H502W initial impressions and beam shots

creyc

Enlightened
Bit the bullet and got a new H502W, just came in from the nice folks at Illumination Supply.

e2y3ezam.jpg

jeryja3y.jpg

vederu6e.jpg

(Hopefully the new tapatalk system downsizes these properly)

It's a really cool little light, and I can tell its going to get tons of use. The light is very floody as see in the beam profile. Like the SC52W with the same XM-L2 emitter, there is a noticeable green tint around the outside edge of the beam. Fortunately the lack of reflector spreads the "hotspot" wide enough that the outer green fringe isn't very noticeable. The upside is the output, which is excellent for a single AA light.

I'll be giving it a more thorough test this later this night when it gets dark.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review. I like mine too. Mine has a green fringe as well dang it. I like the settings & extra output on it compared to my H501w though. I still like the tint of the H501w better, and I like the L1 output on the H501w (not too bright to bother my wife next to me & not too dark to read with) better than any of the low output options on the H502w when it comes to reading in bed or in the tent. I don't really like the glowing part of the H502w that much, especially when walking around a campsite (looks goofy to me.) All-in-all it's a good upgrade to the H501w, but it could have been better IMO.

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the H502D and really like it. Very small and the UI is not as complicated as the write ups make it sound. Very useful for close up tasks. The H502W has more output and that could make it useful as a headlight. But what's with that green ring?
The guys at Illumination Supply are super.

creyc

Enlightened
I have the H502D and really like it. Very small and the UI is not as complicated as the write ups make it sound. Very useful for close up tasks. The H502W has more output and that could make it useful as a headlight. But what's with that green ring?

The green fringe seems to be pretty common with the new 'W' versions of Zebralights, although I don't think it's too noticeable on this model. The handheld SC52W has the same green characteristic, but having a much tighter beam the green fringe becomes more of a tight ring around the hotspot and plainly in the field of view. Because the headlight beam is so wide, the fringe isn't as noticeable. Still not great, but it seems to be the trade off for having a brighter emitter.

The guys at Illumination Supply are super.

That's for sure. I'll just say there were no surprises in how the tint looked before I bought it.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
there is a noticeable green tint around the outside edge of the beam. Fortunately the lack of reflector spreads the "hotspot" wide enough that the outer green fringe isn't very noticeable.

I can't see it on my screen but different screens etc. I do see a bit of yellow though in the picture so how thick is the green?

creyc

Enlightened
I can't see it on my screen but different screens etc. I do see a bit of yellow though in the picture so how thick is the green?

Luckily the floody aspect of the beam means the green tint stays mostly out of view for distance greater than about 4 feet.

I measured the beam to be about 120 degrees wide, with the outer 15 degrees on each side having the green tint. This leaves a very usable 90 degree center portion that's clean and fairly "neutral" to my eyes.

I'd estimate the tint to be the same as my SC52W, but its out for repair so I can't take a comparison photo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
The green fringe on mine is almost unnoticeable since the beam is so wide. I'd say 90% of the beam is a great neutral color with only the outer fringe being somewhat greenish.

Last edited:

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know of a side switch AA Zebralight with the same (or very much similar) flood beam to the H502W?

Asked Zebralight and am waiting on a further reply:

- - -

I have a H502w L2 AA Flood Neutral White, which is a headlamp that I use as an every day carry light.

The switch at the end allows it to turn on accidentally in the pocket that I carry it in, and want to try a side switch model, but want to keep the flood - which is perfect.

Can you tell me if the SC5Fc High CRI Floody Neutral White AA Flashlight will have the same flood beam pattern as the H502w L2 AA Flood Neutral White headlamp?

- - -

12/28/2018 12:55:30 PMNo. The Fc has a frosted lens over a reflector. You'll notice somewhat brighter center area. You can try add an extra layer of frosted film if you'd prefer very smooth (flood) beam on top of an SC53Fw/Fc.

- - -

Thank you.

Is there a side switch model with a flood pattern like the H502w headlamp?

geokite

Newly Enlightened
All the flood models are great for up close work. They are the only type I use around the house and for hobbies. Which one you get depends on brightness/battery life, and color temp.