you sell it on to the next flashaholic. Though sometimes that method leads to a deep financial hole lined with custom titanium...

WilsonCQB1911

Enlightened
I guess I do that, although without really planning or setting out to do it that way. I acquired a small collection of lights and found that there were a bunch that I wasn't using or didn't love as much as I thought I would, so I sold them off. I've got about a dozen lights now, which is more than I need, and actually probably more than I want. I'd rather have a small collection of lights that I really love. I'm considering selling of my venerable U2 and my Streamlight, but they are serving duty as loaner lights and in the glovebox and kitchen. I could probably get rid of the E2DL, as the LX2 is pretty much the same thing and I enjoy it more. I could consider getting rid of the G2 as well since my 6P and C2 serve similar functions as P60 hosts. So far, the rest are safe.

JCD

Enlightened
I can't resist a great deal. I can't keep every light that I buy, but I can try almost every light that I buy. Catching and releasing lights allows me to try more lights than would otherwise be possible. Sometimes I'll get one and decide that I like it more than something already in my "keeper" collection, so I keep it instead.

Come to think of it, I need to thin my herd. If only it wasn't so difficult deciding which ones to get rid of!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was cycling through mass production lights, I usually gave away the ones that I put into retirement. I haven't done that in a while after finally settling on my dream P60 build.

Of course, I do swap the drop-in whenever newer emitters become available, but I'm happy with the functionality, ergonomics and UI, that I don't plan on getting a new light to replace it any time soon.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
A few years ago I had a number of reasons to buy as many lights as I did, all the way from thinking the next purchase really was going to be the perfect light, to curiosity over lights others seemed to hold in high esteem, and finally, only to hold in my hand for a short time lights which I really couldn't afford to keep, particularly the Tri-V.

Now that I have a range of lights I really like, I'm keeping the ones that are best for day to day usage, or make me happy in some other way, like my LS20, Titan, E1e/E2E pairing.

Their all still practical for some particular purpose, and find at least a little bit of in-hand time.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knowledge, needs, taste, finance, opportunity, emphasis, influence, information are among the many that makes me sell. It is never static.
Along the way, some are used often whilst others are slowly promoted to be shelf queens but the slide down that slope continues. There are too many talented builders constantly tempting me with the next purchase. When curiosity gets the better of me, the pocket will get emptier.
But I love the thrills and spills of this flashlight hobby.

Tana

Flashlight Enthusiast
I regretted selling a flashlight or a part from it in 99% of the cases (except where I was selling my duplicate or triplicate)... So I'm not like some of you guys... I admire how few of you impulsively buy a valuable thing... but then release it back into the world...

Plus some of my stuff I wanted for so long (months and months) and I just feel so bad even thinking about selling them back (like FiveMega E-series aluminum 18650 and 18500 bodies I bought a year ago)...

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
Knowledge, needs, taste, finance, opportunity, emphasis, influence, information are among the many that makes me sell. It is never static.
Along the way, some are used often whilst others are slowly promoted to be shelf queens but the slide down that slope continues. There are too many talented builders constantly tempting me with the next purchase. When curiosity gets the better of me, the pocket will get emptier.
But I love the thrills and spills of this flashlight hobby.

Exactly.
How can you find out what fits your niche without trying them? You can read and read about them (and there are plenty to try) but until you can actually use them you are just guessing.
I just try to try lights that i know i can release and pass a little discount to the next buyer. If its a quality light someone is looking for it somewhere.
This place is very addicting. And expensive.

Tana, yeah some of the stuff i have been searching for for awhile gets gone too. I try to not get attached to them all.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Exactly.
How can you find out what fits your niche without trying them? You can rear and read about them (and there are plenty to try) but until you can actually use them you are just guessing.
After a while when you've tried a wide range of lights and you learn how various members think then you can begin to ascertain whether a light may or may not be applicable to you. I very much agree with you for someone who has not yet done much in the field, and it applies to all things in life, but after a while it's no longer necessary to buy all to find out if they fit or not.

I just try to try lights that i know i can release and pass a little discount to the next buyer. If it's a quality light someone is looking for it somewhere.
This is part of the fun here, as long as you can afford the expense, and time.

...some of the stuff i have been searching for for awhile gets gone too. I try to not get attached to them all.
Kind of a let down, but that's where the learning curve lies I guess. Great points, all.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
I actually haven't bought that many lights myself, at least compared to how many knives I've bought. I'm a knife guy first, and flashlights occupy a special but separate compartment of my heart. :sssh:

That being said, the last couple of months have been that search for the "my light" piece. I had this hunt with knives as well, and after I found the knife that just sits in my EDC the rest was just fun and interest-based collecting. I've been through the slew of Foursevens Preons, all the Minis, some Quarks, Olights from the i1 to the S10, and some smaller brands I've only found from CPF and CPFM. Right now, I feel that I've stumbled onto "my light," which happens to be the SC52. So far, it works for pretty much whatever I need.

I still have fun using and trying out new lights, especially when the crazy pocket rockets find my attention. My propensity for buying a back-up/double of a light I really like also has me releasing a double of a light that I thought would be a regular carry piece but ends up being a collectible piece I don't really use much. I like to keep the lights I buy because if I actually bring myself to purchase a light, it's usually because I really was craving it.

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
I've never sold a light. In my mind I know I could and should but I bought them all for a reason and just haven't sold any. I have gifted a couple to family/friends tho so I guess that's how I release mine.

Flashlight Enthusiast
thousands spent

only 3.5 real keepers

klarus xt11 = 1
KuKu 44DD = 2
McGizmo Haiku = 3 + .5 (Flucero 5 speed High CRI XML LE)

I also have a PhotonFanatic custom, I don't regard that as a light, it is metal art