Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Review

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Welcome to my head-to-head comparison of the JetBeam RRT-01 to the Sunwayman V11R. :party:

This quick shoot-out comparison will NOT be a full review of the RRT-01 (I previously reviewed the V11R at the time of launch). Instead, this "mini-review" is just to allow you to compare the build and performance of the lights.

For detailed specs on these models, please check out the manufacturers websites. The two samples undergoing head-to-head comparison here were both purchased from an online vendor in May, 2013. They are both using XM-L emitters (although I believe you can now get the RRT-01 with XM-L2).

Note that for the body pics and beamshots, I have used the original V11R that I was sent in 2012. The video, output/throw tables, and runtime graphs all show the new concurrent V11R shipping sample. :wave:

RRT-01:

RRT01013.jpg

RRT01012.jpg

RRT01011.jpg

V11R:

V11R004.jpg

V11R003.jpg

V11R001.jpg

I provide a detailed discussion of the build of lights (and their packaging) in the video overview below. Please check it out for more details.

RRT-01:

RRT01028.jpg

RRT01026.jpg

V11R:

V11R040.jpg

RRT01008.jpg

From left to right: CR123A; JetBeam RRT-01; Sunwayman V11R, M11R, C10R; Nitecore MT1C; OIight S10; Eagletac D25C.

All dimensions directly measured, and given with no batteries installed (unless indicated):

JetBeam RRT-01: Weight 46.2g, Length: 80.7mm, Width (bezel): 23.0mm
JetBeam PC10: Weight: 50.5g, Length: 93.6mm, Width (bezel): 22.6mm
Sunwayman V11R: Weight 50.5g, Length: 84.3mm, Width (bezel): 23.1mm
Sunwayman V11R with AA extender: Weight 59.70g, Length: 100.5mm, Width (bezel): 23.1mm
Sunwayman M11R: Weight 45.8g, Length: 76.4mm, Width (bezel): 23.1mm

RRT-01:

RRT01014.jpg

RRT01021.jpg

RRT01020.jpg

RRT01015.jpg

RRT01017.jpg

RRT01001.jpg

V11R:

V11R010.jpg

V11R005.jpg

V11R013.jpg

V11R007.jpg

V11R022.jpg

Again, please see my video below for a detailed comparison of the build quality and user interfaces.

To put it simply, both lights have a quality build, and both use a magnetic control ring to adjust output. However, the V11R also comes with a tail forward clicky switch (with choice between rubber or titanium boot cover), whereas the RRT-01 only has the control ring. And the feel of the control rings are quite different – again, see the video for a full discussion and depiction.

Video was recorded in 720p, but YouTube typically defaults to 360p. Once the video is running, you can click on the configuration settings icon and select the higher 480p to 720p options. You can also run full-screen.

As with all my videos, I recommend you have annotations turned on. I commonly update the commentary with additional information or clarifications before publicly releasing the video.

PWM/Strobe

There is no sign of PWM on either light – both are either current-controlled, or use a frequency that is too high for my oscilloscope to detect.

I did detect some high frequency signal noise on the RRT-01 oscilloscope traces, but this was not visible:

RRT01-Noise-MedHiRCR.gif

There is no strobe mode on either light, but there is a "hidden" SOS mode on the RRT-01:

RRT01-Strobe.gif

Standby Drain

A standby current drain is inevitable on the RRT-01, due to the lack of a physical on/off switch. There is no standby mode on the V11R.

For the RRT-01, the standby current fluctuated between ~50-65uA on CR123A (~55uA average). It was a little lower on 1xRCR, at ~30uA. For a typical 1400mAh CR123A and 750mAh RCR, this would translate into ~2.9 years before a fresh cell would be fully discharged, in both cases. This is not a concern, but you can always twist the head slightly to physically lock-out the light.

Beamshots:

And now, what you have all been waiting for. ;) All lights are on the indicated battery, and are about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

Note the V11R beamshots are based on my initial review sample. The more recent shipping sample is slightly brighter on CR123A, as shown in the runtimes later in this review.

1xCR123A Comparison:

RRT01-CR-Beam001.jpg
V11R-CR123A-Beam001.jpg

RRT01-CR-Beam002.jpg
V11R-CR123A-Beam002.jpg

RRT01-CR-Beam003.jpg
V11R-CR123A-Beam003.jpg

1xRCR (AW Protected 750mAh) Li-ion Comparison:

RRT01-RCR-Beam001.jpg
V11R-RCR-Beam001.jpg

RRT01-RCR-Beam002.jpg
V11R-RCR-Beam002.jpg

RRT01-RCR-Beam003.jpg
V11R-RCR-Beam003.jpg

RRT01-RCR-Beam004.jpg
V11R-RCR-Beam004.jpg

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, as described on my flashlightreviews.ca website. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lightbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

My summary tables are reported in a manner consistent with the ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.flashlightreviews.ca/FL1.htm for a discussion, and a description of all the terms used in these tables. Effective July 2012, I have updated all my Peak Intensity/Beam Distance measures with a NIST-certified Extech EA31 lightmeter (orange highlights).

Note that in all these tables, the V11R refers to the recent shipping sample.

RRT01-FL1-Summary1.gif

RRT01-FL1-Summary2.gif

Note that in all these tables, the V11R refers to the recent shipping sample.

Output/Runtime Graphs:

For the runtimes, the original review V11R (from 2012) is simply listed as "V11R". The new shipping sample is described as "V11R 2013".

RRT01-HiCR123A.gif

RRT01-MedCR123A.gif

RRT01-HiRCR.gif

RRT01-MedRCR.gif

The RRT-01 is driven slightly harder on max (on both CR123A and RCR), but otherwise performance seems pretty comparable. The two lights both have a similar regulation pattern, and overall output/runtime efficiency seems to be about the same.

Preliminary Observations

This "mini-review" isn't meant to be a detailed exploration of either the JetBeam RRT-01 or Sunwayman V11R. It is really just a quick comparison summary of the performance of two recent shipping samples of each light. You can check out my full review of the V11R for more info on that light.

In general terms, actual output/runtime performance is quite similar - although the RRT-01 is driven slightly harder on max, and can go to much lower "moonlight" levels. And both lights use a "visually-linear" ramp of output. Again, check out my V11R review for a discussion of what that means.

But I strongly recommend you check out the rather lengthy video comparison in this review. I spent more time than usual directly comparing and contrasting the build and user interfaces of these two lights in that video. In particular, the feel and performance of the control rings are quite different.

Personally, I think both are excellent lights – it really comes down to your build preferences. Hopefully the detailed comments in the video will help you with that. :wave:

Last edited:

MBentz

Enlightened
Nice comparison selfbuilt. Two days ago I was looking at exactly these two models for my EDC needs. The V11R won out for two reasons. The first is that you can run AA sized cells with the extender. I have massive hands and single CR123 celled lights are a bit too small to operate comfortably. The second reason is I wanted a clicky switch. I ended up spending some extra cash and bought the Mirage version of the V11R. It should arrive tomorrow and I'm very excited to play with it.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have massive hands and single CR123 celled lights are a bit too small to operate comfortably. The second reason is I wanted a clicky switch.
Yes, I concur. I have long fingers, and find it challenging to operate most 1xCR123A lights (my standard EDC is 1xAA). The tailswitch is also a bonus for me, as I worry about accidental activations on any EDC light.

Thad said, the RRT-01 does support 18350 (for longer runtime), and has even lower Lo modes (although I find the min mode of my V11R fine for middle of the night use).

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your efforts! :wave:

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Re

Is this your first comparison ( shoot out ) review? It's the first I've noticed. It is nice to see this because lights can be so similar and people wonder which one is best for them. This review will help.
Seeing no way to improve your reviews Selfbuilt, more of these comparisons are hoped for in the future.
Thanks again.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

Yes, this is the first head-to-head comparison I've done (although I've done a few other mini-reviews in the past). I would do more, but I don't generally have the time.

It's a shame, as I know the "round-up" reviews I used to do were also very popular. But they were time consuming to keep updated, and I am forever dealing with new light review requests. Every time I work on a round up means less new reviews. :shrug:

But I do struggle for a balance. For the time being, the recommendation page of my website is a resource I try to keep up to date. But I may do more of these head-to-head reviews (time permitting) if the need seems high. :wave:

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Jetbeam RRT-01 vs Sunwayman V11R (1xCR123A/RCR) Head-to-head Comparison Mini-Rev

this review is perfect. I've really been wondering how the V11R compared to the RRT-01 specifically. :) thanks a million selfbuilt!

Questions:
1. "I did detect some high frequency noise on the RRT-01, but this was not visible" --- are you referring to inductor whine (as in, that audible whine you can hear on certain modes with some lights)?

2. do you have any opinion on which has a smoother beam for the two OP reflector lights? It appears the RRT-01's OP is a bit 'rougher' (if I had to describe it with one word), in that the reflector's texture looks like the 'ridges' that make it orange peel are a lot more pronounced. Is it safe to say it appears the V11R has a smoother beam transition and so forth from hotspot to spill?

(I think I'll probably get the V11R "Mirage Edition")

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

1. "I did detect some high frequency noise on the RRT-01, but this was not visible" --- are you referring to inductor whine (as in, that audible whine you can hear on certain modes with some lights)?
No, I was referring to the signal "noise" (i.e., fluctuations) on the oscilloscope traces. There is no audible inductor whine on my ight, at any level.

2. do you have any opinion on which has a smoother beam for the two OP reflector lights? It appears the RRT-01's OP is a bit 'rougher' (if I had to describe it with one word), in that the reflector's texture looks like the 'ridges' that make it orange peel are a lot more pronounced. Is it safe to say it appears the V11R has a smoother beam transition and so forth from hotspot to spill?
Yes, that it my subjective impression as well - the V11R had less distinction between flood and spill. But it's hard to know how typical these results would be.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened

Awesome review selfbuilt, I too have been wondering about these two lights for a while. Have you tried lMR on both lights yet? I think you are using lCR on the graph?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Awesome review selfbuilt, I too have been wondering about these two lights for a while. Have you tried lMR on both lights yet? I think you are using lCR on the graph?
That's right, I use standard ICR for my runtimes (AW protected 16340). Haven't tried IMR, but it my experience it usually gives a small bump in output over the first couple of minutes (on max), and then slightly lower runtime overall.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, I was referring to the signal "noise" (i.e., fluctuations) on the oscilloscope traces. There is no audible inductor whine on my ight, at any level.

Yes, that it my subjective impression as well - the V11R had less distinction between flood and spill. But it's hard to know how typical these results would be.

Got it, thank you!

— Sent from my "not going to be released this century" iPad 62 'Quad' running iNOS (Apple's future neural interface OS) with the teleportation upgrade on Tapatalk 0.0.1.4 (beta) while Remote Desktop'd into Windows 98 SE.

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened

That's right, I use standard ICR for my runtimes (AW protected 16340). Haven't tried IMR, but it my experience it usually gives a small bump in output over the first couple of minutes (on max), and then slightly lower runtime overall.

The reason I asked is because on your D25C review, you mention it may not be safe to use lCR 16340 since the light is pulling too much current for the battery (I think should be safe if <1.5A?). I've been using 18350 on my RRT-01 and EYE10 so far, but I was wondering how much current the RRT-01 was pulling.

Thanks again for your review, it was the main reason I brought the 2013 version of D25CLC2 (NW XM-L2), D25C (NW XM-L2), D25C (XP-G2), D25LC2M, D25CM, and D25AM. My wallet is crying:mecry:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

The reason I asked is because on your D25C review, you mention it may not be safe to use lCR 16340 since the light is pulling too much current for the battery (I think should be safe if <1.5A?). I've been using 18350 on my RRT-01 and EYE10 so far, but I was wondering how much current the RRT-01 was pulling.
It's a good point, but I don't have direct measures how much curremt the emitter is drawing (for that, you would need to open up the head and desolder one of the emitter contacts). But I can tell from the battery draw (20 mins on ICR), that it is borderline too high for ICR. IMR would be a good choice if you planned to run it on max (although heat may be an issue). However, I don't regularly recommend IMR for regular use due to the lack of protection circuits (i.e., over-discharging a battery would be hazard when attempting a re-charge).

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened

It's a good point, but I don't have direct measures how much curremt the emitter is drawing (for that, you would need to open up the head and desolder one of the emitter contacts). But I can tell from the battery draw (20 mins on ICR), that it is borderline too high for ICR. IMR would be a good choice if you planned to run it on max (although heat may be an issue). However, I don't regularly recommend IMR for regular use due to the lack of protection circuits (i.e., over-discharging a battery would be hazard when attempting a re-charge).

Thanks, I usually try to recharge them often and only use the high for short periods. I recently brought a multimeter to check the voltage before and after charging.

MBentz

Enlightened

Well I received my V11R Mirage today. Build quality seems very nice, and I love the variable output. However, my ring varies in resistance while turning. Sometimes it's stiff just like in the video, and sometimes it's a bit looser like the Jetbeam. :(

Dubois

Enlightened

Well I received my V11R Mirage today. Build quality seems very nice, and I love the variable output. However, my ring varies in resistance while turning. Sometimes it's stiff just like in the video, and sometimes it's a bit looser like the Jetbeam. :(

Yep, mine is exactly the same. A little disconcerting at times. The RRT-01, in contrast, is a little loose, with a little bit of play in it, so much so that I worry it might accidentally turn on in my pocket.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm disappointed in the JetBeam. Looks pieced together by a committee, and the adjusting ring acts like it too. This is newer than the RRT0?

Not what I would expect for how much it costs.

What happened to sexy?

Thanks for the comparison.

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened

Hi Selfbuilt, thank you as always, for the great review. There are some folks (like me) who read all your reviews and seldom write, I really enjoy them and always learn lots!

Does the JetBeam overheat like the V11R does when you use it at full throttle? I sold my V11R because of that, however the Olight S-10 stays usable all the way on high. Also, will you be reviewing the new L2 versions of the S-10 and S-20? Thanks again.

alex21

Newly Enlightened

I'm disappointed in the JetBeam. Looks pieced together by a committee, and the adjusting ring acts like it too. This is newer than the RRT0?

Not what I would expect for how much it costs.

What happened to sexy?

Thanks for the comparison.

The V11R is certainly a more attractive light

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Does the JetBeam overheat like the V11R does when you use it at full throttle? I sold my V11R because of that, however the Olight S-10 stays usable all the way on high. Also, will you be reviewing the new L2 versions of the S-10 and S-20? Thanks again.
It certainly gets hot, yes. I haven't directly compared the two for heat, but I don't imagine there is much difference (i.e., it's hard to do much for heat management at max levels in such small lights). I recommend people run them below max. :whistle:

And yes, I will be reviewing the new XM-L2 versions of the S10 and S20.

I'm disappointed in the JetBeam. Looks pieced together by a committee, and the adjusting ring acts like it too. ...What happened to sexy?
The V11R is certainly a more attractive light
Beauty is subjective. ;) I suppose you could say the RRT-01 is more "stylish" with the silver accents. :whistle:

In any case, I generally prefer function over form. In this case, I personally prefer the V11R for its stiffer ring, on/off switch, and AA extender for my longer fingers.