Linear Locks

James3

Enlightened
Guys,
I have a Leatherman Wave, i want to stop the linear lock on the blades engaging and locking out, but also want to be able to make the blades lock out when needed. Is there a mod i can do for this to happen?

It is so it will be "legal" to carry in the UK so to speak, so long as people wouldnt be able to tell that it could lock out, but i could make it lock out when needed..:sssh:

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't carry a knife that locks open in the UK? That's insane, and unsafe! One of the worst self-inflicted cuts I ever had was from a cheap folding knife (looked like a Buck hunting knife, but was an even cheaper knockoff) that should have been locked open but folded up on me while I had my fingers around the handle.

I still carry cheap knives, but not *that* cheap. I'm pretty much anti-pain, unless it's inflicted by attractive females.

James3

Enlightened
Nope! we can carry a non-locking knife 3 inches or under!
nothing that locks...nothing over 3 inches daft really!
so im trying to make it that i can choose when the blade locks.

Jakeyb

Newly Enlightened
Just get a knife that locks, but pretend that it doesn't :naughty:

dss_777

Enlightened
I don't understand the obsession with locking blades. It's a nice feature, but not necessary. Most folding knives for like, EVER, didn't have locking blades and somehow we all survived. Maybe with with a few more interesting scars, but no one died. That I know of.

And, locks fail. Never trust a lock completely. Technique and skill matter more.

As to the original request, the people you are likely to be dealing with in this scenario are not as dumb as you might think they are. As someone once said, "the juice ain't worth the squeeze."

James3

Enlightened
I'm sorry but CPF can can not promote illegal activity. Please see this.
Bill
No this wouldn't be illegal activity, it would be taking something that Would be illegal to carry and turn it into something legal to carry, a leatherman wave is perfect for what I need it for, but you can not buy it without locking blades.

Yamabushi

Enlightened
No this wouldn't be illegal activity, it would be taking something that Would be illegal to carry and turn it into something legal to carry, a leatherman wave is perfect for what I need it for, but you can not buy it without locking blades.
To disable the liner lock and make the knife legal, you could simply bend the locking arm back so it won't engage or disassemble the tool and cut the locking arm off completely.

To make it look like it was disabled but "be able to make the blades lock out when needed. ... so long as people wouldnt be able to tell that it could lock out, but i could make it lock out when needed." would be illegal.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Would it still be illegal if the locking piece was a separate part you had to add temporarily, then removed it after use? Would it be against the law if the blade locked only while it was in use?