New knife maker

hig789

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

I am new to flashlights and I also started making knives a few months back. I am only using 1095 steel because I love making hamons on blades. I have yet to offer any knives up for sale as I am still learning and don't want to put out something that's not up to par. Here are a few pics of the hamons I have created. Thanks for looking.

This is the only knife I have finished completely. It's a skinner for my dad.
emejyny3.jpg
uhybuma5.jpg

Here's a few other hamons.
ma3uvubu.jpg
enuqyba9.jpg
ja6y3ega.jpg
ymu3ure9.jpg

Last edited:

hig789

Newly Enlightened
Scotch brite belts leave a very nice satin finish. You can still slightly see the hamon too.

I hope these are smaller, if not ill have to do it on the computer at home. Sorry.

y3ytypy3.jpg

Last edited:

MrDog

Newly Enlightened
That's a beautiful skinner. I like how the handle sort of blends in with the blade.
Nice job.

GTi474

Newly Enlightened
What's your HT process for your 1095? Using refractory cement to coat the blade? Looks like a good first blade. Cheers.

-Eric

TheExpert

Newly Enlightened
I started three months ago making knives, those grind lines are really nice. I think your quality is just fine. You will only get better with time. It is a hard skill to learn, especially free hand it took me a month to get it right.

Bruce Nai

Newly Enlightened
I am new to knife, I know there some famous brands, like Benchmade, Gerber and Leatherman. But I have been dreaming one day I can made an amazing knife myself. Hope to learn from the giants.

schmitti

Newly Enlightened
Very Nice! How thick is your tang?

Did you use G-10 or is that black micarta? Also, did you use a threaded insert/bushing for your screws?

I'm also planning on at least starting with 1095 when I cut my own blades. From everything I've been reading, it's a little more forgiving. It also costs a lot less. But if you HT it correctly, and keep it clean and oiled it will last forever and a day.

E