MBI #4 - Get Ready to meet Zeus™

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting close to releasing more details on Zeus™, MBI creation #4.

There are still some things that need to fall into place before I'm able to release all the information, photos & specs but in the meantime, to offer a central place to post comments, "I'll take one's" and anything else, I've started this thread.

I'll update this post with more details once it's time, but for the moment here's what I revealed in my last subscriber update:

Code name: MBI ZEUS™

Power Source: 1x AA 1.2~1.5 volt / 1x 14500 li-ion
Modes: 2 (low/high)
UI: Forward Clicky (pushbutton) at the tail
Material: Stainless Steel / Aero Grade Aluminum - Graphite Black Type III
Version 1 Emitter: XML2 75 CRI 5000K
Emitter Pill: 100% Copper pill, with LED mounted on copper pcb, and the LED thermally bonded directly to the copper pill (not just the copper pcb) for blazing efficiency at high power.
Output: Bright
Reflector: Smooth
Beam Profile: Perfect balance of throw & flood (2 thirds throw, 1 third flood)
Ergonomics: No knurling but designed for a comfortable, non-slip grip, under extreme conditions
Water Proof: 10 meters
Trit Slots: 4
Modularity: Easily replaceable emitter/pill, Ultra Turbo throw head to follow, and some surprises.
Likely Accessories: Case, Holster, Clip (the heavy duty type held by 2 screws)
Other: The SS version makes a good hammer

Please note these specs may change in the production version, pending tests, feedback, etc.

The initial batch will most likely be a total of 24 Zeus™, 12 each in SS & AL.
I've made a number of prototypes and the last version is very near production ready status,
pending some final tweaks, decisions & confirmations.

Zeus is designed to be highly configurable, extremely tough and a whole lot more....

I was not planning to add any photo's yet, and may not be able to give away too many details for another 1-2 weeks
so thanking you for your patience in advance but as always, all feedback and posts are most welcome.

So for now, just this one quick pic...

IMG_2861-v2_zps89bbf166.jpg

Above: MBI Zeus™ Prototypes

The production version may be slightly different, or maybe not.

Tgwnn ...(original post ends here, will be adding more below)

FAQ - Not necessarily frequent, but I'll add potentially frequent questions that have been asked here.

Topic > Switch
Q. Can we use the switch (on/off l/h) underwater?
A. Yes, that is the plan. We'll need to test of course but the design goal is to allow you to use it Zeus underwater.

Q.What is the expected life of the clicky switch?
A. It will depend on the final choice but typically between 10,000 clicks as the absolute low end to 100,000 as a high end number.

Topic > Batteries
Q.Is it possible to use any kind of AA battery at that depth (10m)?
A.Yes. Just like being in a submarine that is pressurised.

Topic > Purchase / Timing
Q. When will Zeus be available?
A. I'm working towards an early December 2013 timeline.

Q. How will I know when its time to order?
A.
1)You can subscribe to MBI Insiders for product updates by email.
2)You can reserve a prioritized order slot for the Zeus first production
3)You can watch this thread as I'll post updates.
4)I will post on the MBI Facebook Page when Zeus is ready for sale.

Approximate Specs
Length: somewhere between 100mm ~ 150mm depending on how its configured
Max Output: Bright (still classified)
Run time on max: depending on configs, battery chemistry, somewhere between 10m~30m
Time limit for max: In the default config, no time limit expected.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy.... everything I want for a AA light. Any chance of a titanium/copper version as well?

Power Source: 1x AA 1.2~1.5 volt / 1x 14500 li-ion < Does this mean the voltage range exceeds 1.5v or there are 2 versions available?

Last edited:

stevenkelby

Enlightened
Hi Guy!

There are still some things that need to fall into place before I'm able to release all the information, photos & specs but in the meantime, to offer a central place to post comments, "I'll take one's" and anything else, I've started this thread.

"I'll take one" :D

AL please, X0004 will do just fine :D

Thanks for opening this thread while we wait :)

Best,

Steve.

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
I'm in for one also, Guy. Already toting an HF-R, waiting on a Torpedo, and preparing to order Zeus. Man, the excitement never ends with TGWNN. Always something to look forward to. Keep up the great work!!

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy.... everything I want for a AA light. Any chance of a titanium/copper version as well?

Power Source: 1x AA 1.2~1.5 volt / 1x 14500 li-ion < Does this mean the voltage range exceeds 1.5v or there are 2 versions available?

If we speek loud enough maybe :)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Guy! Can't wait!
Th8tredude
Thanks th8tredude ;)

I'm definitely in!
Thanks rejsr :)

Hi Zeruel,
Thanks and...
Ti/Copper, yes always a chance.
I'll definitely do a Ti version and would love to do at least one run in copper at some point.

On the power source, just 1 version, with some smart circuitry.

Hi Guy!

"I'll take one" :D

AL please, X0004 will do just fine :D

Thanks for opening this thread while we wait :)

Best,

Steve.
Thanks very much Steve :D

I'm in for one also, Guy. Already toting an HF-R, waiting on a Torpedo, and preparing to order Zeus. Man, the excitement never ends with TGWNN. Always something to look forward to. Keep up the great work!!
Thanks very much rebelbayou,
As with all new MBI threads/releases, expect the unexpected ;)

If we speek loud enough maybe :)
mcbrat,
I was looking forward to your "copper" post and yes, I absolutely have to make you one in copper :D

Tgwnn

TheCleanerSD

Newly Enlightened
Nice looking design. Not too flashy. Trits are a nice touch. Very interested in this light!
Count me in for a SS version sight unseen! May very well be the last AA light I ever need to buy!

Last edited:

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I`ll spam some:
I want one. Interested in a alu. Or silver, or kryptonite, or ti, or prototype, or a "x-run" of it.
That should cover it.:D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice looking design. Not too flashy. Trits are a nice touch. Very interested in this light!
Thanks TheCleanerSD :)

I`ll spam some:
I want one. Interested in a alu. Or silver, or kryptonite, or ti, or prototype, or a "x-run" of it.
That should cover it.:D
lol, thanks Jorn :)
except for silver, I think all options are covered ;)

Very nice, Guy! Will there be versions with more modes later on?
Thanks KuanR,
Yes, absolutely.
and because Zeus is designed with a drop-in pill, it will be easy to upgrade later to different tints, modes, etc.

I'm in too.

:D
Thanks TEEJ ;)

Must have this ASAP!!! Will be my first MBI for sure!
Hi markr6,

Thank you.

ASAP :twothumbs :D

Tgwnn

Tofty

Enlightened
I think it looks great, an elegant yet utilitarian light.
The pocket clip looks like it will give as deep a pocket carry as is realistically possible which is always nice.
Just having two modes is in my opinion the best option for a clicky.
Having the solid switch cover (if not too thin) gives the option for some fancy modders to make tritium slotted versions.
The switch must have to cope with quite a bit of current, is it an off-the-shelf part or a custom unit? Either way people will want to get hold of a small switch like that.

markr6

Flashaholic
I reread the OP and decided this could finally be the single AA torch I've been looking for!

So many lights got close, but they don't have a pocket clip which is a must. Others have come even closer, but fail to give a nice tint. The forward clicky plus tail standing is also at the top of my list.

It may not be as floody as I want, but will have to wait and see.

Above all, this thing is dead sexy! Trying to decide how much $$ this will be worth to me. Super excited!!!