Gerber Cable Dawg mini-review

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, well I don't often write reviews...in fact, this may be my first here.

I recently acquired a Gerber Cable Dawg multitool. If you are not in the IT field, this probably is not going to interest you as the tool is basically dedicated to IT functions.

Anyway, I received it about a week ago and have been using it a bit to see how I like it. So far, it's worked great, though there are a couple of things that could be improved.

Pros:
Has a Cat-5 sheath stripper and RJ-45 crimpter built-in

Also has a cutter to trip the cat-5 wires prior to crimping and works very well for this. So far, it is still clipping the wires cleanly and with little effort.

Has removeable "pocket-knife" with built-in magnetic 1/4" bit driver (other handle contains bits for phone and ethernet use (like the SOG/Paladin tool) as well as several philips and flathead sizes.

Contains a wire-stripper for various sizes of wire.

The blade on the knife also contains a gut-hook -- not for skinning of game, but for cutting the sheathing of other cables lengthwise to access inner conductors.

Feels like a good quality tool and appears to be very well-made, for the most part.

This tool is made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty.

Cons:
The RJ-45 crimper is not the ratcheting type. Doesn't bother me, but may be an issue for some with weak hands, arthritis, etc...

The rubber bit-holder in the handle is pretty junky quality. It holds the bits ok (a bit *too* tightly in some cases), but after a few removal/replacement cycles, the keeper looks pretty bad.

The RJ-45 crimper and wire strippers even though they are modular (have screws to be able to remove/replace), are not meant to be field-replaceable. The entire tool must be returned to Gerber for warranty repair. I wanted to be able to purchase spares of these parts in case I was out in the middle of Afghanistan or some other god-forsaken place and needed to change them out. Nope.

Expensive...I think their list-price is somewhere around $600 for this thing? Not worth that, in my opinion. I was able to find it at quite a discount through a GSA/AAFES source, but even at what I paid, it's probably not worth that. I bought it to reduce having to carry around multiple tools as this one does resolve that problem pretty well.

Belt pouch was made in China. This bothers me...a lot, actually...so much so that I will be producing my own mil-spec pouch to carry this horizonally on my belt and/or to attach to my vest/pack w/MOLLE webbing.

Summary:

If you find yourself having to install RJ-45 connectors frequently, stripping other wires, using punchdown panels, etc., you may want to look into getting one of these. For many jobs, all you'd need was this tool, a handful of RJ-45's and a network tester. Beats having to carry around a separate stripper, crimper, screwdriver(s), punchdown tools, etc.

A couple of things this tool has over the Paladin/SOG tool is the built-in RJ-45 connector and also the fact that the punchdown bits are just that -- bits. They can be replaced when they become dull. I suppose the SOG/Paladin ones can also, but you'd have to disassemble the tool to be able to do this...not always an option when on mission-critical deadlines.

I am glad I got it and will be putting it to good use. Now I just need to obtain a decent network tester...

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Good review. I'm interested to hear your impressions now you've had the tool for a while, I am tempted to get one of these, as, although I'm not military, I do carry my tools on my back. As I already have the dedicated punchdown tool, wire stripper, cable shears and crimper, I'm trying to find an excuse to get this guy.